walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Grisedale Pike

Grisedale Pike

Postby ChrisG » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:07 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Grisedale Pike

Hewitts included on this walk: Grisedale Pike

Date walked: 16/01/2016

Time taken: 4

Distance: 11.5 km

Ascent: 866m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Great winters day out on Grisedale Pike cut a little short due to the change in the weather but still a great day in the hills. The Lake District was well and truly open. Lots of people enjoying the snow

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

DSCN5166.jpg

DSCN5175.jpg

DSCN5177.jpg
ChrisG
Mountain Walker

Munros:33   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Re: Grisedale Pike

Postby The English Alpinist » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:06 pm

Cool. Very interesting to see pics for an another famous part of the district (about the same height too), after I was up in the Coniston Fells the day before this and the day after, struggling through the snow. It looks like the paths were in fairly good condition for you but pics can be deceptive! I see you came down the valley and not by the full horseshoe along the ridge. Was that the intent to begin with, or the snow/visibility hell make you cut it short (as it did me on Friday)? Anyway, congratulations for a kindred spirit getting out there in these Alpine conditions.
The English Alpinist
Mountain Walker

Munros:56   Corbetts:11
Fionas:22   Donalds:18+10
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Guinessman » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:45 pm

Good effort. It must have snowed heavily last night as I was on Fairfield today from Dovedale and had to break trail through soft deep snow all the way up to the wall.
Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Postby The English Alpinist » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:14 pm

Guinessman wrote:Good effort. It must have snowed heavily last night as I was on Fairfield today from Dovedale and had to break trail through soft deep snow all the way up to the wall.

I believe it did, Guiness. To add to the stuff that was already there!
The English Alpinist
Mountain Walker

Munros:56   Corbetts:11
Fionas:22   Donalds:18+10
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:214   

Postby ChrisG » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:02 pm

The English Alpinist wrote:Cool. Very interesting to see pics for an another famous part of the district (about the same height too), after I was up in the Coniston Fells the day before this and the day after, struggling through the snow. It looks like the paths were in fairly good condition for you but pics can be deceptive! I see you came down the valley and not by the full horseshoe along the ridge. Was that the intent to begin with, or the snow/visibility hell make you cut it short (as it did me on Friday)? Anyway, congratulations for a kindred spirit getting out there in these Alpine conditions.

I kept the option open to do the full horseshoe but with the conditions getting bad and time getting short, I didn't set off till eleven. I made the decision to stick to my original route and just do the one top. Although I have to admit I did intend to do Hopegill Head.
ChrisG
Mountain Walker

Postby dav2930 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:23 pm

Nice fell to do in the snow :clap: . I was on Helvellyn the same day and could see the murky weather over to the west, but was on the way back by the time it came in. I'd set off about an hour and a half before yourself.
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby ChrisW » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:27 am

Lovely shots Chris....strange how the nation closes down in the snow but people still manage to get to the hills :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby ChrisG » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:14 pm

ChrisW wrote:Lovely shots Chris....strange how the nation closes down in the snow but people still manage to get to the hills :wink:

We are famous for not being able to deal with the odd bit of snow we get low down, but to be fair to the people that do deal with these things all the roads I needed to get home were being kept in good condition. I passed three gritters on the M6.
ChrisG
Mountain Walker

Postby ChrisG » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:15 pm

dav2930 wrote:Nice fell to do in the snow :clap: . I was on Helvellyn the same day and could see the murky weather over to the west, but was on the way back by the time it came in. I'd set off about an hour and a half before yourself.

I saw some pictures of the edges on FB when I got home they looked in fantastic condition
ChrisG
Mountain Walker

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland