walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cruachan on a Summer's Day - The Other Two

Cruachan on a Summer's Day - The Other Two

Postby Craiging619 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:58 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Chochuill & Beinn Eunaich

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chochuill, Beinn Eunaich

Date walked: 23/08/2014

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 1220m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

In 2014 I was still car-less, and with the number of potential day trips from Glasgow steadily reducing, I decided it was finally time to attempt two Munros I had always planned on climbing, Beinn a'Chochuill and Beinn Eunaich, behind the main Cruachan range. The weather was fantastic and it turned to be a great summer's day, with amazing birds-eye views of Loch Awe and Kilchurn Castle.

Part of the Ben Cruachan massif and Loch Awe.

Kilchurn Castle sat on the edge of Loch Awe.

The track heads gradually up the hillside to over 400m, a terrific head-start for the steep climb of Beinn a'Chochuill's Southern ridge.

A small cairn marks the start of the route up Beinn a'Chochuill.

Ben Lui and the Crianlarich hills appeared to the South-East as the steep ridge began to ease up.

ImageA clear path crossed the main East-West ridge heading up the summit to Beinn a'Chochuill, which was in and out of cloud cover.

Finally the increasingly narrow ridge reached the final summit of Beinn a'Chochuill.

With perfect timing, the clouds began to gave way to reveal Loch Etive and the Western seaboard.

The pointed summits of Ben Cruachan were nearby to the South.

The Arrochar Alps (?) to the South.

ImageAfter descending the Eastern ridge, Loch Awe came back into view as I crossed the bealach towards Beinn Eunaich.

ImageBeinn a'Chochuill from Beinn Eunaich.

ImageThe summit of Beinn Eunaich was an even better viewpoint, with Loch Awe and Kilchurn Castle visible again.

I wasn't the only Munro-bagger today.

The descent of Beinn Eunaich was the most enjoyable part of the day, with Loch Awe looking very inviting to the South.

As the path suddenly veered off the Southern ridge back towards the track from the morning, the rain made a cameo appearance.

I passed another hill-goer, who reassured that this was the correct way as he bounded ahead of me down the hillside.

The route became remarkably steep for the last 100m or so, and it was a great relief to return to the track that led back down to Lochawe.

ImageThe Other Two from the roadside.

ImageThis zoom shot of Beinn Eunaich possibly explains why the path veers off to the West towards the end. The termination of the South ridge is even steeper straight ahead.

All in all, I had a tremendous time in my first proper visit to this part of Scotland. The climb certainly whetted the appetite for me to return to climb Ben Cruachan, but Beinn a'Chochuill and Beinn Eunaich are fine mountains in their own right, with the latter allowing for phenomenal views of Loch Awe and Argyll to the South. the only thing I would have done differently would be to visit Lochawe village for dinner, but hopefully Ben Cruachan will give me that excuse in the future...

Craiging619
Hill Bagger

Munros:70   Corbetts:34
Fionas:40   Donalds:42+14
Sub 2000:22   
Islands:21
Walk wish-list

Re: Cruachan on a Summer's Day - The Other Two

Postby Alteknacker » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:44 pm

They look like fine hills! Some great pictures there.

I was up on Cruachan last weekend, and had hoped to combine it with your two - we decided on a shorter route. But I'll do the whole ridge route some day :)
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Re: Cruachan on a Summer's Day - The Other Two

Postby katyhills » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:02 pm

Lovely report and lots of fine pix there. I don't remember much about those two - think it was very misty for most of it ! Love that last photo. The views down to Loch Awe are beautiful :D

Hope you enjoy Cruachan when you get to it - it's a great walk :)
katyhills
Walker

Munros:120   Corbetts:28
Fionas:7   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:3   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland