walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sail Mhor (Somewhat Icy!)

Sail Mhor (Somewhat Icy!)

Postby malky_c » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:12 pm

Route description: Sail Mhòr, from Ardessie

Corbetts included on this walk: Sail Mhòr

Date walked: 11/12/2008

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 750m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was going to write up a report on deepest Fisherfield next, as inspired by Foggieclimber's 2010 wish list, but I've had this one drafted for some time. Much simpler just to add photos to this and post it up. I'll do the (proper remote) Fisherfield one next though.

Was working over at Aultbea, and had a couple hours of daylight spare on the way back. I've spent quite a few days working over at Aultbea over the previous couple of years (new sewer network going in there), but I'd never got around to climbing Sail Mhor, despite intending to several times.

Parked up at Ardessie after lunch, and started ascending the stalkers path up the corrie. Weather calm and clear, but very cold, and all of the exposed rocky parts of the path were layered in ice.

Crossed the burn at the top of the steep section and headed W toward the summit. This was a rather direct route and pretty steep, and there was hard snow on the ground. It was fairly straightforward for the most part, but I needed to cut a few steps with my axe towards the top. A short stroll over the summit plateau took me to the cairn.

Views completely surpassed what I was expecting. Not so much toward An Teallach, which doesn't show its most impressive parts in this direction, but out over Little Loch Broom, the Summer Isles and Coigach. The low sun helped (it was about 3pm by now).
P1010004.JPG
The Beinn Deargs (more on those another time)
P1010006.JPG
The less exciting side of An Teallach
P1010011.JPG
View NE
P1010013.JPG
Little Loch Broom and Summer Isles
P1010014.JPG
Beinn Ghobhlach and Ben More Coigach
P1010017.JPG
Aultbea and Loch Ewe

Descended to the S, which was a pleasant arete, easy even in these conditions. Heading back E to the Ardessie burn was less fun though, a mixture of frozen bog and almost frozen bog. Between sliding around and breaking through the crust, I made it back to the road shortly after dark.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by malky_c on Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: Sail Mhor (Somewhat Icy!)

Postby Milesy » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:24 pm

Nice. The picture with the cairn is brilliant.
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby Graeme D » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:50 pm

Milesy wrote:Nice. The picture with the cairn is brilliant.

Yep, that one's a belter isn't it!
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby hailiamdigby » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:47 pm

Hi Malky.
I did this one today and it was icy for me too.
Like you, I clambered up a similar way, up a rock-strewn opening amongst the upper cliffs.
The icy issues I had were down in the glen, when I was walking back out.
The rocks in the river had some ice coverings but it was the grass on the path that I found the most hazardous.
It was stiff with ice and difficult to predict where was safe to walk.
I slipped a few times and even had a 5-foot unplanned fall, due to some erosion giving way under my feet :o
hailiamdigby
Mountain Walker

Munros:221   Corbetts:92
Fionas:73   Donalds:47
Sub 2000:173   

Postby Collaciotach » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:11 am

Some nice colors in that photo ...good catch ón a shórt time loop :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland