walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Magnificent Moidart - A Treble Treat!!

Magnificent Moidart - A Treble Treat!!

Postby dooterbang » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:02 pm

Route description: Rois-Bheinn round, Inverailort

Corbetts included on this walk: An Stac, Rois-Bheinn, Sgùrr na Ba Glaise

Date walked: 13/02/2016

Time taken: 8.5 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 1400m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Saturday Feb 13th I left Glasgow at 05.30am Moidart Bound, heavy snow and darkness shrouded my journey until reaching Fort William. I took the Road to Mallaig with just the wind to contend with, the mountain tops visibly clear of clouds.

I would be stopping at Glenfinnan to liaise with those infamous Munro Compleatists Mountain Thyme (MT) and Rodmiester (RM), now on A Corbett crusade. The Glenfinnan Sleeper Car would provide quirky accommodation for us all.

MT & RM had walked a Corbett Friday in knee deep snow which took them 8.5hrs, and probably sapped some energy. They slept in the Sleeper Car Friday night which afforded them a wee lie in, arising at 7am.

The wonderful accommodation

Our target for today was the three Moidart Corbetts of An Stac, Sgurr na Ba Glaise, & Rois-Bheinn. Our starting position was from Alisary. Booted up we set off at 09.30am and followed the Alisary Burn East through woodland, the wind strong at this low level.

After 1km the woodland comes to an end and the landscape opens up, the terrain now pathless. Image

We continued East to the foot, and West face of, An Stac. Here we discussed and plotted a route of ascent, straight up and avoid the crags when confronted with them.

I led the way up through slushy snow, tugs of grass, and rocks. It wasn’t long before we decided to whip out the ice axes and don the crampons, this was due to a combination of harder snow, ice, more rocks, & the angle of ascent becoming increasingly steeper.

The ascent was brutal at times and very slow going, the wind was ferocious bringing with it constant flurries of spindrift. All you could do was stop and lean into the hill face and keep the head down.

I was trying out some new lighter boots and strap on crampons, Asolo Tribe GV & Salewa Alpinist Walk. It took some time to feel confident but they both performed well. I’ll keep the Asolo Sherpa GV & Grivel G12 semi-rigids for more technical terrain.

After 3hrs we finally reached the summit of An Stac. We didn’t hang around as the wind was gusting at least 60mph. Got the summit shots and went searching for some respite from the unrelenting wind.

Food & Shelter stop

We then descended the craggy South face of An Stac and up North to Bealach an Fhiona

From here we ascended SW to the summit of Sgurr na Ba Glaise.

On reaching the summit I was literally blown of my feet, such was the ferocity of the wind. Thankfully the summit covered a large enough area that I wasn’t blown downwards.

Again we didn’t hang around (although MT obviously needed a rest!), some quick photos and away…

We retraced our steps back to Bealach an Fhiona then shot out West ascending to Rois-Bheinn’s two summits. The wind appeared to have increased in velocity but thankfully it was behind us and made it easy going to the summits.

Now ascending to Rois-Bheinn

The views out to the Islands of Rum & Skye had always been on display but from here they looked utterly sublime, an incredible vista for the eyes.

As we did on the last two summits we quickly took a few photos and started making our way downwards, we had decided to descend the West shoulder of Rois-Bheinn for over 1km then strike North for another 1km eventually taken us through woodland to the road.

The light was now fading but the views remained stunning.

It was very tricky descending, more so when reaching the woodland. By now darkness had fell upon us but we managed to navigate the rough terrain, climbing two high fences, and reached the safety of the road.

1km later and we reached the car, it had taken us 8.5hrs. Rod drove us back to Glenfinnan.

At Glenfinnan we all showered and tucked into our food. I had a bean casserole whilst MT cooked steak for her and Rod, MT also made us hot apple pie and custard. I washed it all down with a bottle of March of the Penguins, Rod & MT guzzled down a bottle of wine.

MT was a trooper and washed all our dishes. I can’t believe no nice man has snapped her up yet, she cooks, cleans, likes a drink, walks mountains, is generous & caring (NHS worker)…if only she was 10 years younger, just way too old for me!!

The Moidart Corbetts are absolutely stunning and provide a very challenging day in full on winter conditions, but the payoff is well worth it. Rod & MT provided great company and laughs galore. We would all be walking again in the morning, it would be Rods 100th Corbett.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Re: Magnificent Moidart - A Treble Treat!!

Postby kev_russ » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:16 pm

Braw :wink: 8)
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:77
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:59 pm

Grand hills and grand photos :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:22 pm

Great stuff there Paul, some fantastic photographs, I particularly like the one of you with the islands behind with the sun setting, was that taken by MT by any chance, ha ha. A wonderful yet tiring day on the hill. More of the same please.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby ere1 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:48 pm

Well done Dooterbang, MT & RM. Lovely pics. :) Peter
ere1
Walker

Munros:51   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:1   
Islands:7

Postby spiderwebb » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:27 pm

Great report, great pics and company there Dooters :D

10 years younger :lol: cheeky bugger :lol:
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby pollyh33 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:57 pm

Fantastic to see you out on the hills where you belong Paul :clap: :clap: :clap:

Needless to say that I'm enjoying that special Dooter pose as always :wink: :wink: :wink:

PS excellent choice of hill buddies- they don't come much better than Rod and MT.
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby lochlaggan » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:38 pm

These often forgotten hills are well worth a visit and i'd go back in a flash. Moidart is a special place and your wonderful photos capture the feel for the place.

Nice one.
lochlaggan
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:212
Fionas:4   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:11

Postby mountain thyme » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:56 pm

Cracking day with great company. Although I thought id logged onto match.com for a minute there :lol:
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1

Postby rockhopper » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:30 pm

Not bad - but looks familiar :wink: Think you guys should get more efficient and agree who's doing the reports :wink: Little to choose between them - just a bit more posing around in yours perhaps :wink:

dooterbang wrote:MT was a trooper and washed all our dishes. I can’t believe no nice man has snapped her up yet, she cooks, cleans, likes a drink, walks mountains, is generous & caring (NHS worker)…if only she was 10 years younger, just way too old for me!!
jings, am gobsmacked at this :wink: :lol: looks more like the other way round from the photos, ie you being too old for MT...... :wink: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Beaner001 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:50 pm

Excellent report, look forward to these three and I'm intrigued with the choice of accommodation :D
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby mountain thyme » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:28 pm

rockhopper wrote:Not bad - but looks familiar :wink: Think you guys should get more efficient and agree who's doing the reports :wink: Little to choose between them - just a bit more posing around in yours perhaps :wink:

dooterbang wrote:MT was a trooper and washed all our dishes. I can’t believe no nice man has snapped her up yet, she cooks, cleans, likes a drink, walks mountains, is generous & caring (NHS worker)…if only she was 10 years younger, just way too old for me!!
jings, am gobsmacked at this :wink: :lol: looks more like the other way round from the photos, ie you being too old for MT...... :wink: - cheers :)

Exactly RH..... he talks some Sh### :lol:

Beaner001 wrote:Excellent report, look forward to these three and I'm intrigued with the choice of accommodation :D

Beaner.. I googled Bunkhouses in Glenfinnan and that's what came up. Great wee bunkhouse. Sleeps 10. One toilet, one shower, good kitchen with cooker and 2 fridges and a seating area :D
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1

Postby dooterbang » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:17 pm

Thanks for all the comments folks!

A great trio of hills with a greater trio walking them :D 8)
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby litljortindan » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:30 pm

Great set of pictures but a punishing sounding day with such a wind.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland