walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Rucksack which one

Rucksack which one

Postby mikebeattie1 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:37 pm

Hi all a general enquiry all my walks to date has been day walks but I'm not looking at doing longer overnight stays either wild camping or bothies so my question is what size of rucksack would I need to take all I need to remain comfortable to carry what I need and not to weigh me down
mikebeattie1
Mountaineer

Munros:168   Corbetts:52
Fionas:52   
Sub 2000:14   

Re: Rucksack which one

Postby rockhopper » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:11 pm

Some seem to manage to cram everything into smaller rucksacks around 30l - 40l whereas some go large at 65l+. I've always tended to prefer having a decent size rucksack to make things easier but not at too high a starting weight. Currently using an Osprey Exos 58 which in medium weighs about 1.2kg. You'll find that that's actually lighter than some smaller 30l - 40l rucksacks. A few years ago, I had a Berghaus bioflex system rucksack which I think was 60l - good back system but it weighed just under 2.5kg. The Exos can take everything I used to carry in the larger rucksack - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby jepsonscotland » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:49 pm

I'll second what RH said, Exos 58 is brilliant and weighs half of the other similar sized bags. Plus has a detachable lid for smaller excursions.
There is a 48 version as well, I think.
jepsonscotland
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby huwthomas » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:38 pm

Would recommend the Lowe Alpine Airzone Pro 35:45. I treated myself to it before Christmas and taken it out a few times since then. More than enough space for your average winter walk and overnight backpacks, and whilst I still get a sweaty back, it's noticeably better than my previous rucksack, due to the big gap this model has between your back and the main pack.
huwthomas
Ambler

Munros:63   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:177
Wainwrights:29   

Postby Backpacker » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:19 pm

I've got myself down to 2 rucksacks from the 4 or 5 I used to own

Osprey Talon 33 for general hillwalking, big enough for winter gear and light enough for using throughout the summer

Osprey Exos 50, this has to be the comfiest rucksack ever (though at £170 it bloody well should be :lol: :lol: ) this is my my going away rucksack, takes my tent and sleeping bag with ease and as I don't mind being smelly, spare underwear
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby pjm1 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:52 pm

Winter or summer? On your own or in a group? I like to have a larger rucksack (50l which can take about 70l just) although it packs in tight when it's only 25% full. I can also strip mine back to well under a kilo.

But then I also have a drysack with no waist strap which is a few hundred grams. But that's less useful for you as you don't (I presume) have a base camp where you're summitting from each day.

Most important - does it carry what you need in the way you like it? I like mine minimalist but others like loads of straps etc. Second, is it flexible enough to do what you might need one day? Third how heavy can you bear?

Sorry, there's no magic answer to this - I have four bags for four different occasions (although one's pretty redundant now). I even have a roll-up rucksack which weighs nothing and can be put in your trouser pocket (!) but that's only for real emergencies...

Unfortunately, you might just have to get out there and buy a couple over time and decide what works for you!
pjm1
Rambler

Munros:66   

Postby mikebeattie1 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:25 pm

Hi all a very big thank you for your replies Will sit down and digest everything written
mikebeattie1
Mountaineer

Munros:168   Corbetts:52
Fionas:52   
Sub 2000:14   

Postby garyoppolis » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:09 pm

Unhelpful response: You'll need to figure out how much you carry.

I started out in the 40 - 50l range and have settled on 25l for when there's no snow and about 40l for when there is.

Bear in mind that an underfilled bag, say 50% of its total capacity, can be almost as uncomfortable as a really badly fitting bag.

Horses for courses...
garyoppolis

Munros:136   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:1   

Postby gordonmidd » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:49 pm

I tend to walk alone. So carry a bit more than most.

Summer - Osprey Talon 18l

Winter - Osprey Mutant 38l

The Mutant has a detachable lid which to date I've never used. More than enough room in both for the seasons.
I'd even say the Mutant would be fine for an overnight.
gordonmidd
Mountaineer

Munros:28   
Fionas:3   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Outdoors Father » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:49 pm

From my experience you will end up carrying as much stuff as your rucksack allows you - so the bigger the pack the more you carry.

For me staying comfortably outdoors is being light, so I aim to carry very little. For most people I think up to 40L for winter and 30L for summer days is more than enough, maybe even too much.

I'll second gordonmidd's advice on the Talons - great value for money and are pretty light on their own: 22l for summer and 33l for winter.
Outdoors Father
Scrambler

Postby BobMcBob » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:00 pm

I'll second (or third?) the Osprey Talon 22 as a day pack for spring/summer/autumn days. It does me fine, including a pretty bulky SLR camera. It seems significantly bigger somehow than the Lowe Alpine 22 litre sack I also have, and the hipbelt is fabulously comfy, almost no weight on my shoulders when it's properly adjusted.

I'd advise going to a decent outdoor shop and trying a few on, especially if they have knowledgeable staff who know how to size and adjust them. The Ospreys especially have a lot of adjustments and fiddling with them can make a huge difference to comfort.
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby irishwasa » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:37 pm

Biggest thing with a rucksack - it has to fit properly and be comfy!! Size, as people have said, you will fill the size you choose. So put out all the things you think you need, discard the things you put there unnecessarily, and look at the pile you have left. Figure out what else you can lose, make sure you have basic survival kit, and then buy a sack big enough to take it.
I carry a daysack normally, for the odd day out. I have a montane grand tour (65, I think), for longer walks, but nearly 50% is food for a week, and extra first aid etc as I am on my own.
But make sure it is comfy ... you will be up close and personal for an extended amount of time :roll:

And, no matter how well you think all this out, in 2 years time you will be looking for a different size ..... :lol:
irishwasa
Mountaineer

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk