walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

helm and calf crag round

helm and calf crag round

Postby d gwynn » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:53 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Calf Crag, Gibson Knott, Helm Crag, Steel Fell

Date walked: 18/07/2013

Time taken: 3

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 629m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was a quick little walk done after our drive up from the south of the country, although a bit of a tuffy in the weather we were having, 28 degrees with very little wind! We started at ghyll foot and followed the footpath up to steel fell, some good views up to borrow dale and over to helvelllyn and thirlmere.We then contoured round to calf crag and then on down to gibson knott where the terrain changes to rough underfoot conditions and somewhat ridge like up to helm crag, which is topped by a single finger of rock which when you are on top of it you can see the entire round you have just walked. (left the camera in the car!!! doh :crazy: ). It is then straight forward to follow the zig zags off of helm crag that start at the col north west of the summit then back to the car and off to our camping pod.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

d gwynn
Munro compleatist

Munros:33   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:114
Wainwrights:200   

Re: helm and calf crag round

Postby ChrisW » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:17 am

left the camera in the car!!!
Nothing sucks like stopping to take a pic and then realising you don't have the camera :roll: ..... :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: helm and calf crag round

Postby The English Alpinist » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:11 pm

'Nothing sucks like stopping to take a pic and then realising you don't have the camera' - I abandoned an entire walk because of that (before it had even started!). Stopped to take a great view of the fells I was going to climb, and realised the camera was.. at home. Killed my morale. Still, this report was very useful even without pics. I was wondering if it was doable in 3 hours, and able to park up at that point. You answered my questions thanks!
The English Alpinist
Mountain Walker

Munros:56   Corbetts:11
Fionas:22   Donalds:18+10
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:214   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland