walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Pykestone Hill from Drumelzier

Pykestone Hill from Drumelzier

Postby dickens96 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:19 pm

Route description: Pykestone Hill and Drumelzier Law, Drumelzier

Donalds included on this walk: Pykestone Hill

Date walked: 27/12/2015

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 737m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A super Winter day in the Border Hills. Parked at Drumelzier as suggested in the WH route - there's space for three or four cars. Took the farm track rather than the one suggested here behind the cottage - after the dreadful rain the day before the burn was really high.
P1020981.jpg

P1020979.jpg

The track was very plashy and under water in places, but got better as it got higher. You can't really go wrong here, although there are a number of tracks heading off in various directions. I followed the one suggested here and for the first part it was a pleasant green track. Where it forks and heads up Dens Knowe it turns into one of these horrid scree-style hill tracks that make for difficult walking.
P1020985.jpg

Looking back there were superb views today - Tinto Hill, Culter Fell and North-West to the Pentlands
P1020987.jpg

P1020990.jpg

A little higher up the snow line was reached and the going got a bit more challenging - the path was covered over and often a foot or so deep, so walking on the bracken was the only option which made for a tiring day.
P1020988.jpg

P1020991.jpg

P1020992.jpg

P1020994.jpg

Eventually the trig point came in sight, and was reached.
P1030002.jpg

P1030003.jpg

P1030004.jpg

After a brief stop at the top - the wind was picking up - I went back the way I came and didnt take the optional routes of The Scrape or Drumelzier Law as it was clouding over and it had taken me longer to get up than I planned because of the snow.

Great place - will be back!
dickens96
Walker

Munros:2   Corbetts:2
Fionas:4   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:15   
Islands:5

Re: Pykestone Hill from Drumelzier

Postby Silverhill » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:40 pm

Superb, really lovely pictures of the snow dusted hills. :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Re: Pykestone Hill from Drumelzier

Postby dickens96 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:09 pm

Thanks - a great area and whenever I've been out there I've never seen more than one or two other walkers. Came across a party of four but other than that no-one yesterday. Its also not far from where I live so it makes for a quickish journey there although flooded roads around Broughton didnt help.
dickens96
Walker

Munros:2   Corbetts:2
Fionas:4   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:15   
Islands:5

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland