walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Who needs the Alps ?

Who needs the Alps ?

Postby scotdavid63 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:54 am

Route description: Beinn Dòrain & Beinn an Dòthaidh, Bridge of Orchy

Munros included on this walk: Beinn an Dòthaidh, Beinn Dòrain

Date walked: 28/02/2016

Time taken: 4.75 hours

Distance: 12.75 km

Ascent: 1100m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Just a wee post to say that the weekend of 27th/28th was unbelievable weatherwise, not a puff of wind and wall to wall sunshine.
We left the station car park (packed with cars and vans) at 10.15am, lot of people out as it was such an amazing day. The snow is currently hard packed and on the way up to the bealach there's one section that is quite steep but no need for crampons.
The 300m or so ascent to the south to get to Beinn Dorain is very straightforward, one steepish section of 200m - 300m but then it's an absolute pleasure on a day like today. My son had his ice axe but I stuck to poles, nothing tricky at all !
Bounced most of the way back to the bealach, dogs also very happy as not picking up snow in between their pads etc.

First wee section up to Beinn an Dothaidh is steep but also straightforward. We aimed pretty much straight for the main Munro top and no issues. Had a nice chat with a couple of lady skiers skinning their way up. The munro top had a few people there including a compleatist (seem to bump into more and more of them now) and, impressively, he lives in Cambridge so has to travel up to do them !
Took the other top on on the NW side on the way back round, very ice for 100m coming off the main munro top so I landed on my arse with a bump once and bent a pole annoyingly although reshaped the pole straight away and it seems fine.
Back in the station car park at a few mins before 2pm, what an cracking walk - we had started it ten days previously and not made it up. What a difference the weather makes.
Gave a lovely old chap, Jim, another compleatist, a lift down to Crianlarich and headed home with a well earned stop in Callander for pies etc !
scotdavid63
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:3   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland