walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Breaking the half century at Bridge of Orchy

Breaking the half century at Bridge of Orchy

Postby jonny616 » Tue May 25, 2010 12:14 pm

Route description: Beinn Achaladair and Beinn a'Chreachain

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chreachain, Beinn Achaladair

Date walked: 22/05/2010

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 1270m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Once again we set out from Glasgow under a clear blue sky. Down in numbers to just two for this trip due to others work commitments & a feeble excuse about a wedding. This will be my seventh walk of the year in good to great weather conditions so i'm wondering what the penance will be or is the payback for all the wet trips last year?

Parked the car in the car park kindly provided by the people who's farm it is, breakfast roll consumed while booting up & then headed of beside the wall to the left of the car park. There is a sign saying to the hill, but only follow it if you are going to climb Achaladair first.
CIMG2331.JPG
Beinn Dothaidh from Achaladair farm

We were headed to the bridge over the tulla staying with the track untill we could see the bridge, with good views of the hills & ridge along the way.
CIMG2337.JPG
Beinn Achaladair

After crossing the bridge the path becomes a bit scetchy, but we had the walk notes so when we hit the railway line followed it untill we found the underpass.

Then followed the dear fence up towards coire an lochan, hanging left before reaching the lochan having picked a spot on the ridge to aim for. this was a bit of a slog in the hot conditions. Some deer apeared on the ridge to check us out, but too far away for a decent pic.
CIMG2346.JPG
Lochan a Chreachain

Once on the ridge this is a glorious walk especialy with the good weather the views across Rannoch are just stunning & once you reach the summit of Beinn a Chreachain you can see all the hills on the other side.
CIMG2354.JPG
Ridge to Cheachain with Achaladair in the distance

Before we headed for the summit we had a wee sit down for about 20 minuits just taking in the scene. Watching the cloud come across glen coe which was very hazy looking.
CIMG2356.JPG
Summit of Beinn a Chreachain
CIMG2359.JPG
Hazy fantazy. Creise & BEM

From the summit the drop down is straight forward with an on off path. Once down you can either go straight up the edge of the ridge to get the views or take the diagonal path wich takes you gradualy to the ridge. We did a half & half.

Once on the ridge at Meall Buidhe we stoped for lunch. As Beinn a Chreachain was my 50th munro ( 2 years to the day from my first) i had brought two stella's with me and after a pie & a pint, so to speak, a little dozze was in order.
CIMG2361.JPG
Post lunch

40 minuits later down to the bealach before heading steaply up to the summit of Achaladair.
CIMG2363.JPG
Steep accent of Achaladair looking back to Creachain
CIMG2365.JPG
Ben More & Stob Binnien

The cairn is right on the edge & the drop is pretty impresive.
CIMG2369.JPG
Looking down to the farm
CIMG2372.JPG
Summit of Achaladair

From this point the ridge walk is still fine, but seams wrong as you are walking in completly the wrong direction form were the car is. With the great weather we ambled along taking our time. Once at the head of coire Daingean the path is obvious most of the way, but even after all the dry weather it is still boggy in parts. Here we also came across our first midges ( much chat on the forum about this)

All in all a great, if long walk.
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Re: Breaking the half century at Bridge of Orchy

Postby mountain coward » Wed May 26, 2010 3:13 am

Still have that to do yet so thanx for the pics - any likely problems for mountain cowards on the ascent of Chreachain? I keep reading little snippets in the books about one tricky bit getting up to the summit from the loch?
mountain coward

Postby monty » Wed May 26, 2010 8:57 am

Nice report Jonny,
Well done on reaching the 50 :D Some nice pictures too. Strange to have a summit cairn right on the edge :shock: And yeo the midges are out and they will soon be biting :lol:
monty

Postby fedupofuserids » Wed May 26, 2010 12:05 pm

Thanks for the pics, I've just been discussing this as a possible trip this year :D
fedupofuserids

Postby jonny616 » Thu May 27, 2010 3:46 pm

mountain coward wrote:Still have that to do yet so thanx for the pics - any likely problems for mountain cowards on the ascent of Chreachain? I keep reading little snippets in the books about one tricky bit getting up to the summit from the loch?

This is a perfect mountain coward walk, no tricky bits at all.

This picture shows the path to the summit of Chreachain once you are on the ridge. The loch is out of shot on the left & we came up to the ridge were the snow patch is & as you can see its grassy all the way to the ridge. If you go clockwise as we did.
CIMG2355.JPG
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby mountain coward » Fri May 28, 2010 12:06 am

Thanks :D that's what I thought from my study of the map! I will be doing it clockwise and it looks fine - thanks again! Wonder what the book was on about?
mountain coward

Postby snodland » Fri May 28, 2010 11:48 pm

Oooh No - Mountain Coward. Best Go straight up Choire Achaladair first of all. Then you can choose 1) whether to go up to the bealach or straight up the really really grassy west side of Achaladair (it cuts at least a half hour/hour off the trip - it really is safe ) and then go on to Creachin.Then 2) The extended flat walk along the side of the Watewr of Tulla is after descending Creachin and when you are knacked, rather than before you have even worked up a sweat.And even after a good summer the descent/ascent path along Coire Achaladair is a Bog Fest

But the view at the top of both munros is one of the widest vistas I have ever seen on Scottish Hill, stretching from Ben Cruachan in the west up north to Nevis and the Grey Corries and Over to Drumochter Hills in the east.So go do it
snodland
Munro compleatist

Munros:89   Corbetts:17
Fionas:14   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:5

Postby mountain coward » Sat May 29, 2010 8:35 am

Well I'd seen there was another grassy ridge up and couldn't understand why the book was suggesting going all the way round to the end of Creachain to climb it instead of just bashing up the side - but perhaps it's to see the lochan? You can probably see it from the summit anyway though? I know the views must be good though from doing the surrounding Munros - they were good views :D
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland