walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Clear Day Up Mount Keen

A Clear Day Up Mount Keen

Postby freudianmark » Mon May 31, 2010 10:23 pm

Route description: Mount Keen from Glen Esk

Munros included on this walk: Mount Keen

Date walked: 31/05/2010

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 708m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The sky was clear blue when I set out for Mount Keen. It remained so for the entire trip. Having parked the car at the Invermark car park, the route was very easy to find and follow. I always take a map with me whenever I go walking, but due to the clear weather and the well-maintained path to the summit, on this occasion the map remained in my pocket the entire time. Still, an important precaution on any trip.

At the start of the walk through Glen Mark, there is an electric fence with a gate. So it turns out that all those hours playing the medical-tweezers-buzzing game Operation weren't wasted after all. Encountering this metal gate (yes, connected to an electric fence) was quite a sensation, as it sparked at me and started to make a clicking sound whilst I carefully unhooked the metal chain which keeps it in place. I was starting to wish I'd put the Colonel's phone number in my mobile, as I was convinced I might be about to become Kentucky Fried Chicken at a moment's notice.
ElectricFence.jpg
Zap, Buzz or Fry?

The walk through Glen Mark prior to ascending Mount Keen was all fine and good - the walk back again after the descent rather less so! The section between Invermark and the foot of Mount Keen is a long flat path, probably just a couple of miles, but coming back it feels more like 10. Still, there are some great hills around the Glen to marvel at.
GlenMark2.jpg

As this was a sunny day on a Bank Holiday Monday, there were a good few walkers ascending Mount Keen. A mixture of seasoned walkers, wildlife spotters, mountain cyclists, and new mountain walkers such as myself. At the foot of the challenge, the Easter Burn glistened in the summer sunshine.
EasterBurn.jpg

The climb up the Mount was a steady slog, but as long as one takes regular breaks and has brought enough water, there should be no complaints. As I approached the summit, I said hello to a couple of pensioners. I bet their GP loves them! At the summit itself there was a fantastic view, due to those bright blue skies.
MountKeenSummit.jpg
freudianmark
Munro compleatist

Re: A Clear Day Up Mount Keen

Postby Alan S » Mon May 31, 2010 11:20 pm

Some good pictures there 8) i like the one of glen mark
I have read a few reports on this hill now and i fancy a crack at it this year

Thanks
Alan
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland