walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgurr a'Mhadaidh and Sgurr a'Ghreadaidh

Sgurr a'Mhadaidh and Sgurr a'Ghreadaidh

Postby Somerled87 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:18 pm

Route description: Sgùrr a Mhadaidh and Sgùrr a Ghreadaidh

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr a' Ghreadaidh, Sgùrr a' Mhadaidh

Date walked: 09/05/2015

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 9.5 km

Ascent: 997m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A great walk, An Dorus was fun, made me feel like a real climber! Struggled to images of the walk online without folk with ropes, helmets and that, which was a bit intimidating, but found it to be fine. A chilly crisp morning, it was nice to get my hands on some warm gabbro on the south facing side of the ridge after climbing out of An Dorus to Sgurr a'Mhadaidh.

Plenty left in the tank for the larger Sgurr a'Ghreadaidh. Exposure was exhilarating. Thought the Wart was really impressive, followed the route around it to the north, as described in the walkhighlands guide. A very enjoyable approach up Coire a'Ghreadaidh, with Sgurr a Banachdich looking impressive to the west.

Coming back down to An Dorus from a'Ghreadaidh was a bit scary as there was glacier-like compacted snow, which was effectively ice. Picked my way down from rocky bit to rocky bit, euphemised (?) it in my head to being like crossing a river trying not to get your feet wet, tried not to think about slipping to my doom... Footprints in the snow were deceptive, as although they looked 10 minutes fresh, they could have been there for weeks or months. Same goes for the patch snow in An Dorus. "Just don't thaw for the next 10 seconds please," as I tiptoe across and out the other side.

Felt confident in my Cuillins scrambling ability after this walk. If I do it again, I'll leave it till later in the day so I don't have the sun in my eyes the whole way up. Would be a lovely evening walk, and perhaps the stone would be a bit warmer on the hands on the North side as it was on the South side. Or could just bring sunglasses and gloves I suppose.
Somerled87
Mountain Walker

Munros:179   Corbetts:20
Fionas:15   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:12   Islands:26

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland