walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Shiehallion , boot's in the snow

Shiehallion , boot's in the snow

Postby Andy74G » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:06 pm

Munros included on this walk: Schiehallion

Date walked: 13/01/2016

Time taken: 4.4 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 1083m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It's been a while since my last walk, :( actually Ben Nevis in September in fact :shock: , the weather last year was just pants on my rest days, hopefully it won't be repeated this year. With such a long break I looked for an easy Munro to kick start 2016 and with the weather forecast looking promising for Perthshire Schiehallion was my best bet. :D
Arrived a wee bit later than planned due to traffic but was heading up the start of the track by 09:15am ,only another couple were further up the trail.
1.jpg
Shiehallion from near the car park
2.jpg
clear path from the car park
It was a relaxed pace and with frozen ground on the hillside it didn't take long to reach the snow line.
3.jpg
With the couple in front breaking trail and the snow firm ,it was a straight forward assent to the summit arriving about 11:40am.
4.jpg
the couple ahead
. I met the couple at the top but they only stayed briefly as the wind chill encouraged them to head back down to a lower point to have their break, which gave me the top to myself.
6a.jpg
superb views from the summit
7.jpg
7a.jpg
summit of Schiehallion
After some photo's I tucked myself behind the cairn and enjoyed the views and my lunch, I'd brought plenty of water but my pipe had frozen, must come up with a better plan.. :?
IMG_4980 (640x640).jpg
frozen water pipe....
I'd spent about 30mins at the top so it was now time to head down , the gentle slopes made the decent easy and my axe and crampons were never taken out of my rucksack today, again more fab views on the way down.
8.jpg
8a.jpg
9.jpg
10a.jpg
12.jpg
phone on the ground selfie...
It really didn't take long to get down , even with talking to the again couple later on at the "stone view point" I was back at the car by 13:40pm, happy with a straight forward day on the hill, just the chore of driving back....
Andy74G
Mountaineer

Munros:54   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:4

Re: Shiehallion , boot's in the snow

Postby DavidShepherd » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:52 pm

Lucky you getting the views!
We went up on the 16th, over cast, cloudy, and then as soon as we reached the summit around noon, the snow started. Made an interesting walk back down when the snow is whipping horizontally across your face!
DavidShepherd
Mountain Walker

Munros:167   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   Donalds:5

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:05 pm

Nice one, some lovely views from the summit. Did you blow back the fluid from the platypus pipe back into the bag, that sometimes helps when there is no fluid in the pipe section :)
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby BoyVertiginous » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:29 pm

Cracking day for it and nice pics, Andy.

Re-Platypus: Try sticking the tube down your back, i.e. between you and your pack, often provides enough warmth to prevent it freezing.
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Munros:251   Corbetts:75
Fionas:26   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:49   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:62   Islands:18

Postby Jaxter » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:14 pm

Amazing pictures! Looks like you had a good day for this.

I've made a promise that I'll visit on a good day, and this encourages me to keep to it! :D
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby Silverhill » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:27 pm

Great pictures of this hill in its winter coat and of the views from the summit. :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby Petr Dakota » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:23 pm

Great views and photos ! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Ideal winter day in the mountains :D 8)
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Postby Andy74G » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:17 pm

I'll try that in future, with the water ....
Andy74G
Mountaineer

Munros:54   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:4

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland