walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ard Crags & Knott Rigg

Ard Crags & Knott Rigg

Postby made in Scotland » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:44 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Ard Crags, Knott Rigg

Date walked: 23/01/2016

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We decided on Ard Crags and Knott Rigg as we have walked the bigger hills on either side of them and thought they might be a bit sheltered from the wind - also after all the rain we wanted to see the waterfall at Newlands Hause. We weren't sure how far down the road from Braithwaite to Buttermere we could drive as we doubted if all the bridges on there had survived the floods. As it happens the first bridge, near Rowling End is ok, but the next one near the old quarry is damaged and closed. So - road closed - but we were able to park in the old quarry and get straight onto the path by Rigg Beck, which was the original plan anyway so all good!

The ground was pretty wet and we saw no-one else - a curious sheep obviously wondered why we were there.
DSC_0103 (2).jpg

A little higher up the ridge it was quite windy but great views behind towards Derwent Water and the hills behind.
DSC_0121 (2).jpg

Looking ahead towards Robinson and Newlands Hause.
DSC_0133 (2).jpg

Ahead the ridge - we will be walking along to the end of this.
DSC_0135 (2).jpg

A quick look down to Keskadale Farm. We walked back along the road there later and could see the level the water had been at during the storms. Also some quite large landslips along the roadside.
DSC_0161 (2).jpg

Looking back to where we had walked from. It was quite windy on here. I kept blowing over although I seemed to be the only one doing that for some reason.
DSC_0165 (2).jpg

It's an easy walk for some good views and a good one for spotting hills all around you that you've walked on.
DSC_0183 (2).jpg

One of the reasons for picking this route was the view of the waterfall - it was pretty impressive but the photo doesn't really do it justice.
DSC_0197 (2).jpg

Once we'd reached the road I remembered I had a Double Decker in my rucksack - took it out to eat it and it was frozen hard as rock. Took me the whole length of the road back to to car to gnaw my way through it.

Looking back along the road as we walked to the car.
DSC_0210 (2).jpg

The sheep had just been fed and were looking colourful today.
DSC_0213 (2).jpg

When we got back to the damaged bridge we were on the wrong side of the barriers so had to wade through the water of Rigg Beck to get back to the car. There are good views from here for a fairly quick walk but surprisingly windy as it seems to be sheltered by bigger hills on either side.
made in Scotland
Mountaineer

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:80
Wainwrights:140   

Re: Ard Crags & Knott Rigg

Postby ChrisW » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:11 am

Great stuff MiS, the flood damage is a bit of a pain but glad you got around it and made some great shots of the hills looking more like spring than winter. Shame you ended up with a wade to finish but they are always better than a wade at the start :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland