walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Absolute beginner

Absolute beginner

Postby Hargshirl » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:08 pm

Hi everyone I'm extremely new to this and looking for any and all advice.
Looking to get into it with my little ones a kind of not very active 8 year old girl and a very keen little four year old boy. My husband works offshore so will join us when he can.
Any advice where to start off.......
Hargshirl
Hill Bagger

Sub 2000:1   

Re: Absolute beginner

Postby Sgurr » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:38 am

Where are you based?
East Lomond, West Lomond, Normans's Law (all in Fife) Dumyat, possibly Beinn Cleuch (a bit longer) in the centre Conic Hill, Ben A'an (once they have fixed the footpath) further West, Ben Hiant (far West) or try searching "Hills for Kids" on this web-site. There have been many such requests in the past. Or you could just try to increase their fitness to start with by going on the level. Geocaching is a good way to get (maybe slightly older) kids enthusiastic, but you would need to invest in a GPS. We have been sitting peacefully on a summit while kids have raced towards it eager to find the geocache.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby pjm1 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:07 pm

We have a four year old and he spends a huge amount of time with his 7 and 8 year old cousins, so have some relevant experience which might be helpful.

The biggest challenge you'll face is that the stamina (and interest / attention span) of a 4 year old vs an 8 year old are leagues apart. The trick will be balancing their abilities and engaging them both for what is, to a 4 year old especially, a very very long time. Even an hour's walk is quite a long time doing just one thing for them at that age.

Your biggest concern of course will be their safety and whilst your eldest will be able to keep themselves safe by not running about when you tell them, the youngest may need more direct/hands-on supervision at times (if he/she is anything like ours!) I'd recommend something very low level but with interesting terrain where you can talk about the trees, wildlife, explore puddles and things. Over our way (not sure where you're based) we have Clyde Muirshiel Park which is great and pretty safe, all things considered.

The other top tip would be to find another parent with similar aged kids who's interested in doing the same thing. It'll make your life twice as easy while you're out together which will mean you and the kids enjoy it twice as much. Also, the eldest can pair up if they want and the youngest too.

Best of all, enjoy it and let us know where you end up going and how you get on afterwards!
pjm1
Rambler

Munros:66   

Postby coryfraser » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:47 pm

Hi, I'm just new to this site but have been walking for years with and without my kids. We started my daughter when she was 3 and my son was 9.
I lived in the Lake District at the time and we started with low level walks and I spent a lot of time with a small girl on my back. The trick is not to put them off it by making it feel forced.
So accept you'll probably take loads of breaks and it will take you longer than expected to do a distance you might walk in no time on your own.
The next problem we experienced was the lack of decent walking gear for little ones, especially boots. Brasher do kids goretex boots but finding them is the problem. Trespass were our best option for waterproofs as kids just seem to keep growing and they are a reasonable price.
My advice would be to keep them warm, dry and fed and they should keep going :)
Cold hands have caused a few tears so good gloves (again hard to find for little fingers) are a must for cold walks.
My daughters 8 now and loves walking and will happily run up snow covered fells to beat her brother to the top. They still live in the lakes and she's on her 54th wainwright.
Hope this helps.
coryfraser
Munro compleatist

Munros:9   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:37   

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:48 pm

I agree with all the above. I took my two kids, aged 6 and 3, up Cnicht in Wales and they have loved the outdoors ever since. They are now 16 and 13.

There is passable kids' gear at Aldi / Lidl sometimes. Among all that other random bargain stuff in the middle aisles.

You might find this encouraging http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=58567

Have a great time on the hills, all of you!
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:55 pm

PS I forgot to say, scroll down to the second half of that trip report I sent you the link for!

Also - kids' gear again - Easter / end of season ski-wear sales can be useful for things like warm hats and gloves.
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...