walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn An Lochain - Last one of the year!

Beinn An Lochain - Last one of the year!

Postby allymacp » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:09 pm

Route description: Beinn an Lochain

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn an Lochain

Date walked: 29/12/2015

Time taken: 3 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With the year end and Storm Frank fast approaching, the opportunities for Christmas holiday walking were beginning to run out. The weather for Tuesday provided a window, with fairly calm conditions in the west, and so a quick drive up from Glasgow and I was at the car park for Beinn an Lochain, just north of the rest and be thankful.

Its an intriguing hill, that sheer rock face that rises up at the end of Glen Croe above Loch Restil, the rough stepped ridge that rises from Butterbridge up into the sky. I've driven past it so many times but haven't ever considered giving it a shot, today was the day it fit the bill.

I joined one car at the lay-by and started around 9.15am, onto the boggy ground, only to be immediately halted by the quick and full burn tumbling over the Easan Dubh Falls. I assume this is usually an easy hop, this morning it was more of a run and long jump. Greg Rutherford would've been proud of the technique I'm sure! No slips, dry feet and off I went!

1.jpg
Boggy ground at the start

Onto the boggy ground and the easy to follow path rises steadily on to the north eastern ridge. The path is so easy to follow and well documented on here, so I'll try not describe the whole thing, but just my favourite parts of the walk! The minor scrambling came thick and fast and although not too tricky, the wet ground and rivers running down each step did require a bit more concentration. Still the sense of adventure is enjoyable, but hearing the traffic on the A83 takes away the isolation ever so slightly. I just moved quicker to get away from the road.

2.jpg
Minor scrambles

3.jpg

4.jpg

Up and up and I swear I could hear voices, but over every hillock of the ridge, there was nobody. Just assumed I was hearing things again!! The cars at the bottom suggested I might meet a few folk, and in the end I caught up with a couple of lads further up.
The scrambles continued and eventually the path became more rocky and not so wet. Small rain showers swept in, but as forecast they gradually stopped to leave a brisk wind which grew stronger the higher I got.

5.jpg
There were voices!

6.jpg
Onwards and upwards

7.jpg
Rock formations starting to get interesting...

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

There are a few sections on the way up where you look at the face and think, nah, there is no way theres a path up that! However it was absolutely great to follow the path up and into the clouds, round the rock features. I knew there were to be no views that day, but sometime I love being in the clouds if the scenery directly in front of you is spectacular. The wind by now was picking up, and there were a couple of moments where I hunkered down and let the bigger gusts past. The ridge became narrower, but the sky became lighter and I knew I would be reaching the top soon. As each false summit came into view, I reached the top just after 11am. I had barely stopped but for a few photos on the way up, and was looking forward to a cup of tea and caramel wafer. It was so gusty up top though, I took the obligatory selfie and turned right around, passing the two boys who were right behind me.

11.jpg
The top is there honest!

12.jpg
Happy hillwalker!

The views of the ridge emerging from the cloud as I descended were just as good as on the way up, and when I came down from the cloud cover, the views opened up a little more across Butterbridge & Glen Kinglas and I had my first glimpse of Loch Fyne to my left.

13.jpg

14.jpg
Definitely standing on this next time when the wind is less treacherous!

15.jpg

16.jpg
Out of the clouds

The descent was quick, some hands and backside sections to come down, and the scrambly sections were not as bad as I expected them to be. I passed another group and single walker on the way down, everyone stopping to chat for a moment before heading up themselves.

I made it back to the car for about 1230pm, got dried off and enjoyed my tea and caramel wafer finally! Although the views were restrictive, it was a great morning jaunt on the hills. People to chat to and a sense of adventure on the ridge in the wind. Definitely a hill to be taken on during the better weather though, and I'll return at some point.

2015 has been pretty good for me, racked up about 20 munros and a few corbetts along the way, here's to another year of exploring next year - Happy New Year everyone, all the best for 2016!
allymacp
Mountain Walker

Munros:147   Corbetts:23
Fionas:14   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:10   

Re: Beinn An Lochain - Last one of the year!

Postby katyhills » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:38 pm

It's a smashing hill, and yes - that rocky outcrop is fun to stand on!

Very cloudy when I was there too, so I'm planning to get up there again on a decent day. I was on Ben Donich a few weeks later and got a brilliant afternoon for it, so I caught some nice views then. It's a good short walk too. I was there on Sunday - more snow and ice than you had yesterday - the storm must have washed it away! I headed up to Bridge of Orchy yesterday but the weather was vile so I came home.

You've had a really good tally for the year - here's to 2016, hopefully with some good weather and lots more hills to climb :)
katyhills
Walker

Munros:120   Corbetts:28
Fionas:7   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:3   

Postby allymacp » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:23 pm

Cheers Katyhills! Got to say I left Arrochar behind once I had completed the munros, and forgot there is so much more great walking to be done here. Looking forward to my return! All the best for the new year!
allymacp
Mountain Walker

Postby hopper68 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:51 pm

Great pics and a good TR. Its a good hill to do.
I was done Beinn an Lochain on the 27thDec it was full of snow,
ImageUntitled by stephen oneill, on Flickr
hopper68
Munro compleatist

Munros:199   Corbetts:34
Fionas:17   Donalds:28
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:13   Islands:11

Postby onsen » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:42 pm

Enjoyed your blustery report. :thumbup:
onsen
Munro compleatist

Postby allymacp » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:28 pm

hopper68 wrote:Great pics and a good TR. Its a good hill to do.

hopper68 wrote:Great pics and a good TR. Its a good hill to do.

Nice one hopper68, indeed this hill has great character!

onsen wrote:Enjoyed your blustery report. :thumbup:

Cheers Onsen!
allymacp
Mountain Walker

Postby Guinessman » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:08 pm

Looks a great hill. I looked across to this from Ben Vane this April and wondered where the path was. Looks like one for the list.
Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland