walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Scottish Government approves Lomond camping ban

Re: Scottish Government approves Lomond camping ban

Postby Tomsie » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:46 pm

I agree with the ban if it keeps the place clean and no damage done to the area, plus the residents that have to live here will get some peace.

The people that mess up these areas will hopefully pitch their tents within campsites and bring the rubbish out with them or put into the bins provided. :)

Is this the end of wild camping by your car. :lol:
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby BobMcBob » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:09 pm

Csm8 wrote:
BobMcBob wrote:but my bet is that the next-nearest lake is going to find itself full of litter this summer.

Lake?

Whoops, sorry been darn sarf too long :D
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby electricfly » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:44 pm

Tomsie wrote:I agree with the ban if it keeps the place clean and no damage done to the area, plus the residents that have to live here will get some peace.

Banning people from climbing Ben Nevis would also keep the mountain clean of all the excessive rubbish and damage free. Would allow the deer, the hare, the ravens, the eagles and the snow buntings to get some peace aswell. Would you advocate a ban of this sort?

While we are at it, there's a lot of speeders, uninsured and drunk drivers on the M8 at nights. Hard to catch them in the act, so would you like to see a closure of the motorway between the hours of say 11pm - 6am?

Would give the police a wee bit of peace eh? :roll:
electricfly

Munros:282   Corbetts:34
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:45   

Postby Giant Stoneater » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:42 am

The police are going to love this being passed since the few wardens that patrol this area have no legal powers to arrest or confiscate the trouble makers and goods.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby Sunset tripper » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:55 am

The vast majority of the perps with the antisocial behavior tendencies come from the big population centre of Heid the baw land to the south of the national park. I suggest you fit all the citizens of Heid the baw land with electronic tags and ban them from venturing north into the national park........ or just from venturing north at all. Problem solved :D

Or is that not PC? :shock: :shock: :shock:
Sunset tripper

Postby Tomsie » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:35 pm

electricfly wrote:
Banning people from climbing Ben Nevis would also keep the mountain clean of all the excessive rubbish and damage free. Would allow the deer, the hare, the ravens, the eagles and the snow buntings to get some peace as well. Would you advocate a ban of this sort?

It certainly would keep it clean and give peace to the wildlife, but these people that throw litter about are just a little ignorant, and I don't think they go there to mess up the place, unlike some of these campers at the lochs.

I agree with banning them just pitching up where they like and messing up the area, and issuing permits with their information, in my opinion this would help against littering and other anti social behaviour in the area.

Taken from the UK climbing site " As an alternative to this regulated wild camping, sites with basic facilities will also be provided. In the first year of the new regime there's a promise of 300 low-cost camping places, with an intention to add further capacity later"

Still plenty of camping options, has to be given time to see if it works out.

electricfly wrote:While we are at it, there's a lot of speeders, uninsured and drunk drivers on the M8 at nights. Hard to catch them in the act, so would you like to see a closure of the motorway between the hours of say 11pm - 6am?

Would give the police a wee bit of peace eh? :roll:

There's a lot of bad/dangerous drivers on the roads at all times of day not just the night time, and yes I'd love to see it closed between 21.00 and 6.00am. :) [/quote]
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby scoob999 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:18 pm

I'm in two minds about this, the ban might be ok if it works and doesn't send the problem further north :shock:
I don't think it'll affect normal walkers/ wild campers who are respectfull of the enviorement anyway, maybe it'll effect us when we park up at the start of a walk the night before in the campervan :?

Sadly i think it's only us outdoor lovers who are worried/know about this? and the neanderthal's who ruin it for everyone won't know or care that there is a camping ban

It's gonna be interesting to see how this is going to be policed :?
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby Sunset tripper » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:40 pm

RTC wrote:
The vast majority of the perps with antisocial behavoiour tendencies come from Teuchterland to the north of the national park. I suggest that you cut off their goolies and give them a good sjamboking.
Or is that not PC?

Aye your probably right. Don't know why they havn't extended the ban to cover Loch Ness also

Loch Ness camping ban required :wink:
Screenshot_2016-01-28-16-08-21-1 (640x341).jpg

PS Your electronic tag is in the post :D
Sunset tripper

Postby Sunset tripper » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:59 pm

I've done a lot of research on this. One day I was passing a wild camp site on the shores of Loch Lomond. One of the boys needed something to lift his sausage out of the camp fire. He shouted to his mate "Tongs ya bass" :D
Sunset tripper

Postby Beaner001 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:42 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:I've done a lot of research on this. One day I was passing a wild camp site on the shores of Loch Lomond. One of the boys needed something to lift his sausage out of the camp fire. He shouted to his mate "Tongs ya bass" :D

Lol, won't be long till they start venturing up the "Glen ya bass" :lol:
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby matt_outandabout » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:53 pm

We have laws in place already that could and should be used to sort out problems, if and when they occur.

These are not applied for some very practical reasons. When we lived in Killin, it was often the case that there was one officer on duty for the whole area north of Stirling, across to Perth border (pre Scotland Police Force), across to Arrochar and up to Glencoe and Pass of Brander. :shock:

Put yourself in one of the local police officers shoes a moment. She got a call from me on my way to work, and met me at a 'camp' one morning on the shore of Loch Tay. We had 2-3 drunken louts still up from the night before, and another 10+ in tents snoring, a camp that resembled a bombsite, eight cars, two of which (one untaxed, unregistered and uninsured) are left parked on the single track road, completely blocking it.

We were out of decent mobile signal (999 worked) and out of radio range. A lone officer and a member of staff from local outdoor centre. We start the 'discussion' about moving the cars asap, and getting camp tidier. The response is immediately aggressive and dismissive. The call for help goes in from officer - it is 7:30am on a Saturday, next officers on duty are in Dunblane and Stirling, all checking in/out last nights drunk miscreants still. The phone call to home of off duty officers and the two local outdoor centres is made - off duty and public help on way, but at least 30 mins away at earliest.

We leave the camp, before it gets out of hand and we are assaulted.

One care is moved 20 mins after the request to do so, and we have downgraded expectations of merely unblocking the road. A discussion with the driver reveals the owner of the other vehicle (with boat trailer on) is somewhere on the loch, and unlikely to return knowing that the car is untaxed/registered etc. They do not have keys.

Local haulage company truck pulls up, and with some quiet negotiation, the car and trailer are dragged by truck out way and into forest track.

All of us leave, but as we are a drunken lout wakes up and takes exception to our moving of the vehicle. He produces a very large knife. Cue officer, myself and truck driver running round truck away from said lout, and two other locals making a sharp exit in their cars. After a few minutes of Benny Hill style running away, the chap calms down and heads back to camp area.

I jump on back of truck with my bike, officer into her car and we all depart.

It take 4 hours to organise a team of 4 officers to come up and help - and if they wait another 4 hours there will be some more in a minibus before they have to oversee some football match in Dundee that evening.

When the team of 4+2 local officers return the camp is empty, vehicles gone and the clear up of the mess can begin. Bar the vehicle registrations and a couple of pictures on my phone of the men, there is no real evidence.

Even if they had turned up and camp was full, they would need team of 20-30 officers, transport for them and the 10-15 'campers', a full inventory of camp made before the 'campers' leave (oi, my uber expensive mp3 player was in that tent, the officer *must* have stolen it....), vehicle transport for 8 cars, a clear up team who need a bin and storage for a dozen tents and associated gear (that will need to be returned in good order) etc etc etc...

So an officer was threatened, it turned out the they could trace the owners of most of the other cars and they all had drugs/violence/petty crime history with one outstanding warrant - and we could do bugger all.

The point of this? To enforce the (good) laws we have will require a massive political move, and a large team or three of burly officers with a 'range where your like/need' remit on permanent standby for 9 months a year. We as yet do not have the political will or policing resources to make this happen.

The local outdoor centre staff cleaned the camp on the Monday, when we were sure owners were not going to return, and I drove the full box trailer of rubbish 20 miles to the nearest tip for disposal.
matt_outandabout
Wanderer

Munros:81   Corbetts:29
Fionas:22   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:191
Wainwrights:176   Islands:28

Postby Sunset tripper » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:03 pm

Matt. In the difficult situation you and the police officer were in I dont see how a camping ban would help. The situation it seems would have panned out the same. Some fairly serious offences were comitted there. Was anyone brought to justice? Is that the usual outcome? If so there is little point in one police officer turning up on there own. You can guarantee that if that was a normal hill walker camping they may well have been charged with something on the spot. Probably breathalysed if they had car keys on them. Maybe lost there license when they had no intention to drive. What im saying is they are easy targets. The police have got to take the rough with the smooth and it is these neds that have to be clamped down on. Maybe the police should use their resources differently for a few months. I bet at the same time as your incident there was 2 burly officers sitting in a big warm car on the A9 trying to catch someone doing 65mph The government and the police have to rethink their priorities I would say.
The camping ban will only work for the neds who have some fear of the police or courts and i dont know what proportion that is :(
Sunset tripper

Postby LeithySuburbs » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:08 pm

A passionate and well written piece by Cameron mcniesh on this. :clap:
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby dav2930 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:04 am

LeithySuburbs wrote:A passionate and well written piece by Cameron mcniesh on this. :clap:

Great article that. Credit to Cameron for his tireless efforts to persuade the First Minister and shame on her for being so deaf to reason and expert advice. :crazy: :(
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby monarchming » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:08 pm

Well put across from Cameron McNeish :clap:
As he stated, what's next to get the heavy handed treatment ?
He gave solutions and not problems to this particular subject with the assistance of experienced people yet was totally ignored! :thumbdown:
As usual the minority spoil it for the majority
monarchming
Munro compleatist

Munros:162   

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion