walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Hogmanay in the Lammermuirs, Part 2: Spartleton

Hogmanay in the Lammermuirs, Part 2: Spartleton

Postby superstar_tradesman » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:00 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Spartleton

Date walked: 31/12/2015

Time taken: 1 hours

Distance: 4.3 km

Ascent: 230m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After Part 1, Cockburn Law, our second Hogmanay hill was a sunny and breezy Spartleton. We parked up at a small parking area just where the B6355 crosses the Whiteadder reservoir on an unusual concrete causeway/bridge/dam. and walked back along the road to a gate.

We headed up a small valley, slanting up the SE side to join the track from Millknowe farm, which took us through a couple of fields teeming with game birds. Instead of passing the ruined Gamelshiel Castle, we turned NE, through a gate and onto the heathery hillside.

2015-12-31 12.47.01 small.jpg
Winter sun over the Whiteadder Reservoir

Eventually we reached an unmapped, but very good track, which took us all the way to the summit trig. Spartleton is a great viewpoint, if you can see past the wind farms. To the south, the Cheviot was now clear, and to the north, North Berwick Law, the Bass Rock and the Isle of May lit up occasionally as they caught the sunlight, with Fife lying dark and brooding beyond. This part of the Lammermuirs is very visible from the Angus hills and (I think) Lochnagar too, so I guess the views back should be pretty good on a clear day too.

2015-12-31 12.51.40 small.jpg
Summit cairn and some windmills

2015-12-31 12.53.22 small.jpg
Zoomed view to North Berwick Law and the Bass Rock

2015-12-31 12.53.54 small.jpg
Big sky, the Cheviot and Dirrington Great Law

Our descent was quick and direct, past lots of shooting butts, to the head of the reservoir, and along a track back to the car. A quick coffee and then we decided to head over to Longformacus and try for Dirrington Great Law before the rain returned…
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

superstar_tradesman
Mountain Walker

Munros:170   Corbetts:31
Fionas:16   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:82   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Re: Hogmanay in the Lammermuirs, Part 2: Spartleton

Postby dickens96 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:16 pm

Glad you enjoyed it - I did it two or three years back in the Summer. At least you seemed to get down again better than I did - I totally lost the track!
dickens96
Walker

Munros:2   Corbetts:2
Fionas:4   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:15   
Islands:5

Postby superstar_tradesman » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:25 pm

dickens96 wrote:Glad you enjoyed it - I did it two or three years back in the Summer. At least you seemed to get down again better than I did - I totally lost the track!

It's a cracking wee hill, with terrific views! We didn't see a path track at all on the way down, but thankfully the going wasn't too bad. I wouldn't like to be out there when there's grouse shooting going on, though…
superstar_tradesman
Mountain Walker

Munros:170   Corbetts:31
Fionas:16   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:82   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby laconic surf » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:26 pm

My local hill!
I usually park in the very small area at the bottom of summer hill and walk past Gamashiel castle and straight up. I think I've summited about 150 times and never tire of the view - I've even grown accustomed to the crystal rig windfarm! It's amazing how far you can see on a clear day
Great stuff 8)
laconic surf
Munro compleatist

Munros:100   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:2

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland