walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Chonzie

Ben Chonzie

Postby jupe1407 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:33 am

Route description: Ben Chonzie via Glen Lednock

Date walked: 16/01/2016

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 14.6 km

Ascent: 730m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The forecast looked half decent, and itching to get out (despite carrying a knee injury) I was looking for some easy-ish hills to tick off. Ben Chonzie was closest, and eventually defeated my initial choice of Carn na Caim and A'Bhudeneach Bheag, as 1. I couldn't be bothered with the A9, and 2. I've put off Chonzie for years, writing it off as a boring hill to be done in winter on a nice day.

I decided to knock off two plans in one day by stopping off at Kinnoull Hill for sunrise. This time of year is perfect as the sun rises roughly in line with the Tay.

Kinnoull Hill-1.jpg

On to Chonzie. It is regarded as a boring hill, and it pretty much is, ie follow the track, hit the fenceline and follow to the summit. However, additional interest was provided by long stretches of solid ice on the track, and the snow coming in earlier than expected. On the way up I ignored the cairn to head up the southern slopes as I'd seen a group of guys struggling through thigh deep stuff, so instead stuck to the track, following the tracks helpfully made by someone else breaking the trail :lol:

By the time I hit the fenceline the snow was on, and visibility was poor, which made my decision to hump the good camera up all the more annoying. Reached the cairn, exchanged pleasantries with a group of students, ate a cheese piece in record time and headed back down the same way. However the track was a tad more challenging as a thin blanket of snow had now disguised the large ice patches. Luckily I was able to find them by stepping on them and going my length twice.

Back to the car in 4h 35m, which wasn't bad considering the injury and expanse of horrible sticky snow in the last 200m of the climb.

Here's my only photo from Chonzie.

20160116_131707.jpg
Yay.
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Re: Ben Chonzie

Postby katyhills » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:16 am

jupe1407 said:

However the track was a tad more challenging as a thin blanket of snow had now disguised the large ice patches. Luckily I was able to find them by stepping on them and going my length twice.

I do that frequently - usually ten minutes from the car on an innocuous piece of grass :roll: :lol:

Well done on getting there - that first pic is lovely.

It's pretty challenging at this time of year isn't it! :D
katyhills
Walker

Munros:120   Corbetts:28
Fionas:7   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:3   

Postby jupe1407 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:54 am

katyhills wrote:jupe1407 said:

I do that frequently - usually ten minutes from the car on an innocuous piece of grass :roll: :lol:

Well done on getting there - that first pic is lovely.

It's pretty challenging at this time of year isn't it! :D

I tend to faux-pas on walk-outs, probably because i'm tired and just want to get to my car :lol:
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Postby rockhopper » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:10 am

Nice early morning photo :thumbup:
Pity the weather closed in - seemed to worsen a lot faster than forecast earlier on Friday -good to get out though - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Silverhill » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:25 pm

Well, a good decision to head for an easy hill, with the weather turning out like it did. At least you had the view from Kinnoull Hill. Great picture btw. 8) I hope your knees were none the worse after the walk.
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby Jaxter » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:27 pm

I waited 10 minutes for Scotrail wifi to load that sunrise picture. Worth every second of it - stunner! :clap:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby jupe1407 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:53 am

rockhopper wrote:Nice early morning photo :thumbup:
Pity the weather closed in - seemed to worsen a lot faster than forecast earlier on Friday -good to get out though - cheers :)

Thanks Rockhopper. Always good to get out :D

Silverhill wrote:Well, a good decision to head for an easy hill, with the weather turning out like it did. At least you had the view from Kinnoull Hill. Great picture btw. 8) I hope your knees were none the worse after the walk.

Thanks Silverhill, I wouldn't have fancied my original choice much in worsening weather. Shorter drive home as well :lol:

Also, knee was fine, it was more my a*** after falling twice in comical fashion that was hurt. Should get the knee operated on in late March, hopefully. Cheers.

Jaxter wrote:I waited 10 minutes for Scotrail wifi to load that sunrise picture. Worth every second of it - stunner! :clap:

Thanks Jaxter. I've been planning that one for a while. It's also weird only having to walk for about 10 minutes to reach a trig point :lol:
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Postby Tomsie » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:57 am

Good to see you back out JP, hope the knee's holding up, great photo of the Tay. :)
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:167   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby jupe1407 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:04 am

Tomsie wrote:Good to see you back out JP, hope the knee's holding up, great photo of the Tay. :)

Thanks Tomsie ... first time out since September :shock:

Hopefully get out a lot more in summer :)
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Postby Petr Dakota » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:36 pm

Good decision to stop there and catch the sunrise...worthy view and great morning's photo :clap: 8) :clap:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland