walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Aonach Eagach Ridge

The Aonach Eagach Ridge

Postby murphy999 » Sun May 16, 2010 3:28 pm

Route description: Aonach Eagach

Munros included on this walk: Meall Dearg (Aonach Eagach), Sgòrr nam Fiannaidh (Aonach Eagach)

Date walked: 12/05/2010

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 9 km

Ascent: 1100m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The Aonach Eagach, with its pair of Munros and foreboding reputation had occupied our conversation for much of the past week. Similar to many of the worlds best laid plans it was formulated in the pub when confidence was running high and clarity had all but disappeared.

Driving north the mountains were draped in fresh snow but blue sky punctuated with white cloud promised it wouldn't last for long. All too soon the familiar sight of Stob Dearg loomed in the distance, the early rays of the sun showing every detail of its imposing face.

Arriving in Glencoe village we parked up and caught the bus back through the gorge to the beginning of the climb. Immediately apparent was the severity of the gradient required to make the ridge but the advantage was a speedy height gain. Upon attaining the summit of Am Bodach the grandeur of the Aonach Eagach was revealed and we were at once confronted with the first major obstacle of the day, a twenty metre drop.

As always with these scenarios the thought was infinitely worse than the task and we gained the ridge for the first time with little difficulty. What quickly became clear however was the scale of exposure we were to be confronted with for the remainder of the climb, on either side the drop to the glen was massive and immediately called for a steeling of our composure. From hereon there was no way off but forward and we committed fully to the ridge making our way up the first of the many pinnacles that lay between us and safety.

Travelling east to west it was difficult not to squander most of the day capturing the stunning surroundings. The views south to Stob Coire Sgreamhach and Bidean Nam Bian, north to the Nevis Range and west to Stob Dearg are among the most spectacular in the world and deserve undivided attention.

A series of pinnacles were surmounted with maximum exposure and bum clenching scrambling with the effect that I could not watch most of my climbing partners manoeuvres. The chancellor soon loomed to our left hanging over the glen, tempting the climber but we resisted its lure and made our way further west to the infamous chimney, a fifteen metre gash in the rock. Plenty of handholds and firm footing made for an unexpectedly easy ascent and we were soon on the peak, only to be confronted with a further dose of exposed scrambling. The most difficult of these being an awkward climb on the southern side which reveals the lack of distance between you and a fatal fall.

This exposed scrambling is the dominant theme for the ridge and the last of the pinnacles are a welcome sight. A sting in the tail is the short but steep pull up Stob Coire Leith and then the second Munro Sgorr nam Fiannaidh but we persevered and were rewarded with views to the Atlantic far in the west. A phenomenal end to a memorable day.
DSC00612.JPG

DSC00603.JPG

DSC00588.JPG

DSC00584.JPG

DSC00567.JPG

DSC00563.JPG

DSC00554.JPG

DSC00548.JPG

DSC00547.JPG

DSC00535.JPG

DSC00536.JPG

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by murphy999 on Mon May 24, 2010 7:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
murphy999
Stravaiging

Munros:57   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:7   

Re: The Aonach Eagach Ridge

Postby gaffr » Sun May 16, 2010 3:41 pm

Nice set of images on what looked for the most of the time a pleasant day out.....still a bit of winter about with the frostings in a few places. Many thanks.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby soulminer » Sun May 16, 2010 5:31 pm

Always a pleasure to read a report on the Aonach Ridge, well done to you both 8)
Cheers for posting :)
soulminer

Postby kevsbald » Sun May 16, 2010 10:46 pm

Good stuff guys - you should have done the Chancellor though - great pics to be had down there - you'll just need to do it again... 8)
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby murphy999 » Mon May 24, 2010 8:00 am

Cheers guys, we had few hairy moments but it was worth it. We are now planning to return when winter comes around, which I am sure will be a completely different prospect.
murphy999
Stravaiging

Postby monty » Mon May 24, 2010 8:49 am

Nice report Murphy.. along with some scary pictures :D My second and third munros a few years ago. I just remember looking ahead and down and thinking. ooooo my god must keep moving :lol:
monty

Postby maddjock » Wed May 26, 2010 8:41 am

great report... really well written...

monty wrote:Nice report Murphy.. along with some scary pictures :D My second and third munros a few years ago. I just remember looking ahead and down and thinking. ooooo my god must keep moving :lol:

second and third munros....? phew 8)
maddjock
Hill Bagger

Postby monty » Wed May 26, 2010 9:00 am

Yep Madjock,
My nephew (Danrun) was trying to finish me off. Come to think of it he is still trying :lol: :lol:
monty

Postby skuk007 » Wed May 26, 2010 1:28 pm

Was up in Glencoe last week looking at the ridge, scary enough from the road. I was advised on three separate occassions that week not to do the ridge if I'm just interested in the Munro's at either end as the ridge is crumbling quite badly in places. As if it wasn't difficult enough. :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby mountain coward » Thu May 27, 2010 3:23 am

Well I keep saying it but... if you don't want to do the ridge, read my 'Aonach Eagach for Cowards' :D Takes a bit longer but very pleasant! You can also bag the Pap of Glencoe while you're at it...
mountain coward

Postby murphy999 » Thu May 27, 2010 5:56 pm

Well done Mountain Coward I had read that it was possible to hit Meall Dearg from Kinlochleven but the lure of the ridge drew me in. I can't wait for it in winter now that I have got the route mapped in summer.
murphy999
Stravaiging

Postby mountain coward » Fri May 28, 2010 12:04 am

That's where me and you differ mate - I'm very glad to see the back of it! :D (and I did literally :D )
mountain coward

Postby Graeme D » Fri May 28, 2010 11:00 am

A superb narrative - and nice piccies too. This has given me a good look into the future as I'm hoping to do the AE ridge in September. Cheers! 8)
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby mountain coward » Fri May 28, 2010 11:42 am

Gets me when people say "it's just an easy scramble..." I'm mates with a mountain rescue guy who climbs etc... he said it was a 'bloody hard scramble' - I tend to go with his judgement on this one I think!
mountain coward

Postby murphy999 » Fri May 28, 2010 12:49 pm

Graeme Dewar wrote:A superb narrative - and nice piccies too. This has given me a good look into the future as I'm hoping to do the AE ridge in September. Cheers! 8)

Hey Graeme I am glad this helps you out. I know first hand accounts can be invaluable especially on some of the harder routes. Good luck in September!
murphy999
Stravaiging

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland