walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Grey Crag & Tarn Crag.

Grey Crag & Tarn Crag.

Postby mamoset » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:13 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Branstree, Grey Crag, Tarn Crag (Far Eastern Fells)

Hewitts included on this walk: Branstree, Grey Crag, Tarn Crag

Date walked: 23/02/2016

Time taken: 4.8

Distance: 14.5 km

Ascent: 1300m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

With a favourable weather forecast for today, I headed for Mardale Head to visit Tarn & Grey Crags again.
IMG_8137.JPG
Which way to go today?
It was a lovely winter morning, crisp and fresh as I set off to go over Gatescarth Pass, a route I had never before used :shock:
IMG_8040.JPG
Harter Fell as I set off.
I quickly gained height as the sun was starting to hit the fells.
IMG_8044.JPG
Rough Crag & Long Stile leading to High Street.
I left the track at the top of Gatescarth Pass and decided to climb Branstree.
IMG_8051.JPG
Looking back as I climb Branstree.
It's an easy climb to the top, but I didn't linger here long before heading back down to Gatescarth Pass.
IMG_8054.JPG
Branstree.
IMG_8066.JPG
The route ahead down Gatescarth Pass into Longsleddale.
I chose to climb Grey Crag first and come back over the top to Tarn Crag and back down to Gatescarth. Rather than go all the way to Sadgill, I climbed alongside Galeforth Gill, as there is some interesting looking falls up there.
IMG_8082.JPG
Galeforth Falls.
Once at the top of Galeforth Gill, it was a plod over roughish ground which I was pleased was a little frozen, as it would have been awful in the wet! :roll:
IMG_8085.JPG
Looking across to Goat Scar.
IMG_8088.JPG
Sadgill and Green Quarter.
IMG_8089.JPG
Being watched!!!
IMG_8091.JPG
Shipman Knotts to Kentmere Pike.
I stopped at the summit for a bite to eat, even though the breeze was really cool. The air was really clear, showing the snow topped Coniston fells in the distance.
IMG_8095.JPG
Distant Coniston fells.
IMG_8098.JPG
Grey Crag.
IMG_8102.JPG
A bit of Windermere.
The walk over to Tarn Crag turned out to be the wettest part of the day :lol: though Greycrag Tarn didn't seem to have much water in it!!!
IMG_8105.JPG
Greycrag Tarn.
IMG_8108.JPG
Tarn Crag.
After leaving Tarn Crag, I left the path as it headed over to Branstree, and landed back on Gatescarth Pass.
IMG_8117.JPG
Leaving Longsleddale behind.
Now that the sun was high, the views of the Haweswater fells was much improved.
IMG_8122.JPG
Harter Fell to High Raise.
IMG_8126.JPG
Looking up to High Street.
IMG_8129.JPG
First glimpse of Haweswater.
IMG_8132.JPG
Another look up Long Stile to High Street.
Haweswater was as full as I have seen it for a long time, though after the Winter Cumbria has had, it's hardly surprising.
IMG_8136.JPG
Full Haweswater.
It was nice to have a walk in the sun again in an area that I never tire of being in :clap: Stopped on the way home to take a pic of Riggindale, a lovely picturesque setting.
IMG_8141.JPG
Riggindale.
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Re: Grey Crag & Tarn Crag.

Postby trailmasher » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:32 pm

Good report, good walk, good weather, good choice :clap: what more can a man want mamoset :) and a great area for walking :D Galeforth Gill looks an interesting route. I've dropped down between the gill and Great Howe and that was fairly hard going so must have been for you going up :roll:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby dav2930 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:06 pm

That looked a really interesting way up Grey Crag by Galeforth Gill mamoset. Might try that way myself if I ever do those two again. Great photos; weather like that makes all the difference doesn't it? :clap:
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby mamoset » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:56 am

trailmasher wrote:Good report, good walk, good weather, good choice :clap: what more can a man want mamoset :) and a great area for walking :D Galeforth Gill looks an interesting route. I've dropped down between the gill and Great Howe and that was fairly hard going so must have been for you going up :roll:

Thanks trail, it was a good day all round :D . Going up Galeforth was quite steep to start, but ground was ok, which always helps :clap:

dav2930 wrote:That looked a really interesting way up Grey Crag by Galeforth Gill mamoset. Might try that way myself if I ever do those two again. Great photos; weather like that makes all the difference doesn't it? :clap:

cheers dav, you're right, what a difference good weather makes :clap: Galeforth is a good way up, i enjoy getting getting off the usual tracks, makes it a bit more interesting :clap:
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Postby ChrisW » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:06 pm

Wow, that's a beauty Mamoset, though clearly has some work in it too. The photos are wonderful throughout :clap: Did you have all this to yourself, if so that's even better :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby mamoset » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:33 pm

ChrisW wrote:Wow, that's a beauty Mamoset, though clearly has some work in it too. The photos are wonderful throughout :clap: Did you have all this to yourself, if so that's even better :wink:

Thanks Chris. Saw one person on the whole round, only when i got near to the car park did people appear, so yeh, the solitude was great :)
mamoset
Mountain Walker

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland