walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Ben Nevis/ Carn Mor Dearg Arete advice

Ben Nevis/ Carn Mor Dearg Arete advice

Postby Cholin52 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:18 pm

Seeing all this chat about Novices I guess this is the right place for advice! I'm climbing Ben Nevis in June with three chums who are all fairly fit mid 50's. we've done snowdon a couple of times using the easy Pyg Track. HOwever The Ben looks a tad more challenging and although we would like to try going by the Carn Mor Dearg Arete we are not sure if it could be a step too far! We understand about safety and being prepared but just how experienced do you have to be in June for that route?
Cholin52

Re: Ben Nevis/ Carn Mor Dearg Arete advice

Postby mountain coward » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:35 am

I personally wouldn't say it was difficult, just narrowish - if you have a head for heights you should be fine I would think. June would ge a great month to do it and there shouldn't be any snow/ice on the ridge (there is always some on Ben Nevis's summit). I would look up the compass bearings (probably googleable) for the summit plateau in case it's misty. The only weather in June which I would say would be unsuitable is high winds. When I say you need a head for heights, it's not really all that narrow, just people (like me) who find very steep on each side daunting may not enjoy it much. I'd give it a go - either way, even if you don't make it, you'll have walked a great Munro one side or the other... Good luck!
mountain coward

Postby Cholin52 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:06 pm

Thank for that, very helpful and we can now make a much more informed decision!.
Cholin52

Postby Paul Webster » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:10 pm

Yes, you need to be able to navigate, and also be fit as its a big route and is much more strenuous. But the arete itself doesn't call for any special skills; just normal hillwalking with a bit of hands. If you decide to go for it, good luck :D
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Cholin52 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:24 pm

and thanks to you too PAul, I'm hoping I can persuade my colleagues it's not too tough for us 'oldens'!
Cholin52

Postby mountain coward » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:03 am

Well I'm an oldun (as is Richard) and we were fine! :)
mountain coward

Postby munrojo » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:59 pm

did the arete last year and its the best route and away from the crowded side of the ben im 50 now so you go fo it matey
and send in some good pics :D
munrojo

Munros:188   Corbetts:4
Fionas:3   Donalds:1

Postby bio-man » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:17 pm

Agree with the above..... the arete looks worse than it is, it's not overly narrow, although it's steep on both sides. A bit airy and if you get a clear day it's a fabulous rush!! Enjoy!!
bio-man
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   

Postby Monkey » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:12 pm

You'll be fine in June. I crossed last summer and I was almost disappointed at how easy I found the Carn Mor Dearg Arete. I'm scared of heights and I was psyched up for something a lot worse. I did go very slowly however. ;) The views of Ben Nevis's craggy north face are very impressive.
Monkey

Munros:33   

Postby Wanderlust » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:30 pm

Pick a nice day for it, the views are amazing
Wanderlust

Munros:282   Corbetts:51
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Hewitts:79
Wainwrights:131   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion