our_route.gpx Open full screen NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts
A beautiful weekend for a two day trip to Wales - starting with a good chunk of the Moelwynion Hills on Saturday.
Lovely blue skies, not much breeze and only a slight bit of snow on the fells on Moelwyn Mawr.
- You would do well to go wrong on the route to Cnicht from Croesor
- The 'Matterhorn of Wales' ahead
- Approaching the steep, but excellent final climb
- Looking to the North Top from the Main Top
- And back to the Main Top from the North Top
- Heading for Ysgafell Wen North Top
- Ysgafell Wen North Top looking to a shapely Moel Siabod
- We then diverted to Ysgafell Wen Far North Top to look over to Snowdon
- Moel Druman and Allt Fawr from Ysgafell Wen Main Top - this is a fascinating ridge walk with attractive mountain tarns all over but I imagine it would be horrible in mist with so many little peaks around
- Allt Fawr from Moel Druman
- The main Moelwyn peaks from Allt Fawr
- The route ahead saw us head to the left of Llyn Conglog and follow the cliff edge round to the quarry workings.
This proved easy at first but suddenly there was a decent descent followed by an awkward traverse around the cliffs before another sharp, rocky descent. In hindsight we'd probably have been better retracing our steps over the two previous hills.
- Down at the quarry now looking to a snowy Moelwyn Mawr
- Moel-yr-hydd summit
- Moelwyn Mawr from the top of the North Ridge
- Trig point on Moelwyn Mawr
- Moelwyn Bach over Craigysgafn
- Looking down on Llyn Stwlan
- The final climb to Moelwyn Bach
- The descent route back to Croesor from Moelwyn Bach