walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Challum on a perfect, crisp & sunny Winter's day

Ben Challum on a perfect, crisp & sunny Winter's day

Postby jwramsay » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:30 am

Route description: Ben Challum, near Tyndrum

Munros included on this walk: Ben Challum

Date walked: 28/02/2016

Time taken: 7 hours

Ascent: 1025m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The weather forecast for Sunday 28th February 2016 was wall to wall winter sunshine, do I decided to kick-start my 2016 munro bagging campaign. Being short days still, I decided a single would suffice, so plumped fore the nearest one from my house that I had not done - Ben Challum.

I had attempted Ben Challum before but was suffering from a virus which knocked me for 6 and I had to turn back around half way.

Strath Fillan is the starting point for the walk:

Grave with a view:

Ben Lui with his winter coat looking resplendant:

The route is simple, park at the layby on the A82, cross the road, follow the road over the river up to the farm and swing right up the landrover track past the Fillan graveyard. Cross the railway by either the bridge or the crossing and head for the fence on the right. Follow this all the way to the first false summit and then head left, dropping down a little to raise to the main summit cairn.

The going at the start was excellent as the hard frost had make the lower sloped rock solid and easy to traverse, not so on the way down after 7 hours of lovely sunshine had thawed it all out. Slipped and fell on my butt twice!

At around 2000 feet the snow begins. Still easy going for a bit and then it gets to ice-axe and crampons time. I had the former but not the latter, so gingerly used the existing footprints. The views really open up and the eye is always drawn to the Crianlarich Hills to your right:

Crianlarich Hills:

Getting steeper - almost ice axe and crampons time:

Just before the first false summit you meet the bizzare ice structure which is a post with ice sweeping to the left hand side.

Me and the ice sculpture:

The walk then gets real fun as you sweep over the false summit and see the real summit. You have to drop down and recover the height and the rest. A long slide is in store on the right hand side for the unwary, so ice axe was grasped that little harder.

Looking back to the ridge from the summit:

The views from the summit were just amazing. At the snout we can see Glen Lochay with the Lawers Range at its head, to the North The Mamores and Ben Nevis. To the west, the Etive Hills and Ben Cruachan, to the east Stuc a Chroin and Ben Vorlich, to the south east The Crianlarich Hills - Ben More, Sobinnean , Cruc Ardrain, Ben a Chrion, An Castealle, Ben Chabhair. To the north west The Tyndrum Hills - Ben Lui, Ben Oss, Ben Dubchraigh.

Ben Nevis & The Grey Corries (looking a tad white):

Glen Lochay with the Lawers Range - Ben Lawers shining like a diamond;

Ben Moire & Stob Binnien:

Ben Cruachan:

The traverse back was real fun, I even got passed by a guy on skis as we went backup to the first false summit!

Looking back to the summit:

Ski dude:

Honourable mention to the members of the Kirkintilloch Walking Club for posing for photos:

View forward to the Crianlarich Hills:

Kept coming across this - Raven poo?

I spotted that some teens in front had done bum slides on the way down, so joined in - great fun and a super way to lose height quickly.

View back up to the false summit:

Crianlarich Hills looking good with sun shinging on them now:

I crossed the railway bridge - after reading the official Walk Highlands site this is verbotten:

Poser in from of Ben More and Stob Binnien:

Started with a graveyard, finish with a graveyard:

I got back to the car around 4:30pm after a 09:15am start, so 7 hours is not too bad, given the amount of time I spent taking photos and videos. Everyone I met was so happy and complimentary of the superb day that we had, it really was a goldilocks winter walk.

4K Youtube Video:
jwramsay
Mountain Walker

Munros:109   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   Donalds:3

Re: Ben Challum on a perfect, crisp & sunny Winter's day

Postby jwramsay » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:04 am

None of the folks I met on Sunday around?
jwramsay
Mountain Walker

Postby litljortindan » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:47 pm

Superb pictures of Lui, Cruachan and, especially, Ben More. Don't think I've seen that view of Ben More before.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby jwramsay » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:05 am

litljortindan wrote:Superb pictures of Lui, Cruachan and, especially, Ben More. Don't think I've seen that view of Ben More before.

Thanks. My favourite was the Ben Nevis. He wears the winter coat so well!
jwramsay
Mountain Walker

Postby Jaxter » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:16 am

jwramsay wrote:The route is simple, park at the layby on the A82, cross the road, follow the road over the river up to the farm and swing right up the landrover track past the Fillan graveyard.

It is simple...but I still managed to mess it up, I was following the WH instructions and turned before the wrong graveyard :? :lol:

Had similar conditions to you - it's an amazing viewpoint isn't it! Challum is severely underrated although definitely a winter hill.

Smashing photos! :clap:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:57 am

Unfortunately we were travelling for most of Sunday, but Saturday was a similar day, and we enjoyed similar Goldilocks conditions on Ben Lui, and took frequent shots of Challum, Cruachan, the Crianlarich Hills, and indeed the whole of the Highlands, resplendent in white (but many many many more of Lui, similar to yours - wasn't she looking just jaw-droppingly splendid???). Report posted yesterday.

I see that you had a fair bit of company. Astonishingly we met only 4 folk on the whole Lui-Oss round, wonderful weather notwithstanding!
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby jwramsay » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:22 pm

Alteknacker wrote:Unfortunately we were travelling for most of Sunday, but Saturday was a similar day, and we enjoyed similar Goldilocks conditions on Ben Lui, and took frequent shots of Challum, Cruachan, the Crianlarich Hills, and indeed the whole of the Highlands, resplendent in white (but many many many more of Lui, similar to yours - wasn't she looking just jaw-droppingly splendid???). Report posted yesterday.

I see that you had a fair bit of company. Astonishingly we met only 4 folk on the whole Lui-Oss round, wonderful weather notwithstanding!

Just read and commented on your report - great shots and major respect for the round!

Yeah Challum was like Sauchiehall St mid afternoon.
jwramsay
Mountain Walker

Postby wilkiemurray » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:07 pm

what a cracking day - need more of these !!

Enjoyed the film some great white peaks and blue skies :)

ATB

Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby DougieR1980 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:43 pm

jwramsay wrote:None of the folks I met on Sunday around?

Great photos. What camera do you use?
DougieR1980
Munro compleatist

Munros:81   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland