walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Red Pike Buttermere & neighbours

Red Pike Buttermere & neighbours

Postby mamoset » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:45 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Great Borne, Red Pike (Buttermere), Starling Dodd

Hewitts included on this walk: Great Borne, Red Pike (Buttermere), Starling Dodd

Date walked: 11/02/2016

Time taken: 5

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 1000m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I hadn't been to Buttermere for a while, and as i have only climbed Starling Dodd & Great Borne once each, i decided to tick another two off on my way to completing a second round of Wainwrights. The weather on the tops wasn't looking too inviting as i set off.
IMG_7942-001.JPG
High Stile ridge.
Headed down to Buttermere Lake for the obligatory Fleetwith Pike shot. :wink:
IMG_7945-001.JPG
A moody looking Fleetwith Pike.
The views weren't too bad looking out as i gained height through onto Old Burtness.
IMG_7950-001.JPG
Across to Newlands.
It is a really good path that takes you up to Bleaberry Tarn, if a little hard work :shock: I soon left the tarn, and made my way towards the snow line and onto the Saddle.
IMG_7959-001.JPG
Bleaberry Tarn.
The steps were frozen going up here and i was glad i was going up them rather than down :lol:
IMG_7969-001.JPG
Dodd, cloud topped Grasmoor & Robinson.
I didn't bother going up Dodd, just carried on to Red Pike summit.
IMG_7971-001.JPG
Red Pike.
It was pretty cold up here, as the shelter shows.
IMG_7974-001.JPG
Hoar frost.
IMG_7975-001.JPG
Crummock Water from Red Pike.
I left the summit and made my way down and headed across to Starling Dodd which is a straight forward amble.
IMG_7979-001.JPG
Starling Dodd & Loweswater fells.
IMG_7981-001.JPG
Mellbreak to the right.
The summit was duly reached, though the views up and down Ennerdale were not improving. :(
IMG_7987-001.JPG
Starling Dodd.
More easy walking across to Great Borne, at least it wasn't too wet :clap:
IMG_7988-001.JPG
Back to Starling Dodd & cloudy Pillar.
IMG_7989-001.JPG
Cloud lifting off Grasmoor.
IMG_7990-001.JPG
Great Borne.
IMG_7995-001.JPG
Red Pike & Starling Dodd from Great Borne.
Had lunch in the large shelter, before deciding on a route back that would let me visit Scale Force. This wasn't the best idea as it was really wet overland here, but seemed quicker than heading round Floutern Crag and down :lol:
IMG_7996-001.JPG
My route down.
IMG_7997-001.JPG
Looking back.
IMG_8005-001.JPG
Floutern Crag, Tarn & Cop.
The sun came out as i made my way back and it got quite warm, resulting in the shedding of some layers 8) :lol:
IMG_8009-001.JPG
Sun hits Mellbreak & Grasmoor.
IMG_8013-001.JPG
Whiteside & Grasmoor over Mellbreak.
IMG_8014-001.JPG
Mellbreak.
After much slipping and splodging, i eventually got to Scale Force. This is quite a high waterfall, unfortunately, it is difficult to photograph .
IMG_8020-001.JPG
Scale Force.
Left the force, and had a nice walk back to the car, after a reasonably enjoyable walk.
Last edited by mamoset on Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Re: Red Pike Buttermere & neighbours

Postby dav2930 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:17 pm

Unusual walk that, and it makes a change to see some decent weather! :o Good that you found a route from Gt. Bourne to Scale Force which by happy coincidence also avoided the bogs at the head of Mosedale Beck :wink: Nice broody 'obligatory' photo of Fleetwith from Buttermere, and that's a fine shot of Scale Force with slow shutter speed (did you use a tripod?). :clap:
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby ChrisW » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:10 am

Beautiful pics of a good looking round Mamoset, looks bloody cold up top but as you say, at least it's not wet :wink: :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby mamoset » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:31 am

dav2930 wrote:Unusual walk that, and it makes a change to see some decent weather! :o Good that you found a route from Gt. Bourne to Scale Force which by happy coincidence also avoided the bogs at the head of Mosedale Beck :wink: Nice broody 'obligatory' photo of Fleetwith from Buttermere, and that's a fine shot of Scale Force with slow shutter speed (did you use a tripod?). :clap:

Hi dav, Avoiding the bogs was in my mind :lol: as for Scale Force, i just stood as still as possible and took numerous shots until i got a couple in focus :shock:

ChrisW wrote:Beautiful pics of a good looking round Mamoset, looks bloody cold up top but as you say, at least it's not wet :wink: :clap:

Cheers Chris, cold up high, but unfortunately well thawed on the way back :(
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Postby Guinessman » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:30 am

Never been on Great Borne as it's a bit far west for a day trip, will give your route a try :clap:
Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Postby trailmasher » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:07 pm

Good report and photos Mamoset and well done you for getting up Red Pike in snow :clap: :clap: it's bad enough on a good day :? it was maybe the drier option you took as Floutern Pass is a very wet place to be at times :( and a great shot of the waterfall :clap:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby mamoset » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:25 pm

Guinessman wrote:Never been on Great Borne as it's a bit far west for a day trip, will give your route a try :clap:

There is some great views up Ennerdale on a good day, it's worth the walk out :D Be aware though, the road up Newlands valley is closed due to a damaged bridge at Rigg Beck, if you're thinking of going there soon :o

trailmasher wrote:Good report and photos Mamoset and well done you for getting up Red Pike in snow :clap: :clap: it's bad enough on a good day :? it was maybe the drier option you took as Floutern Pass is a very wet place to be at times :( and a great shot of the waterfall :clap:

Thanks trailmasher, i've been across between Mellbreak & Hen Comb in good weather and it was still an absolute marsh :shock: :lol:
mamoset
Mountain Walker

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland