walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Passing 50 on the Invervar 4.

Passing 50 on the Invervar 4.

Postby mamoset » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:47 pm

Route description: Càrn Gorm, Meall Garbh, Càrn Mairg & Creag Mhòr

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Gorm, Càrn Mairg, Creag Mhòr (Meall na Aighean), Meall Garbh (Càrn Mairg)

Date walked: 10/03/2016

Time taken: 6.7 hours

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 1600m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I'd looked at doing these four as a winter walk for some time and with a positive forecast, i left home at 03.30 hoping for a good day of walking. I arrived at Invervar in good time, and left the car 07.45. I followed the scar of a track up alongside Invervar Burn before following the usual WH route.
IMG_8148.JPG
No map skills required!!
The day was a beauty, clear blue skies for most of the day 8) . What more could you want?
IMG_8158.JPG
The end from the start.
On the ascent of Carn Gorm, i came across one set of footprints, which, judging by the depth of the snow, helped me immensely. These tracks went on to Meall Garbh, where from there, i had to make my own way :lol: If whoever left those tracks is reading this, cheers :thumbup: As i gained height on Carn Gorm, the views opened up and just got better & better. I will let the pictures show, they will do a better job than my writing :lol:
IMG_8184.JPG
Stob Binnein & Ben More.
IMG_8190.JPG
The Lawers range.
IMG_8203.JPG
Looking ahead to Carn Mairg.
IMG_8205.JPG
Carn Gorm summit.
IMG_8206.JPG
Glen Coe.
IMG_8209.JPG
Lawers range heading west.
IMG_8216.JPG
Cairngorms.
IMG_8219.JPG
Distant Ben Nevis.
IMG_8221.JPG
Looking west.
IMG_8222.JPG
Ben Lui.
After leaving Carn Gorm, i took in An Sgorr before ascending Meall Garbh, which would be my 50th Munro. From here, in these conditions, the route is very straightforward going over Meall a' Bharr, Carn Mairg, Meall Liath and finishing on Meall na Aighean.
IMG_8237.JPG
An Sgorr looking to Carn Gorm.
IMG_8245.JPG
Ben Nevis zoomed.
IMG_8251.JPG
Ben Lawers getting cloudy!!
IMG_8255.JPG
Meall Garbh. No. 50
IMG_8258.JPG
Schiehallion.
IMG_8308.JPG
Carn Mairg.
IMG_8324.JPG
From Meall Liath, looking back.
IMG_8342.JPG
Meall na Aighean.
IMG_8349.JPG
Looking up Glen Lyon.
IMG_8365.JPG
Carn Gorm & An Sgorr nearing the end.
It was an amazing day out, i was surprised not to meet anyone on the round, but the solitude is nice at times. A shame there is limitations on the number of photo's you can post, i could have posted 10 times what i have :lol: :shock:
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Re: Passing 50 on the Invervar 4.

Postby jamesb63 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:56 pm

[quote] It was an amazing day out, i was surprised not to meet anyone on the round

Looked like you had a great day out ,I am surprised you never met any of the estate staff
they can be a problem at times not walker friendly at all
jamesb63
Munro compleatist

Munros:218   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   

Postby simon-b » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:50 am

Well done on your half century, mamoset. Nice to do that range in those conditions.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby mamoset » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:40 am

jamesb63 wrote:
It was an amazing day out, i was surprised not to meet anyone on the round
Looked like you had a great day out ,I am surprised you never met any of the estate staff
they can be a problem at times not walker friendly at all

Thanks james, maybe i was up and off too early for the staff :lol:

simon-b wrote:Well done on your half century, mamoset. Nice to do that range in those conditions.

Cheers simon, definitely think the snowy conditions adds to the experience :D
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Postby dav2930 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:29 pm

A very fine round to reach and pass your 50th Munro mamoset; and in winter conditions too - fantastic! :clap: Lots of snow up there and brilliant weather, it did indeed look an amazing day, captured with some great photos.

I have fond memories of this round too, having done it in similar conditions on 6th March 2005. I was well pleased with myself for ticking four winter Munros off in one day; having perfect weather certainly helped. That part of Perthshire is very beautiful isn't it? Happy days! :D
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby rockhopper » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:56 am

A cracking day for it - looks even nicer in the snow. Can remember seeing almost nothing the whole way having spent most of the time in the clag on these hills :roll:

Re the 25 limit - if you set up an externally hosted account, eg on flickr, you can then just post the links to the photos and can include more than 25 - cheers :)

PS well done on passing #50 :thumbup:
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Jaxter » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:46 pm

Congrats on the half century :clap:

I did these on what felt like the hottest day of the year last year so good to see them under a white blanket. It's a great walk, especially on a good day :D
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby mamoset » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:09 pm

dav2930 wrote:A very fine round to reach and pass your 50th Munro mamoset; and in winter conditions too - fantastic! :clap: Lots of snow up there and brilliant weather, it did indeed look an amazing day, captured with some great photos.

I have fond memories of this round too, having done it in similar conditions on 6th March 2005. I was well pleased with myself for ticking four winter Munros off in one day; having perfect weather certainly helped. That part of Perthshire is very beautiful isn't it? Happy days! :D

thanks dav, happy days doesn't do it justice sometimes :lol: :clap:

rockhopper wrote:A cracking day for it - looks even nicer in the snow. Can remember seeing almost nothing the whole way having spent most of the time in the clag on these hills :roll:

Re the 25 limit - if you set up an externally hosted account, eg on flickr, you can then just post the links to the photos and can include more than 25 - cheers :)

PS well done on passing #50 :thumbup:

cheers for the tip rockhopper, i might have to do that flickr thing :shock:

Jaxter wrote:Congrats on the half century :clap:

I did these on what felt like the hottest day of the year last year so good to see them under a white blanket. It's a great walk, especially on a good day :D

hi Jaxter, it felt like the hottest day of the year so far at times round there, glad i had some sun cream 8) :lol:
mamoset
Mountain Walker

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland