walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

2 day wild camp

2 day wild camp

Postby davetherave » Wed May 26, 2010 8:32 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chreachain, Beinn Achaladair, Beinn an Dòthaidh, Beinn Heasgarnich, Beinn Mhanach, Creag Mhòr (Glen Lochay)

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn nam Fuaran, Cam Chreag (Auch)

Date walked: 21/05/2010

Time taken: 25 hours

Distance: 51 km

Ascent: 4260m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

2-day camp

Date. Friday 21st – Sunday 23rd May 2010
Completed by. Dave, Julie and Wilson
Weather. Hot with blue skies
Time. ?
Distance. 51 km
Ascent. 4260m
Hills. Munro’s x 6
Corbett’s x 2

Orchy mixed bag.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Beinn an Dothaidh, Beinn Achaladair, Beinn a Chreachain, Beinn Mhanach, Beinn Heasgarnich and Creag Mhor

Beinn Nam Fuaran and Cam Chreag

Starting from.

Bridge the Orchy Hotel

Once again we packed our big bags for a couple of glorious days wild camping in the hills around the Bridge of Orchy. This was always going to be a large round for us with 6 munro’s and 5 Corbett’s planned…

Arrived and set off by 2pm on the Friday, weather was sunny but cool, perfect for walking. We eventually reached the Bealach separating the 2 Munro’s and then headed straight up to the top of Beinn an Dothaidh following the whole ridge and catching the high points as we went.

Beinn An Dothaidh (2).JPG

Beinn An Dothaidh (1).JPG
Looking to Beinn Alachadairs ridge from Dothaidh

From here the views were fine across Rannoch Moore and beyond, and better still the fine ridge of Beinn Achaladair our next mission looked fantastic. It was a pretty steep drop of Beinn an Dothaidh, but once down there the gentle ridge walk up to Beinn an Achaladair was just what the legs needed.

Beinn Achaladair (1).JPG

Beinn Achaladair (3).JPG
Steep descent off

We carried on to Meall Budhe before making the final climb on to Beinn a Chreachain. By this time we were really feeling the pace with the big packs and the warm weather taking its toll. We decide on setting up camp at Gleann Cailliche on the south side of the stream. It seemed a very long and steep drop before we reached the glen. Once down in the Glen we crossed the burn and find our spot for pitching the tent.

Beinn An Chreachain.JPG

Saturday morning arrives and the weather is amazing… Rise 6.15am, sun bathe for a couple of hours. We eventually set off by 10.45 ish for the Munro Beinn Mhanach, we aim for a small looking hanging coire, from there it’s on to the final steep climb prior to the summit.

Day 1 camp.JPG

back to Beinn An Chreachain (1).JPG

Beinn Mhanach.JPG

Beinn Mhanach (3).JPG

From here we head SSW down and then up on to our 1st Corbett of this trip Beinn Nam Fuaran. Weather still good, but come the summit 4pm ish the temperature seems to be nearing its peak, still the views are mighty fine with Loch Lyon and the surrounding hills looking superb.

From Beinn Nam fuaran (1).JPG

Loch Lyon (3).JPG
with the unexpected tracks that we took for heading to Beinn Heasgarnich

Beinn Heasgarnich next, we drop off the East ridge of the Corbett and down to the head of Loch Lyon. We planned to cut over An Stuc and then up to the ridge of Beinn Heasgarnich but our luck is in, and there is a track up the edge of Loch Lyon leading to the glen, from here we head straight up onto the North ridge, only 250m of ascent to go now before the summit is reached. The 700m of ascent have killed our legs we decide on a high camp at the 1029 spot height and hope for some fine views in the morning.

Heading for Heasgarnich ridge (2).JPG
Creag Mhor looking fine

Loch Lyon (5).JPG

Heading for Heasgarnich ridge (6).JPG

Heading for Heasgarnich summit.JPG

High camp inversion (1).JPG

High camp inversion (3).JPG

Sunday morning woke at 5.30 am, rain is dinging it down; it eventually stops 3 hours later. Another late start but now we are moving towards Creag Mhor. Descending via Sron Tarbh we are soon climbing the slopes of Creag Mhor…. Steep to start with, then higher up it becomes very steep with plenty of crags to negotiate through… we decided on a slightly trickier route with some hands on scrambling.

Sron Tarbh (1).JPG
november 2009

Sron Tarbh (2).JPG
May 2010

Creag Mhor summit.JPG

Creag Mhor summit (2).JPG

We descend SW round the rim of the coire and on to Stob nan Clach, its from here that the long ridge of the Corbett Cam Chreag comes into view. Looking back now we took the wrong route up to the ridge, I assumed the summit to be nearer the SE end. We ended up on a rather challenging slog to reach the ridge. Even from the ridge I was not 100% sure of where the summit was so I dumped the bag and ran to the SE end of the ridge and stood atop the highest points. I’m sure that it was from here I realised that the summit was at the far end. So another 1km along the ridge we go to reach what turned out to be our last hill of the day.

steep crags of Cam Chreag (1).JPG

Ben Challum from Cam Chreag (1).JPG

Ben Challum from Cam Chreag (1).JPG

It was now 4pm as we sat atop Cam Chreag, the other 3 Corbett’s would have to wait!

We decide to descend the N ridge for about1km past the summit and drop into the glen; we skim round the lower SE ridge of Beinn a Chaisteil and pass the waterfall. From here we are soon on the track and make for the underpass/bridge at the horseshoe in the railtrack where we take a well earned 10 mins rest. From here the last 6/7 km seemed unbearable… somehow we found the strength to march it at some pace along the west highland way route to the Hotel at the Bridge of Orchy in 1hr 10 mins.

Would still dearly love to shave some weight off the packs though, my pack is 17km and the wife is carrying about 12km. If we can drop a couple kg from each pack im sure this would be a major boost.
Attachments
Waterfall off Cam Chreag.JPG
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Re: 2 day wild camp

Postby kinley » Wed May 26, 2010 8:59 pm

Another great list-mixer 8)

Enjoyed that - although it did make me wonder why I didn't camp last weekend :D
kinley

Postby monty » Wed May 26, 2010 9:05 pm

What an epic round Dave. That must have been seriously tough. Well done

Not sure what your tent weighs but you may be able to loose a couple of kgs on a lighter tent and sleeping bags? :D
monty

Postby fingeez » Wed May 26, 2010 10:18 pm

Nice report dave and some fantastic views :)

Buy the dog its own wee backpack and give him a few kgs lol
fingeez
Mountain Walker

Munros:115   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:11

Postby maddjock » Thu May 27, 2010 8:19 am

nice trip and report...
re the pack saving weight... I've recently replaced a lot of my gear and gone lighter... still a long way from ultralight, but im happy with what im carrying now... My walk to skye saw me carry around 14kg... that was for everything I needed for 6 days, including what i was wearing but not including the weight of my boots or water.

The biggest weight savings come from replacing your rucksack, tent and sleeping bag. (although at a cost). I have the same tent as yourself, but dont intend replacing that yet. A good strong lightweight rucksack can come in at under 1kg now, and a down sleepingbag at well under 1kg.
maddjock
Hill Bagger

Postby gaffr » Thu May 27, 2010 9:15 am

Just a dawdle for young Wilson. You can almost 'read him' at a little distance from your camp site...why the heck are we stopping to camp here? A real mixed bag of a trip. The 'famous five Ronnies' in that area was enough for us on a grand day out from near the high point in the road above Crianlarich. The Kinley method of getting around the tops is 'catching' on. :) Great stuff from the true hilltravellers!
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby Graeme D » Thu May 27, 2010 3:27 pm

Really enjoyed this Dave - gave me a little insight in to some of what I have planned on a multi-day jaunt around Loch Lyon I have planned for early July starting from Tyndrum and taking in many of the hills on your route and a few others as well - not planning on going as far over as Achaladair and Creachain, but certainly grab the 5 Ronnies closest to the road and hopefully get as far out as Meall nan Subh e.t.c. :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Graeme D » Fri May 28, 2010 2:29 pm

davetherave wrote:Beinn Heasgarnich next, we drop off the East ridge of the Corbett and down to the head of Loch Lyon. We planned to cut over An Stuc and then up to the ridge of Beinn Heasgarnich but our luck is in, and there is a track up the edge of Loch Lyon leading to the glen, from here we head straight up onto the North ridge, only 250m of ascent to go now before the summit is reached.

Hi again Dave!

Just looking at your route in a bit more detail, with my proposed Loch Lyon circuit in mind. Do you know if the track you mentioned and which is clearly visible in one of your photos running along the south shore of Loch Lyon goes the full length of the loch? Depending on which way round I go, and also how feasible I think the whole proposed route actually is, I'd be going one way or the other between Heasgarnich and Meall nan Subh to the east. The ground looks (and everything I've read seems to confirm this) a bit grim in between, so it might be worthwhile taking the drop down to the loch side if the going was on a good track.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby davetherave » Fri May 28, 2010 6:43 pm

Hey guys,
Thanks again for all the comments, its always worth the time posting a report on this site. :D

Graeme Dewar wrote:Hi again Dave!

Just looking at your route in a bit more detail, with my proposed Loch Lyon circuit in mind. Do you know if the track you mentioned and which is clearly visible in one of your photos running along the south shore of Loch Lyon goes the full length of the loch?

Loch Lyon.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Loch Lyon (3).JPG
South West End

Loch Lyon.JPG

The Map shows a track on both sides coming from the east side.
My Loch Lyon picks show tracks on the S/W end... i would like to think that they meet somewhere in the middle.
Personally i think the track goes all the way round.

Hope this helps Dave

Ps.... my quo mapping shows the track on the south side stretching all the way along to the glen between An Stuc and Heasgarnich, for some reason when i up loaded the GPX file on to this site, the track does not go as far along. Looks like walk Highlands is using an older version of OS maps!!
davetherave

Postby grahamjb21 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:51 am

What a fantastic report with some excellent photos & what a coincidence.
I am planning a 2-3 day backpack around there in a couple of weeks & my plan is to do the 7 munros in an anticlockwise direction.
I plan to start from Bridge of Orchy walk along the West Highland Way & up into Glen Coralan do Creag Mhor Beinn Heasgarnich & then drop down to Loch Lyon then onto the other 5 from there & I wasn't sure of the route or terrain down to Loch Lyon but after reading your report it looks a lot more doable.
I will write my report on return

Cheers
Graham
grahamjb21
Scrambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:97
Wainwrights:214   

Postby davetherave » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:04 pm

Graham
Good luck with your planned trip, a few points to mention. Try and do the Corbett Cam Chreag on your way in, it is quite steep coming off the NE face even when you drop off the ridge at about half point along the NE side. We certainly had fun coming coming up it.
Once on to Stob Nan Clach it is then a fine walk round the Coire on to Creag Mhor. :D

NE face of Creag Mhor is steep also, so a bit of care is needed here. I would not class it as a scramble, but do go easy. Fine views of Sron Tarbh to be had about halfway down.

!st time i did this route back in Nov 2009 i nearly crapped my self when Sron Tarbh came in to view with its snow covered top. I had limited experience back then and just thought there is no way i can get up here. ( then and now pics in the post)

Some more tough bits to come, but im sure that you will cope well.. If i recall most of the steeprer parts you will be doing going in the up direction. Is that good or bad.? :?

Look forward to reading your report Dave
davetherave

Postby davetherave » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:05 pm

Graham
Good luck with your planned trip, a few points to mention. Try and do the Corbett Cam Chreag on your way in, it is quite steep coming off the NE face even when you drop off the ridge at about half point along the NE side. We certainly had fun coming coming up it.
Once on to Stob Nan Clach it is then a fine walk round the Coire on to Creag Mhor. :D

NE face of Creag Mhor is steep also, so a bit of care is needed here. I would not class it as a scramble, but do go easy. Fine views of Sron Tarbh to be had about halfway down.

!st time i did this route back in Nov 2009 i nearly crapped my self when Sron Tarbh came in to view with its snow covered top. I had limited experience back then and just thought there is no way i can get up here. ( then and now pics in the post)

Some more tough bits to come, but im sure that you will cope well.. If i recall most of the steeprer parts you will be doing going in the up direction. Is that good or bad.? :?

Look forward to reading your report Dave
davetherave

Postby grahamjb21 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:03 am

Hi Dave what a weekend hot sunny weather & very dry underfoot, finding drinking water was a problem.

Walked in from Bridge of Orchy Friday afternoon camped below the summit of Cam Chreag, very hot day with little
water on the tops.
Saturday morning woke in the early hours cold in my 2 season bag, just 1 deg inside my tent.
Cold northerly today, kept them little bas*ards away , sunny & clear. the climb up onto Stob nan Clach reminded me just
how hard Munros are then a fine walk around the head of the corrie to Creag Mhor, went NW from the summit to avoid
the crags before dropping to the bealach then another hard climb to the summit of Beinn Heassgarnich. Went north
along the summit before dropping into Allt Fionn Glinne for a well deserved cuppa & lunch. Followed track around Loch
Lyon before the relentless ascent of Beinn Mhanach, walked north west from the summit to find a nice flat grassy spot
for my overnight camp, with the wind keeping the midges away. Very dry on the mountains finding drinking water was a
problem, just a trickle for overnight camp had to boil all my water.

From overnight camp on Beinn Mhanach walked below the corrie of Beinn Achaladair to pick the ridge up at spot height
813, dropped rucksack just bellow Meall Buidhe & went out to Beinn a Chreachain & back with map & camera in shorts,
free from all that weight, bliss. Then off up Beinn Achaladair with my home strapped to my back again. Had lunch in the
sun at coire a Ghabbhalaich, no water around for a cuppa this time & not a lot left in my bottle, could have laid there a lot longer, but reapplied factor 25 & off up Beinn Doldaidh, strange summit the one further west looked higher & coming off the initial summit at 993 looked higher than the real one.
Just one more to go for today & my feet were beginning to complain, very sore in this hot weather, took the path around
the front of Beinn Dorain, with superb views straight down to the road below, the path seemed to go a long way before
climbing to the summit. Stopped to apply first aid to my poor toes before the long desent back.

Stayed in Crainlarich youth hostel Sunday night, to avoid a midge infested camp, & some very nice person in the bed next to me snored all night!! Decided to have a coffee in the morning drive to Callander & go home, had breakfast in Callander felt guilty & drove back to Dalrigh to do a couple more. A bit pushed for time today so put running pumps on & walked & jogged these 2. After 2.5 days backpacking it felt great, T shirt shorts a bum bag wonderful. A long run out through the forest with a steady climb & I was soon in the corie with a fairly easy climb up onto Beinn Dubhchraig. The mist had started to clear & I got fine views of Ben Oss, just as well as my compass was in my backpacking sack in the car. As usual I took the long route to Ben Oss, excellent views of Ben Lui from the summit, then the more direct route back, felt great to be running through the mountains. Got up to Cloud down to the tree tops this morning in Crainlarich but not too bad by the time I got going.
grahamjb21
Scrambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:97
Wainwrights:214   

Postby mountainstar » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:25 am

Great report and route, my sort of outing....hills, wildcamping and backpacking all in one.
That tent does look a bit big and heavy for that sort of thing, especially if you want to shed some weight.
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby CurlyWurly » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:02 am

Excellent report this and my kind of walk. Ditch the guide books and do your own route, tagging in lots of peaks on the way. Great stuff :)
CurlyWurly
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:47
Fionas:17   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:51
Wainwrights:50   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland