walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Scafell Pike

Scafell Pike

Postby Guinessman » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:18 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Scafell Pike

Hewitts included on this walk: Scafell Pike

Date walked: 08/01/2016

Time taken: 6

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Been desperate to get out lately. Its been 3 weeks since Scotland when I was on Sgiath Chuil, Meall Glas and Ben Challum but it seemed longer. Been checking MWIS lately to try and find a decent day so I get out for the first time this year. Friday morning was forecast wet and cloudy with the day changing around midday to drier but cold. Thoughts about what route to take were affected by the recent Cumbrian deluge so I thought I would do a route where the paths were predominantly rocky and thus less likely to be boggy. I decided to do Scafell Pike via the Corridor route. Its a hill and route I've probably been on 30+ times over the years buts its always a good route to keep the fitness levels up.
With the forecast in mind set off a bit later than normal and got to Seathwaite around 09.45hrs after a bit of a to do with a farmer and his landrover on the road down from Seatoller to Seathwaite. It was raining on arrival so waterproofs were on from the start. I'm always stuck on what to wear underneath waterproofs as I hate walking in them especially uphill so opted for a Helly Hansen polyester vest with the cagoule on top. Hat was on straight away and gloves after about a mile. I rarely wear a hat and gloves even less as I tend to walk warm but the driving rain and wind were freezing my fingers. The gloves stayed on all day.
Set off along the track to Stockley bridge then up the trade route up to Styhead tarn. At this stage I could see that the snow level was down to around 1300 feet and the cloud not much above it. Stopped for a brew at the stretcher box using the box as shelter and then set off on the path before turning off at the start of the Corridor route. The snow was lying at the start but was wet and no problem to walk in. The rain continued turning to sleet and occasional hailstones as I climbed. I brought my ice axe but intentionally left the crampons in the car after studying picture's during the week. Reached the rock step which was no problem being full of wet snow and then around the path at the top of Piers gill. The snow as I climbed stayed wet turning a bit firmer around the col on Lingmell. From there it was a 700 feet up into the clouds to the top of Scafell Pike, with the snow turning a bit firmer underfoot.
Snow depth on top of Scafell Pike was around 2". The wind was around 20 mph gusting to 40mph. Temperature was around -3 and visibility down to 50 metres. Donned a spare jacket but didn't hang around much on the top due the conditions. Got the ice axe out to drop down to the col to Broad crag but didn't really need it as the snow was soft enough for foot placement. Went back via Broad crag, Esk Hause ,Sprinkling tarn and Styhead tarn getting back to the car at 4.15pm.I normally do Great end as well but gave it a miss on this occasion. Dropping down to the valley it seemed that the snow around the Scafell range area was around 1600 feet but in the rest of the lakes around the 2000 ft mark.
A good short winters day for the first of the year

Towards the clouded over Scafells

The ground just after the rock step the Corridor route

Piers gill

The route down to the top of Piers Gill

Lingmell through the clouds from the shoulder of Scafell Pike

Not much visibility on the top slopes of Scafell Pike

Summit shelter Scafell Pike

Sprinkling tarn

Last edited by Guinessman on Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Re: Scafell Pike

Postby jacob » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:56 pm

Not much visibility, and yet great pictures. Squint your eyes and they're abstract paintings. Nice composition on first one.
jacob

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:19

Postby dav2930 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:38 pm

Good effort Guinessman; navigation not always easy in those conditions :clap: Very atmospheric photos.
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby ChrisW » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:15 pm

What have we done to ourselves when we can't take it any more and just have to get out irrespective of conditions :lol:

Well done on stretching the legs in some difficult (but better than it has been ) weather Guinnessman, I'm still hoping it's going to clear up over there soon and suspect everyone else over there is too :roll:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Guinessman » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:47 pm

jacob wrote:Not much visibility, and yet great pictures. Squint your eyes and they're abstract paintings. Nice composition on first one.
dav2930 wrote:Good effort Guinessman; navigation not always easy in those conditions :clap: Very atmospheric photos.
ChrisW wrote:What have we done to ourselves when we can't take it any more and just have to get out irrespective of conditions :lol:

Well done on stretching the legs in some difficult (but better than it has been ) weather Guinnessman, I'm still hoping it's going to clear up over there soon and suspect everyone else over there is too :roll:

Thanks for the comments. The shots I just took into the gloom, I was trying to show a poster on another forum what it can be like this time of year. First outing this year I've been desperate to get out having to resort to doing 4 mile local walks in crap weather when I cant get further afield
Guinessman
Walker

Postby The English Alpinist » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:11 am

Nicely done. Gives me confidence for a few weeks time when I'm hoping to go up to Scafell,Bowfell, Pillar etc (not on the aame day!). I'd be nervous about going up alone in snow in the Eastern Fells if poor visibility. Interesting decision to leave the crampons but take the ice axe. I did that the other way round for Swirral Edge in snow just before Xmas!
The English Alpinist
Mountain Walker

Munros:56   Corbetts:11
Fionas:22   Donalds:18+10
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:214   

Postby trailmasher » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:15 pm

Good effort Guinessman :clap: good report and pics despite the weather. You obviously and fortunately had no problems over the boulders on your way back which can be bad just on a wet day :crazy: Well done :clap:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179

Postby Mal Grey » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:27 pm

Proper conditions! Still enjoyable though.

Think the last 3 times I've been up Lakeland hills have been pretty much like that.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Guinessman » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:23 pm

The English Alpinist wrote:Nicely done. Gives me confidence for a few weeks time when I'm hoping to go up to Scafell,Bowfell, Pillar etc (not on the aame day!). I'd be nervous about going up alone in snow in the Eastern Fells if poor visibility. Interesting decision to leave the crampons but take the ice axe. I did that the other way round for Swirral Edge in snow just before Xmas!
thanks for that, don't know if I misread your comment but did you mean Western and not Eastern? With regard to the crampons I don't actually like using them ,the extra height makes me feel unsteady on my feet and if conditions allow I'd rather leave them In the car or the rucksack!
Guinessman
Walker

Postby Guinessman » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:25 pm

trailmasher wrote:Good effort Guinessman :clap: good report and pics despite the weather. You obviously and fortunately had no problems over the boulders on your way back which can be bad just on a wet day :crazy: Well done :clap:
thanks for that ,despite my many visits up there I don't think I've ever found an easy way through the boulders on the way to Broad crag!
Guinessman
Walker

Postby Guinessman » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:27 pm

Mal Grey wrote:Proper conditions! Still enjoyable though.

Think the last 3 times I've been up Lakeland hills have been pretty much like that.
you're right proper conditions it's something I regard as a challenge that I can't turn down!
Guinessman
Walker

Postby The English Alpinist » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:46 pm

Guinessman wrote:
The English Alpinist wrote:don't know if I misread your comment but did you mean Western and not Eastern? k!

Whoops, Westerns of course. The ones that have Scafell in them!
The English Alpinist
Mountain Walker

Munros:56   Corbetts:11
Fionas:22   Donalds:18+10
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:136

Postby OpenC » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:57 pm

Great stuff :) I wouldn't even have begun to contemplate going by the corridor on a day like that, if only because of that rock sloping down to that abyss :)
OpenC
Munro compleatist

Munros:93   
Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:86
Wainwrights:132   

Postby dav2930 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:54 pm

The English Alpinist wrote:
Guinessman wrote:
The English Alpinist wrote:don't know if I misread your comment but did you mean Western and not Eastern? k!

Whoops, Westerns of course. The ones that have Scafell in them!

According to Wainwright's guides the Scafells are in the Southern fells. Come on now chaps, pay attention! :lol:
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Guinessman » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:17 am

More like SW, I regard Coniston as the deep South!
Guinessman
Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland