walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sunshine and blue skies on Binnein "the beast" Mor

Sunshine and blue skies on Binnein "the beast" Mor

Postby Jaxter » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:46 pm

Route description: Binnein Mòr and Na Gruagaichean, Mamores

Munros included on this walk: Binnein Mòr, Na Gruagaichean

Date walked: 28/02/2016

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 1259m

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sunday began with an early start which felt particularly painful as there had been a long and brutal game of Monopoly (still unfinished) the night before. But the promise of blue skies and sunshine had us pile into the car and run for the hills, literally! :D

As it got light along Loch Lomond the views were beginning to be magical, and coming through Bridge of Orchy and up onto Rannoch Moor I was struggling to keep my eyes on the road. We paused a couple of times for pictures, including the obligatory famous view of the Buachaille where we had a brief comfort break.

The big buckle

Coming though Glencoe was equally stunning. We already had more nice pictures than from our last trip and we hadn't even started walking yet! We arrived at the Grey Mare car park in Kinlochleven, booted up and added several more layers as it was pretty nippy before heading off up the path at 8am.

The path leading through the woods was rocky and steep and before long we were having to shed layers and re-hydrate. During one of these pauses we were passed by a man who said he was doing our route with 5 others. It was comforting to know that there were others on the same mountains as we knew there were likely to be some tricky moments ahead :shock:

We kept plodding on and eventually came out of the woods. The terrain eased a little and we were able to look back on the most incredible view down to Kinlochleven and beyond.

a view :D

Me spoiling the view!

Shadows

We continued on and encountered some very icy sections of path, but fortunately both managed to stay on our feet. Na G was visible on the left, and ahead of us was our route up onto Sgurr Eilde Beag behind which the beast of our first target, Binnein Mor, was hiding.

We were into the snow by now but several people had been up in the previous few days and had trail-bashed for us, making the route clear and walking somewhat easier. The snow was pretty crunchy and not hard to walk on except the odd occasion where one foot sank into a previous deep Yeti footprint!

Give us a wave! :lol:

Loch Eilde Mor

We continued on, crossed a stream and followed the zig zags upwards. Looking back, we could see that the other people were heading up to Na G first. Wondering if they knew something we didn't, we continued :crazy:

Footprints behind

As the path steepened, the day began to get hotter. The sun was beating down on us. I was stripped down to a tshirt! 8) I was regretting leaving the sun tan lotion in the car (to be honest I'd never even thought about taking it, it was still there from summer. It's not the sort of thing I would think of in February, certainly not the February we've had! :lol: ) The views were absolutely stunning; we could see for miles and miles.

What a view, with me blocking it :lol:

We continued up the path until the footprints split. One set headed directly up, the others continued round the corner. We went for straight up - get it over with quicker :lol: At least we had the sun on our backs now and it didn't look too bad.... :roll:

Up there!? :shock:

What we should have done was put our crampons on before heading up. But we didn't. Rookie error. Lesson learnt: always put them on before you need them! What followed were some slightly anxious moments and we were very relieved to reach the top, which would have been much much easier with the crampons!

Me plodding upwards

Sgurr Eilde Mor

Now on top of SEB, we could see the rest of our walk ahead of us. The pointy summit of Binnein Mor was pointing to the sky at the end of the very narrow looking ridge and Na G was glinting in the sun off to the left. We added a few layers as it was a little chillier up high, had a quick refuel and photo moment and headed off towards the beast :twisted:

Binnein Mor and ridge coming into view

What a day!

Enjoying the views

We knew we would need crampons and axes for the ridge out to the summit of Binnein Mor, so paused before the final ascent to the ridge so we would have time to get used to wearing them.

We finally reached the ridge, and it didn't seem anywhere near as narrow as it had from afar thankfully :lol: so we merrily set off down it, drinking in the views.

There was one slightly exposed icy bit but thankfully the crampons made us feel wonderfully secure and we powered on to the summit. We had been warned it was very pointy and it's true, it's very cosy up there!

I felt on top of the world! :D :thumbup:

That's some view 8)

Nevis and CMD
Imager

We took many many pictures, then I got out my new toy - I'd "accidentally" bought a GoPro camera during the week so got a full panorama of the views. It was incredible. My camera work, however, needs some practise :roll:

Link to Video

After a while we started to get chilly, so had a quick drink and headed back down the ridge. As we got closer to it, we started inspecting the ridge out to Na G.

Me leaving the top

Surveying the ridge

It looked pretty narrow. One edge had a drop with a bit of a cornice, the other side was almost as bad in places! :shock: We decided to stop to refuel before tackling it. We met a group of people going the opposite way who had come across unscathed, so we felt a bit more confident! :D I finished off my sandwiches accompanied by spectacular views, and we saw a guy climbing up on a pair of skis. He was coming up at some speed - clearly superfit! :clap:

The time had come - we headed across the ridge. There were a few very very narrow sections where anyone standing nearby might have heard "don't look down" being whispered, but the majority was enjoyable, and the evidence of footprints was comforting. We walked the last few metres to the summit of Na G and enjoyed even more fabulous views. :D

Looking back we can see the whole ridge :shock:

Na G summit!

Inspecting the Ring of Steall

Loch Leven

I'll admit I was having such a great day that I didn't want to head down yet, so took more pictures than necessary here, but eventually we figured it was time to go and headed down the ridge, following the footprints of all the other people who had come up this way.

With our crampons still on and the snow conditions great, this was a nice descent.

However, it got very steep for several sections towards the bottom and we felt confident that we had tackled the walk in the right direction! :D

Trying to show how steep it was!

Eventually we met up with our outward path and had to lose the crampons at last. It was very warm now we were lower down and it seemed some of the snow had melted. Unfortunately, the icy patches had not melted and I had my now traditional Bambi moment although by some miracle I managed to stay on my feet :lol:

Looking back down Loch Leven

We followed the path back down towards the wooded section where it became steep and was quite hard work for tired legs. Eventually we reached the car at 4 and it was a relief to take the boots and packs off and finish off our water. As I was on driving duties today, I stuffed a sandwich down my gullet, made a brief stop in the Kinlochleven Co-op for ibuprofen (back playing up again), water (ran out) and chocolate (hey, we had earned it!) and headed home, admiring the lovely views again.

It was an absolutely perfect winter day, could not have faulted the conditions in any way. Feeling a little red-faced today (sun burn in February?!) and a whole lot tired, but absolutely worth it :D :D 8)
Last edited by Jaxter on Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Sunshine and blue skies on Binnein "the beast" Mor

Postby Jaxter » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:47 pm

Edited to add extra photos to previous post #technicalgenius
Last edited by Jaxter on Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby Guinessman » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:05 pm

Looks a great day out , Jaxter. Your photos are superb.

Is that the white t-shirt making another appearance!!!!
Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Postby dooterbang » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:17 pm

Fantastic report with outstanding photos :clap:

First time in crampons is always a nerve jangler, you soon feel confident though.

Ha, I usually end up with big blisters on my lips but thankfully had some lip balm at the weekend...no lotion though so face like a tomato. Folk will think we've all chartered a plane to hotter climes!

I did these two hills in summer...that ridge looks fab in winter, may give it a go :)

Cheers

Paul
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby Collaciotach » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:24 pm

Ah grand , got rubbish weather ón these and your photos inspire mé to return ...ón a good day :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby scoob999 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:58 pm

Nice video :clap: been a while since I accidently bought a Go Pro too :lol:

No where near the amount of snow I thought there'd be on the ridge :? great walk though :D
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby Beaner001 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:04 pm

Nice report you two, still got these ones to do :shock:
My coupon is a tad burnt today too after the weekend, been experimenting with the wife's creams & lotions to try for some relief :lol: :oops:
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Andymac75 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:18 pm

Good stuff.

What an awesome day it was to be on a mountain.

That snow looks as heavy going as the stuff I trudged through.

Sunburn? Ditto.
Andymac75

Postby jupe1407 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:39 pm

That looks awesome! Well done :clap:
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby litljortindan » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:52 pm

That looks a memorable day.

P.S. I find for back pain that a stop every hour when driving and back extensions help i.e bending your torso backwards whilst holding your hips or lower back.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Jaxter » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:36 am

Guinessman wrote:Looks a great day out , Jaxter. Your photos are superb.

Is that the white t-shirt making another appearance!!!!

Thanks! Yes - the white t-shirt lives to see another day :lol:

dooterbang wrote:Fantastic report with outstanding photos :clap:

First time in crampons is always a nerve jangler, you soon feel confident though.

Ha, I usually end up with big blisters on my lips but thankfully had some lip balm at the weekend...no lotion though so face like a tomato. Folk will think we've all chartered a plane to hotter climes!

I did these two hills in summer...that ridge looks fab in winter, may give it a go :)

Cheers

Paul

Thanks - aye I've downgraded from tomato yesterday to Rudolph's red nose today. Well worth it :lol:

Collaciotach wrote:Ah grand , got rubbish weather ón these and your photos inspire mé to return ...ón a good day :D

It's an amazing viewpoint. You can see everywhere!! Definitely worth another trip :D

scoob999 wrote:Nice video :clap: been a while since I accidently bought a Go Pro too :lol:

No where near the amount of snow I thought there'd be on the ridge :? great walk though :D

Cheers :D Yeah, my finger slipped, honest :lol:

Epic walk :D

Beaner001 wrote:Nice report you two, still got these ones to do :shock:
My coupon is a tad burnt today too after the weekend, been experimenting with the wife's creams & lotions to try for some relief :lol: :oops:

Cheers! Get a good day for them - well worth it! :D And that ridge would be terrifying in the wind :lol:

Andymac75 wrote:Good stuff.

What an awesome day it was to be on a mountain.

That snow looks as heavy going as the stuff I trudged through.

Sunburn? Ditto.

Sunburn seems a common theme this weekend :lol: Sign of a good day :D

jupe1407 wrote:That looks awesome! Well done :clap:

Cheers! It was :D

litljortindan wrote:That looks a memorable day.

P.S. I find for back pain that a stop every hour when driving and back extensions help i.e bending your torso backwards whilst holding your hips or lower back.

Thanks - will try that out!! :D :thumbup:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby Petr Dakota » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:23 pm

How great it looks in winter ! Especially in day like this... :D 8) :clap:
I did the Mamores round of 4, incl. these two in summer in good conditions, but my walk was supported by all the midges around :lol: :lol:
Well done you team again ! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Postby dogplodder » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:25 pm

This is fabulous! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Fife Flyer » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:57 pm

Enjoyed that and what a weekend for photo's of hills, some crackers there :clap: :clap:

Like everyone else, my face was a tad red for a couple of days as it hasn't seen the sun for what seems like months :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby Jaxter » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:22 am

Petr Dakota wrote:How great it looks in winter ! Especially in day like this... :D 8) :clap:
I did the Mamores round of 4, incl. these two in summer in good conditions, but my walk was supported by all the midges around :lol: :lol:
Well done you team again ! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I know - such a beautiful set of hills :D
No midges on Sunday, although Hugh was shocked to discover that I had the Avon midge stuff in my bag (just in case, mind :wink: ) ...but no sun cream :shock: :lol:

dogplodder wrote:This is fabulous! :D

It was :D :thumbup:

Fife Flyer wrote:Enjoyed that and what a weekend for photo's of hills, some crackers there :clap: :clap:

Like everyone else, my face was a tad red for a couple of days as it hasn't seen the sun for what seems like months :lol:

Thanks, yes what a weekend :D :D

I'd take the red face all over again for another day like that :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland