walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

a'Chaorainn and Teallach - Gaelic for Heaven and Hell?

a'Chaorainn and Teallach - Gaelic for Heaven and Hell?

Postby JimboJim » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:37 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Chaorainn & Beinn Teallach

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chaorainn (Glen Spean), Beinn Teallach

Date walked: 12/02/2016

Time taken: 6.25 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 1172m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

At last planets came into alignment once more, as Jimbo and Big Jesper had same days off and the forecast showed promise for decent enough day to have a look at another pair of Munro's, if the fitness was up to it :) Beinn a'Chaorainn and Beinn Teallach, just about fitted the bill, though snow conditions would be a variable. Five o'clock start came as a bit of a shock to the system, but alas, looks more and more likely. Uneventful trip up round Glencoe, aside from usual frustrations when one is rushing for the hills, i.e, it's cold, therefor I am not going to go faster than 40mph, even if the road is clean and dry!
BT & Ba'C 004_1024_768.JPG
Early morning sun on the Easians.
BT & Ba'C 005_1024_768.JPG
Early peak at Stob Ban and Stob Choire Claurigh, Grey Corries.

Anyway, we were on our way from Roughburn, just the back of 8 o'clock. Sun was coming up and surrounding hills looking good. Enthusiasm was high! We chose to stick to the forest road. Path up side of river doesn't look to hold much appeal, to be honest. Didn't have much trouble, turning right, then left at a junction, then a short distance along to small cairn on the right, where one heads into the woods a short distance, before emerging at style and onto the hill, for real.
We were almost into snow straight away, as Big Jasper set out to break me in (down!), with a brisk pace. Unfortunately, my gearbox, has only one speed, so dead-slow ahead, it was for me. :lol: Gradually the views south began to open up and I was only too keen, to stop and turn round, for another photo, or two of the Easians, Grey Corris, Loch Trieg and Aonach's. Amazing vista today.
BT & Ba'C 011_1024_704.JPG
Excellent view of the Grey Corries and Aonach's, from higher up.
BT & Ba'C 020_1024_768.JPG
Stob Ban and eastern Mamores, behind.
BT & Ba'C 021_1024_768.JPG
Aonach's and Grey Corries.
BT & Ba'C 025_1024_768.JPG
Loch Trieg. Meall a'Bhuiridh and Creise, Glencoe behind.

Before too long we seemed to be working our way over Meall Clachaig, although perhaps a bit east of the line on WH's, leaving us facing a more frontal approach up Coire Clachaig. Charles, not being one for hesitation, quickly opted for the "straight at it" option and to be honest, although deep in snow, didn't look too steep, high, or daunting a prospect. The next 400m, or so of ascent, however was to prove a big reality check. Too much Christmas pudding and beer, still being carried up the hills lads :shock: Although some of the snow was firm and holding, much of it was deep, dry and a big struggle to make progress! Just when we thought we had smooth line of approach, we would soon find ourselves ploughing uphill and needing to stop for another breather - and photo's :)
BT & Ba'C 010_1067_800_1024_768.JPG
Coire Clachaig. "Straight at it," says he.
BT & Ba'C 029_1024_768.JPG
Looks steeper now :(
BT & Ba'C 031_1024_707.JPG
Vista to the south. Chno Dearg, Stob Coire Sgriodain, Loch Trieg, the Easians, Mamores, Grey Corries, Aonach's , among others.
BT & Ba'C 045_1024_684.JPG
Westward.
BT & Ba'C 046_1024_716.JPG
And a bit northwestward - ?Sgurr na Ciche?

Anyway, eventually and after a few inner thoughts of whether I'd make it, or only manage this hill, we made it to the south top. I think this was over two and a half hours in? Fortunately, from here the gradient eases, though by now the legs were like jelly. The top could be seen in the distance, with the steep sides of the corries and cornicing only too visible, so we kept well clear of the edge. In poor visibility, it would be easy to see how one could come to grief. By now the views south, were only enhanced by further outlook to the hill of Knoydart in the west and Creag Meagaidh, to the east. Marvellous!
BT & Ba'C 049_1024_768.JPG
Made it .... to the South Top.
BT & Ba'C 057_1024_768.JPG
Quick way down.
BT & Ba'C 059_1024_654.JPG
The Styg?
BT & Ba'C 067_1024_768.JPG
Looking back to north top.
BT & Ba'C 068_1024_713.JPG
Yay! Summit!
BT & Ba'C 078_1009_768.JPG
Yours truly, towards north top.

We soon made the summit, then north top, though didn't stop too long as there was a stiff, cold wind, blasting up our flue, so any time with gloves off, was soon regretted. :shock: The descent from the north top, was relatively straight forward, aside from an icy layer under the snow, which sometimes gave support, sometimes sank through knee deep, or higher and sometimes resulted in slide and stumble on one's botty. By now Beinn Teallach, which had hardly been noticeable, was now beginning to resemble a mountain, as the loss of height, made it rise upwards, over to our left.
BT & Ba'C 096_1067_800_1024_768.JPG
Beainn Teallach starting to emerge as a mountain.
BT & Ba'C 087_1024_768.JPG
Another look west. Identify any?

At last we made it down to the bealach and a spot out the wind, to get a much needed bite and drink. I think we were over four hours to this point. Despite the relative ease of our descent, I can't say I was filled with confidence at the prospect of taking on Beinn Teallach, but at least the gradient looked more to my liking. It was still a struggle, but perhaps boosted by the refuelling, was much easier progress, except as the wind worsened as a nasty squall sailed by, to the south. Over to the east we could see a line of four walkers, following behind, on Beinn a'Chaorrain and felt quite relieved we were this far round. At least they would have the advantage of following in our tracks - if they were daft enough :D
BT & Ba'C 122_1067_800_1024_768.JPG
Windy summit of Beinn Teallach.
BT & Ba'C 101_1024_768.JPG
Squall moving in.
BT & Ba'C 098_1020_768.JPG
On ascent, Beinn Teallach.
I think we were an hour or o, to the top, but again didn't wait long, due to the biting wind. The long, gradual decent
south was welcome, but still filled with deep snow holes, so much so, that we managed a synchronised dive on our faces, with perfect co-ordination 10/10 :) As described, further down is a right bog-fest, but thankfully snow and frost helped mitigate the mush.
BT & Ba'C 141_990_800_950_768.JPG
Time to head for home :)
BT & Ba'C 130_1067_800_1024_768.JPG
Loch Trieg through the spindrift.
We found a relatively easy spot to cross the Allt a'Chaorrain, just past a clump of trees and from there, worked our way round to the forest and joined the track, back to the car. We must have made good progress as the clock showed six and a quarter hours, which had seemed unlikely as we struggled towards the first top. A good hike, with more than a little of heaven ..... and hell!
Attachments
BT & Ba'C 048_1067_800_1024_768.JPG
Creag Meagaidh hills.
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:24   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

Re: a'Chaorainn and Teallach - Gaelic for Heaven and Hell?

Postby Big Jesper » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:36 pm

:) Fantastic report Jimmy and absolutely stunning pictures. Great day had by all i think and a fairly easy trek considering the amount of snow plus not a bad time for two out of condition guys. :lol:
Big Jesper
Munro compleatist

Munros:266   

Postby Jaxter » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:43 pm

Yesterday was a great day wasn't it! Cracking photos :D
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby JimboJim » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:14 pm

Big Jesper wrote::) Fantastic report Jimmy and absolutely stunning pictures. Great day had by all i think and a fairly easy trek considering the amount of snow plus not a bad time for two out of condition guys. :lol:

Cheers, Jasper, another day to remember. Photo's always easier on a day like Friday. Less of the "two out of condition guys," though. Only one qualifies for that description. I'll try and rectify that, though can't do much about my advancing years :lol:

Jaxter wrote:Yesterday was a great day wasn't it! Cracking photos :D

Missed out yesterday, Jaxter, but Friday was kind to us as you can see. Glad you liked pics, ta. :)
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:30 am

Sensational pics (and what's all that white stuff lying around???) :clap: :clap: :clap: Looks like you had a brilliant day, so much the better for being somewhat rare in recent times!
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Jaxter » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:30 am

Missed out yesterday, Jaxter, but Friday was kind to us as you can see. Glad you liked pics, ta. :)[/quote]

Just noticed the date :oops:

:thumbup:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby BoyVertiginous » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:54 pm

Excellent stuff, JimboJim, some cracking pics there of seemingly endless and breathtaking views. Hoping to do these two this year at some point, having had to bin them in mid-September last year. Hadn't really given much thought to doing them in Winter ... until now!
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Munros:251   Corbetts:75
Fionas:26   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:49   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:62   Islands:18

Postby pollyh33 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:21 pm

Absolutely stunning JJ!

No wonder you guys were smiling! :D :D :D 8) 8) 8)
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby litljortindan » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:11 pm

Looks a fantastic day even if a bit testing of the Christmas pud consumption.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby JimboJim » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:06 am

BoyVertiginous wrote:Excellent stuff, JimboJim, some cracking pics there of seemingly endless and breathtaking views. Hoping to do these two this year at some point, having had to bin them in mid-September last year. Hadn't really given much thought to doing them in Winter ... until now!

Thank you, BV & Altenaker. Super day. Yes, apart from obvious risks, they would seem like decent hills to consider for a good winter's day like we had. I think in summer, they must be quite boggy.

Jaxter wrote:

Missed out yesterday, Jaxter, but Friday was kind to us as you can see. Glad you liked pics, ta. :)

Just noticed the date :oops:
:thumbup:[/quote]

Ha ha, no worries, Jaxter - surprised you liked our conditions - I thought you were only into thick clag, white-outs, driving rain and raging torrents of rivers to cross :lol:

pollyh33 wrote:Absolutely stunning JJ!
litljortindan wrote:Looks a fantastic day even if a bit testing of the Christmas pud consumption.

No wonder you guys were smiling! :D :D :D 8) 8) 8)

Thank you, Polly and Litljortindan. Yes, a fine day, but amazing how long the detrimental effects of Christmas pudding lie on in one's tum. Wasn't smiles all the way, I can assure you.
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland