walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Walking (not just climbing) in the latest B2/B3 boots

Re: Walking (not just climbing) in the latest B2/B3 boots

Postby pjm1 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:07 pm

Well, I'm back from trying quite a few on.

The most "comfortable" were the Zamberlan Jorasses, although they felt as if they had too much padding inside: they actually felt like slippers and my foot was sliding around quite a bit despite being the right size, length-wise. Most odd for a B2 boot!

I tried the Salewa Pro Guide in walk mode (which apparently turns it into B1 sole stiffness) and that was virtually as comfortable in the foot and more comfortable in the ankle - and it actually fitted. It felt properly rigid at the sides of the boot and laterally (unlike the Zamberlan) and my foot didn't slip around once I did it up lightly. Great ankle movement forwards and backwards - I could crouch down on my toes even more easily than in my Scarpa SL Activs. which have a lower ankle cut. The sole felt sufficiently flexible for walking and I spent about half an hour wandering around Tiso's "rock garden", walking over the boulders, the bridge etc.

I tried a couple of other boots (all B2s) which felt more clunky than the Pro Guides, including a Salewa Raven. Although they only had that in a women's fit, which meant it was quite narrow so not an ideal fit. That was probably the next best (from recollection).

There was a wafer thin difference in comfort between the first two, then daylight, then the rest. The first one (Zamberlan) was a "false comfort" though because the boot was clearly too wide and I'd have had to cinch it right down.

The walk mode of the Pro Guides does seem to work - I flicked it over to climb mode and they became ski boots with ankle flex :shock: Very clunky for walking!

Between Tiso's relatively limited stock of mens' 7s and my odd shaped feet, we didn't have loads to try. I tried on womens' boots as well (not fussed unless they're hot pink or something - my ski boots are womens') but it was very clear which boots suited my foot shape and which didn't. Heel lift, pinch points etc. were pretty immediately obvious.

So, decisions to be made...
pjm1
Rambler

Munros:66   

Postby kaiserstein » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:11 pm

weaselmaster wrote:
prog99 wrote:Thats not the ones i have(Raven Combi GTX Boots).

I got a pair of (wide fit) salewa ravens last winter and found them very comfortable (for a b2), nice to walk/climb in and had no problems with cold feet (wearing thick sealskinz with them).

Also just bought a pair of these and very happy with them. No sore feet after wearing them for a 5 hour walk on 1st outing.
kaiserstein
Mountain Walker

Munros:60   Corbetts:222
Fionas:30   Donalds:31
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:5   Islands:9

Postby pjm1 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:56 pm

Quick update...

I bought a pair of Salewa Pro Guides. Very comfy on in the shop (when in B1/walk mode) and seemed very insulated. Tiso's return policy is excellent, so had the option of just wearing them indoors and returning within 60 days for a full refund.

I wore them for a good few days in the house 10-12 hours straight each day (yes, my feet stank at the end of each day!) and the first day the feet were a bit grumpy at the end but by the 3rd/4th day, I could happily keep them on for a full 12 hours without really thinking I had boots on. Going up and down two flights of stairs at home, pottering around, doing ironing, cooking etc. Not my usual footwear of choice, but they were fine.

Obviously the snow arrived at the weekend there, so I decided to go for it and take them outside (and thereby lose my return option). Two days outdoors across gentle terrain - moorland and the like - and they've been perfect.

On the basis I don't need to test their climbing credentials (they'll far exceed my abilities - probably ever), I really just wanted to see how they would fare with walking, pottering, standing around and being ankle deep in snow for 6-7 hours.

They passed with flying colours. Not sure how often I'll switch them into B3/climb mode, but they do everything I need - they're warm, can be used with the crampons I have as well as more technical ones, and they're comfy for walking in. Oh, and over £100 off the RRP ;)

Thanks everyone!
pjm1
Rambler

Postby dtr42 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:46 pm

Hi I got a pair of Salewa blackbird b2 and insulated boot ,very good on snow ,very warm and a high boot on the ankle/shin ,have done a few 4-6 mile walks and a few munros since December with them and have found them perfectly fine with no issues on stiffness and walking out on land rover tracks was fine .I did go for the extrawide fit as there normal fit seemed narrow to me.I like them so much that they are now my goto boot after using salomon ,scarpa and anatom for example have found them to be prefect for cold winter walks
dtr42
Mountaineer

Postby DarrenJeffrey » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:09 pm

I have a pair of LA SPORTIVA TRANGO S EVO

great boot for winter walking but and approach isn't to bad either but horrible on the walk out along any land-rover tracks etc. They kill my feet :(
DarrenJeffrey
Munro compleatist

Munros:141   Corbetts:10
Fionas:8   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:20   

Postby pjm1 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:34 pm

Another update for anyone interested!

The Salewa's worked like magic over the winter and although I haven't had them on over the warmer summer (if such a thing exists here!) I'm actually going to opt for them for my next outing on Aonach Eagach. I want something that will give me more confidence and stronger edges, so reckon they'll work out better than my Scarpa SLs (which are still fine boots).

I also reckon I'll be doing a bit more standing around (maybe even a belay or two) so their extra warmth might be worthwhile.

So far so good - one and a half seasons in!
pjm1
Rambler

Postby Scottk » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:56 pm

I had a pair of sportiva baturas which were very comfortable for a B3 boot and pretty light. Warm enough for me in winter even on belays with only a pair of socks.
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby pjm1 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:49 pm

Scottk wrote:I had a pair of sportiva baturas which were very comfortable for a B3 boot and pretty light. Warm enough for me in winter even on belays with only a pair of socks.

You're a tougher man than me... I wouldn't fancy standing around in just boots and socks. Call me a traditionalist, but I'd probably stick a jacket and maybe even some trousers on.

:)
pjm1
Rambler

Postby Scottk » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:14 pm

It's worse finding something to belay from especially when the cold sets in!
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby spiderwebb » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:51 pm

I've a pair of B2 Berghaus Kibo's, which I don't think are available now, but they are fine on walks in and out, and I've done some long days in them (Bidein a'Choire Sheasgaich & Lurg Mhor from Craig) :D
I suffer from cold feet especially when its that point in the season where you don't need the winter ones for crampons but the odd bit of snow is lying up top. Changing over to the winter ones definitely improves warmth, although I've never investigated, I guess they are more insulated.
But also I have always worn mine with Yeti Gaiters. I'm still on the original pair (circa 1984) having new rubber rands fitted once. Not only do they protect the expensive boots (although the Kibo's were only about £135 a few years back), the original ones I use are lined with Thinsulate. I'm not sure if that is just around the calf or the complete gaiter but clearly helps the insulation factor.
I did have to put a couple of spots of superglue on the toe of each bot just to secure the gaiter from slipping off the toe, but seeing as they never come off its not an issue.
They also effectively give you a 'welly' type boot, great for deep snow or crossing water of such depth :D

I've already secured a secondhand new set of the gaiters but currently they are tucked away while the others continue to serve :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk