walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

New Year circuit on Ime, Narnian & A'Chrois

New Year circuit on Ime, Narnian & A'Chrois

Postby weaselmaster » Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:05 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ìme, Beinn Narnain

Date walked: 01/01/2016

Time taken: 5.75 hours

Distance: 16.7 km

Ascent: 1537m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My first hills of the New Year just had to be a revisit to Ime & Narnain where I was repulsed by weather a few weeks ago. With Allison down at her dad's for Hogmanay I was able to get out myself. A good forecast was predicted, relief after all the rain and high winds. I set off to Arrochar on quiet-ish roads and arrived at Succoth for 8.30. "Succoth" is a strange name - always reminds me of the writings of HP Lovecraft and the Chthulu stories. Anyhow, there were quite a few cars arriving whilst I got my boots on - hills going to be busy today.

ime3.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Up the zigzags and along the path by the Allt a'Bhalachan - last time I was here it was wading knee deep in snow - today just a thin covering is on the rocks and doesn't impede progress. I can see the mighty outline of Ben Arthur over to my left and, as I get round towards the end of Coire Bhalachan, I can see Beinn Ime, which had been hidden from me on my previous visits. I'm pleased to see the snow has largely been blasted from the South-east slopes - I found it hard going ploughing up through snow with poor visibility before. I pass a couple also out for Ime and stride off along the path, through the gate in the fence and up the side of the mountain. Looking behind me, Ben Arthur keeps changing shape and looks most impressive with a garland of mist. It really is a lovely morning.

Arrochar
ImageP1110765 by Al, on Flickr

Ben Arthur
ImageP1110769 by Al, on Flickr

Beinn Ime
ImageP1110772 by Al, on Flickr

Narnian & Arthur
ImageP1110776 by Al, on Flickr

I can see the rocky outcrops where I turned back a few weeks ago. No problems today however. I stop to pull on my windstopper as it's rather cold in the exposed areas high up. Over the first top and onto the summit - snow has filled in much of the space around the cairn. I don't stop long, tread easily down the hillside mostly following my own tracks. A few folk are coming up, and I can see activity over on Narnian as well. The snow is a bit thicker as I start to ascend Narnian, but again not problematic. Occasional frozen areas cause slippiness under foot but there's no requirement for crampons today. A tricky short section of snow covered boulders to negotiate then it's up onto the summit plateau of Narnian. I meet a guy who's looking for a sheltered spot to put up his radio signal - the wind is chopping and changing direction, so it isn't happening for him. I've decided to head along the NE shoulder down to Creag Tharsuinn and head over to the Corbett Top of A'Chrois - haven't really scoped out a descent route from there. I stop and have some lunch and look at my map - seems straightforward to continue along down Sron nan Eun and head back down the pipeline track.

ImageP1110781 by Al, on Flickr

Ime Summit
ImageP1110782 by Al, on Flickr

Arthur
ImageP1110784 by Al, on Flickr

Narnian summit
ImageP1110786 by Al, on Flickr

It is cold and claggy as I finish my coffee - another walker surprises me by coming past and heading the way I'd planned. Oh well - can't argue about a trail to follow when there's snow and clag :D The scenery around is impressively rocky and rough, with great views over to the snow topped cone of Ben Lomond. There's a bit of undulation - I'm thoroughly enjoying being out today. I think this is a fine way to do these hills. I almost meet up with my pathmaker but it is clear he's not doing A'Chrois, so I turn off to the left and rise gently to its summit. Good views down Loch Lomond and Loch Goil, just a bit too much haze in the sky for pictures to look good. I come off A'Chrois the way I went up and find the outline of a path to follow into Coire nan Each - quite steep in places, but a sitting glissade does the trick on soft snow. I can see the guy ahead of me and we do finally meet and exchange Happy New Year greetings. I press on ahead, due south, making for a track I can see that leads to the dam inlet. The going is a bit wet and boggy once the snowline has been left behind but after all the recent rain not as bad as I'd feared. I pick up the trail which takes me down to the narrow muddy pipeline path. I muse as I descend - this was our first Munro back in Sept 12, lots of experience and adventures have occurred since we walked up this particular path. Back at the (mobbed) car park I have a cuppa and prepare for the short drive home. A fine day out.

Lomond
ImageP1110789 by Al, on Flickr

My pathmaker in the distance
ImageP1110792 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1110794 by Al, on Flickr

A'Chrois
ImageP1110795 by Al, on Flickr

View down Loch Goil
ImageP1110796 by Al, on Flickr

Lomond again
ImageP1110797 by Al, on Flickr

A'Chrois summit
ImageP1110798 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1110800 by Al, on Flickr

View back to Coire nan Each
ImageP1110802 by Al, on Flickr

Lomond
ImageP1110805 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1110806 by Al, on Flickr
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:195   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Re: New Year circuit on Ime, Narnian & A'Chrois

Postby Collaciotach » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:34 pm

Nice one a bhalaich :clap: :clap:

Planning my Corbett assault which is beginning in January with a Winter Offensive :wink:

Succoth = An Socach (the snout) or a tongue /spit of land by water
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby weaselmaster » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:43 pm

Collaciotach wrote:Nice one a bhalaich :clap: :clap:

Planning my Corbett assault which is beginning in January with a Winter Offensive :wink:

Succoth = An Socach (the snout) or a tongue /spit of land by water

Aha - didn't think of that. Not quite as otherworldly mysterious as Lovecraft, but there you are.

Enjoy your Corbetts, Colla
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:195   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby dan_the_dingo » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:38 pm

weaselmaster wrote: I meet a guy who's looking for a sheltered spot to put up his radio signal - the wind is chopping and changing direction, so it isn't happening for him.

That would be me :D Hello, nice to meet you. I did eventually find a spot out of the wind, back towards the top of Spearhead Buttress.

You have some grand photos there, good job, I ended up heading down past the Spearhead and over Cruach nam Miseag before dropping back to the weir on the main path.

I've only been over to A'Chrois the once, about 3 or 4 years ago I'd guess, dropped my glove on the way down the Sron nan Eun, don't suppose you found it? :lol:
dan_the_dingo

Munros:169   Corbetts:66
Fionas:32   Donalds:54
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:149
Wainwrights:128   Islands:10

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland