walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Harter Fell and High Street snowy solo wanderings

Harter Fell and High Street snowy solo wanderings

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:00 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Harter Fell (Far Eastern Fells), High Raise (Far Eastern Fells), High Street, Kidsty Pike, Mardale Ill Bell, Rampsgill Head

Hewitts included on this walk: Harter Fell (Far Eastern Fells), High Raise (Far Eastern Fells), High Street, Rampsgill Head

Date walked: 20/12/2008

Time taken: 7

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 1000m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

jacob wrote:There's some lovely pictures in between them. Nice one. :thumbup:
Snow, falling on icy untreated roads, made my early morning drive to Haweswater an interesting one. Mine was the only car in the car park at the head of the lake - on a day when I had the hills entirely to myself.

Above the car park, the "North Face" of Harter Fell loomed in the dawn sky.
ImageIMG_2870 by Tim Pearce, on Flickr
The plod up to Gatescarth Pass was uneventful, but by the time I reached the summit of the pass the sun was fully up and illuminating the higher fells - but Harter Fell itself cast a deep shadow over the valley.
ImageIMG_2879 by Tim Pearce, on Flickr
I've climbed Harter Fell many times - this was one of the most memorable. As I reached the northern top of the fell, I could see across to Blea Tarn and the skyline of High Street, Rampsgill Head, Kidsty Pike and High Raise.
ImageIMG_2919 by Tim Pearce, on Flickr
Snow layers patterned the summit ridge.
ImageIMG_2920 by Tim Pearce, on Flickr
And I could look down on the full length of Haweswater surrounded by frosty fells.
ImageIMG_2923 by Tim Pearce, on Flickr
More snow layers in the foreground of this view over towards Kentmere Pike: Morecambe bay in the background.
ImageIMG_2930 by Tim Pearce, on Flickr
Harter Fell's summit cairn combines stones and old bits of iron - "spectral weirdness... an adornment that has a nightmarish quality" says Wainwright. However today it looked more like a Christmas cake covered in icing sugar.
ImageIMG_2949 by Tim Pearce, on Flickr
I could see right over to the Western Fells - skyline is Crinkle Crags, Bowfell, Scafell, Scafell Pike, Great End.
ImageIMG_2940 by Tim Pearce, on Flickr
There was also a nearer view of the Ill Bell - Froswick ridge, with the faraway Coniston fells beyond.
ImageIMG_2956 by Tim Pearce, on Flickr
As I started down the ridge towards the Nan Bield col, I noticed this wind-blown pattern of snow layers.
ImageIMG_2957 by Tim Pearce, on Flickr
Kentmere reservoir, Yoke and Ill Bell from the slopes above Nan Bield.
ImageIMG_2973 by Tim Pearce, on Flickr
More snow formations, these near the top of Mardale Ill Bell.
ImageIMG_2979 by Tim Pearce, on Flickr
I wandered over to the southern edge of High Street's summit plateau for the view towards Windermere and Morecambe Bay.
ImageIMG_2982 by Tim Pearce, on Flickr
The wall at the top of High Street was plastered with blown snow.
ImageIMG_2998 by Tim Pearce, on Flickr
Looking westwards from the summit - Fairfield's Cofa Pike and St Sunday Crag, with a skyline of Dollywaggon Pike, Nethermost Pike and Helvellyn beyond.
ImageIMG_2994 by Tim Pearce, on Flickr
Similar but wider shot - left of Helvellyn is Catstycam, White Side, Raise, Stybarrow Dodd, Great Dodd and Blencathra.
ImageIMG_3011 by Tim Pearce, on Flickr
Wind-scoured snow alongside the wall north of High Street's summit.
ImageIMG_3021 by Tim Pearce, on Flickr
It was as if someone had used a giant brush and comb set.
ImageIMG_3016 by Tim Pearce, on Flickr
Soon I could see Hayeswater, with lots of ice on it.
ImageIMG_3025 by Tim Pearce, on Flickr
A cloud started growing on Fairfield. The sunlit hill in the foreground is Knott.
ImageIMG_3054 by Tim Pearce, on Flickr
The top of Rampsgill Head gave me a great view down into Martindale.
ImageIMG_3057 by Tim Pearce, on Flickr
Cloud was building over the higher fells as the sun started to go down. This is a view from the col between Rampsgill Head and Kidsty Pike.
ImageIMG_3079 by Tim Pearce, on Flickr
After visiting Kidsty Pike and High Raise, last stop before the descent was Low Raise, with a sombre twilight prospect of Blencathra above a series of frosty ridges.
ImageIMG_3084 by Tim Pearce, on Flickr
The cairn on Low Raise was plastered with snow on the east, and looked back towards massing cloud on the high fells.
ImageIMG_3086 by Tim Pearce, on Flickr
The west side of the cairn, in contrast, looked out over a peaceful evening scene towards the Pennines.
ImageIMG_3083 by Tim Pearce, on Flickr
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by HalfManHalfTitanium on Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Re: Harter Fell and High Street snowy solo wanderings

Postby jacob » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:33 pm

There's some lovely pictures in between them. Nice one. :thumbup:
jacob

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:19

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:01 pm

jacob wrote:There's some lovely pictures in between them. Nice one. :thumbup:

Thanks!! it was a great day
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Postby ChrisW » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:55 pm

You certainly seemed to have timed that perfectly HMHT, what wonderful views, so few footprints of others around too (always a good thing :wink: ) Love the photos, particularly the 'snow pattern' shots...lovely :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:15 pm

ChrisW wrote:You certainly seemed to have timed that perfectly HMHT, what wonderful views, so few footprints of others around too (always a good thing :wink: ) Love the photos, particularly the 'snow pattern' shots...lovely :clap:

Cheers Chris, yes it was a great day, so beautiful that I couldn't go wrong really with the photos! Thanks! tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Postby trailmasher » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:06 pm

A damn decent report with great photos and snowy conditions :clap: There is so much to see from 'up there' :D and you made a great job of advertising the area :clap: maybe too good when other walkers see what there is :lol: :lol:
Well done you 8)
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:32 am

trailmasher wrote:A damn decent report with great photos and snowy conditions :clap: There is so much to see from 'up there' :D and you made a great job of advertising the area :clap: maybe too good when other walkers see what there is :lol: :lol:
Well done you 8)

Cheers trailmasher, yes despite the lack of sharp pointy peaks, the fells east of Kirkstone are among my favourites, less fashionable than others maybe - but that is part of their charm!

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland