walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Chuaich on a cold winters day

Meall Chuaich on a cold winters day

Postby Driver84 » Sun May 30, 2010 5:36 pm

Route description: Meall Chuaich, Drumochter

Munros included on this walk: Meall Chuaich

Date walked: 29/12/2009

Time taken: 5 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another early morning get up and go: in the car by 6:30 and off up the M90/A9.
Slighty worrying on the way up as the inside of the car windows were begining to ice up. Understandable mind you as the car thermometer did read -17 C as we were passing through Pitlochry/Blair Atholl !?! :shock:

We parked up on the lay-by of the A9 at the entrance towards Loch Chuaich hydro station. It was some what tropical by this point as the thermometer now read -12 C !?! :D
Looking at the land around us gaiters on and off we go... 4 men and 2 dogs!
P1050181.JPG
Chuaich hydro station

Not much to report on this really, visibility was alright but there wasnt much to see apart from great looking snow fields.
I dont know what this is like in the warmer months, but with the snow this was one long hard slog in bitterly cold conditions but the body heat generated caused sweating and the biggest hassle was finding a right balance of layers. The wind chill must have taken it to near -20 C, so you imagaine the digust when one of the guys mobile phones went off: gloves off to answer it. Not impressed! :lol:
P1050188.JPG
it's in there somewhere

P1050192.JPG
there it is!

Slogging away up the relentless, steep slopes (we may have gone our own way up!) we finally trekked away across the open expanse and the summit was soon reached!
P1050194.JPG
3 men from the cairn

P1050195.JPG
not a lot to be seen 001

P1050196.JPG
not a lot to be seen 002

P1050198.JPG
yes I was there too

but again no time for stopping, just a few snap shots and straight back down again - the majority of it was descended on my butt! which did lead to a quick descent... maybe the quickest one yet?
P1050202.JPG
crossing the river heading back towards the bothy

P1050203.JPG
partially frozen river

A quick stop off at the locked bothy for a bit of lunch; what was now mildly warm soup has never tasted so good!
back along past the power station and into the car where two of us enjoyed the coldest whiskey I've ever had. Sent heat waves through the body! What a way to end a walk!

Driver84
Mountaineer

Munros:46   
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Meall Chuaich on a cold winters day

Postby mountain coward » Sun May 30, 2010 6:25 pm

-19degC! :shock: But yeah, the windchill does take the temps down to -20 regularly in recent winters... Bet Cuaich is better in snow - the track in certainly would be - the stoniness of it got on my wick when I walked in!
mountain coward

Postby kevsbald » Mon May 31, 2010 11:31 am

I remember that day - a distant memory - brrrr. Your report brings it all back - roll on the Summer jaunts.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby Paul Webster » Mon May 31, 2010 3:44 pm

Loved all your reports so far, Driver84. Looks like you have had a bit of everything weather-wise :D
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Driver84 » Mon May 31, 2010 5:15 pm

I don't want say it myself, and curse it, but there's only one type of weather I havent had yet! :D
Driver84
Mountaineer

Munros:46   
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland