walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The hidden tops of Glencoe - views rather than a Munro ?

The hidden tops of Glencoe - views rather than a Munro ?

Postby Petr Dakota » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:50 pm

Route description: Sgòr na h-Ulaidh and Meall Lighiche

Munros included on this walk: Sgòr na h-Ulaidh

Date walked: 10/03/2016

Time taken: 7.53 hours

Distance: 13.41 km

Ascent: 981m

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

RK_gpx _2016-03-10_0647.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Mark got the bug and he became a regular and determined hillwalker !!! :D :clap:
He joined me on the previous trip to Cairngorms and he successfully passed the test of endurance in the hard and difficult wintery conditions when we conquered Bynack More in poor visibility, gale, ice and snow :roll: :lol: :crazy: :lol:

This trip supposed be a different story !!! :D 8) :D

It was over two weeks since our previous trip and we found another opportunity to team up again as the thursday 10.3.2016 was day off work for both of us :D In the gap Mark bought new walking boots and was really looking forward to get them busy in the hills :lol:

We started our trip at 03:45 am heading to Glencoe via Stirling, Callander and Tyndrum.
Despite the New Moon time the night showed clear sky and all shapes of the mountains around....silence and freezy conditions in the very early time, temperature changed between -6 and -1 degree of Celsius during the way 8)
As we expected we stopped many times to catch the early morning's beauty of the great scottish Highland... :D

DSC00373.JPG
Rannoch Moor ( South-West ) and the Black Mount mountains...still in the darkness

DSC00375.JPG
Rannoch Moor ( North-East ) in sunrise

DSC00376.JPG
Buachaille Etive Mor - Stob Dearg very early morning

...until we finally arrived in the small car park on the bottom of Glencoe - the start point for Sgor na h-Ulaidh route.
We started our walk at 06:47 am looking forward to see the World from top of the mountains again :wink:

DSC00387 - Copy.JPG
Looking back shortly after start, Aonach Eagach in the backround

DSC00425 - Copy.JPG
Ascending in the snow...Sgor na h-Ulaidh in the backround on the right

We decided to turn from the route to catch some more views towards Glencoe and Ben Nevis and also because the side of the slope was safer to use without a crampons...

DSC00432 - Copy.JPG
Nice clear day and views aroud...Beinn a'Bheithir in the background

20160310_103331.jpg
Looking back after a fresh snowy walk in the higher level...we were heading to the Northern side, just to get more and more views
8) :D :roll: :D

DSC00453 - Copy.JPG
Part of Aonach Eagach and Ben Nevis behind in the distance with a little Zoom
:wink:

DSC00470 - Copy.JPG
Posing in front of the roof of Glencoe - from the other side

DSC00495.JPG
Bidean nam Bian and Stob Coire Sgreamhach from the unusual side...

DSC00479.JPG
Beinn a'Bheithir - Sgorr Dhearg & Sgurr Dhonuill dominant from this view
8) 8) 8)

20160310_103327.jpg
around Aonach Dubh a'Ghlinne

DSC00488 - copy b.jpg
Stob an Fhuarain - the last top before summit ( Mark's photo )

We spent so much time there on the North side, making videos, a lot of photos and enjoying all the views...so happy to see all the beauty in such a beautiful ( but rare ) day .......time was going so quick as we realised and then we started think that is probably too late to get on the summit of the Munro Sgor na h-Ulaidh :roll: :crazy: :roll:
It was a week day and it always means for me to get back home by 16:30 and take care of my 3.5 years old daughter Cheyenne :D

DSC00501 - Copy.JPG
Perfect view point in such a great clear winter day !

20160310_103357.jpg
Great views towards Etive hills...
8) :D 8)

We turned towards South to continue walk on the ridge via another two tops, but we made slow progress in the tricky snowy - icy - rocky ground conditions...it was really hard and difficult for Mark without crampons, he lost one crampon in the last trip while climbing Bynack More :( I felt with him and to be fair I did not use my crampons too, because I wanted feel how safe it would be for him to follow...I just used my Ice-axe and climbed ahead made foot - steps for him. I also had a spare Ice-grips, carying in my rucksack just in case of emergency...so good opportunity to use them now for him, but in this conditions it was not much helpful :?
Some parts more exposed and slippery, every step was made very carefully and the surface was different: hard snow, soft snow, rock under, ice under, deep snow under....... :crazy:
Mark was still bravely continuing, but as higher it was more and more unsafe...Responsibility won and decision made to stop and turn back also because the time had not mercy with us and the chance to get back home in the planned time was less than zero if continue to get the summit... :? No doubts about and no any bad or sad feelings, better get home safe and in time than risk it in a hurry and without the right equipment.

DSC00492 - Copy.JPG
Sgor na h-Ulaidh just behind Stob an Fhuarain

I was just short distance ahead so before turning back I did put on my crampons and quickly continued just short distance to reach the last top before the summit of Sgor na h-Ulaidh.

DSC00516 - Copy.JPG
The cairn on top of Stob an Fhuarain and the views towards East
8)

DSC00526 - Copy.JPG
Towards West - Meall Lighiche ( the Corbett ) and Beinn a'Bheithir

DSC00530 - Copy.JPG
Towards East-South-East: Ben Starav & Etive Mountains

DSC00531 - Copy.JPG
Towards Noth-East and Glencoe Mountains...

DSC00532 - Copy.JPG
Sgor na h-Ulaidh - the Munro is very close, but time to turn back...

DSC00538 - Copy.JPG
Towards North with Ben Nevis in the background
:D

DSC00549.JPG
Some fun on the descend
:D :lol: :D

IMAG0631.jpg
In the lower level...but still in snow ( Mark's photo )

Despite the fact that we did not finish the Munro as we were so busy making videos, photos and having fun on the other side we were satisfied and really enjoyed the beautiful day with all the great views...from the hidden side of Glencoe :D 8)
We can do the Munro some day in the future also include the near Corbett and the weather conditions will not be so important as we got the views yesterday :D :wink:

Here is a video from the great day in perfect winter conditions:

Last edited by Petr Dakota on Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:25 pm, edited 15 times in total.
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Re: The hidden tops of Glencoe - views rather than a Munro

Postby katyhills » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:28 pm

Great report as always Petr - shame you didn't make the top but a good decision, and lovely that you went without your crampons to keep Mark 'company' although I'm not sure I'd have been that brave. :)
You could have borrowed mine - but they probably wouldn't have fitted!

Fabulous photos on a stunning winter's day.
I was feeling really fed up at work yesterday looking at the great weather on the hills and knowing it wasn't to be very good for the weekend. Typical :(
katyhills
Walker

Munros:120   Corbetts:28
Fionas:7   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:3   

Postby jamesb63 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:48 pm

Great report Petr it was a fantasic day just being out your pics prove that :clap: :clap: :clap:
I was along in Glen Dochart enjoying the same conditions :D :D
Wise descision to turn back also always another Day
I hope to do this walk soon do you see any problems to walk with my dog ??
jamesb63
Munro compleatist

Munros:218   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   

Postby ancancha » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:41 pm

Nice early morning photo of the Black Mount mountains across the water Petr :clap:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby Alteknacker » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:24 am

WHAT a day - just perfect! So you got your perfect day!

And some really great pix. I especially like the early morning ones of Rannoch Moor, the Black Mountains, and the top end of Glencoe.

It looks like the long wait was worth it :D

And the forecast (as Mark said) is for a longish high over the Highlands.... :clap:
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby dogplodder » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:00 pm

Who could complain about not reaching a summit if they got views like that? Wonderful scenery and photos! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Petr Dakota » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:55 pm

katyhills wrote:Great report as always Petr - shame you didn't make the top but a good decision, and lovely that you went without your crampons to keep Mark 'company' although I'm not sure I'd have been that brave. :)
You could have borrowed mine - but they probably wouldn't have fitted!

Fabulous photos on a stunning winter's day.
I was feeling really fed up at work yesterday looking at the great weather on the hills and knowing it wasn't to be very good for the weekend. Typical :(

Thank you :) I feel with you - missing the clear day because of work... :( I know that feelengs as I was working in the last a few great days - weeks before and when off finally then the weather changed :crazy: :? But chin up ! I got my day now and I'm sure you will get similar day soon too :wink: :D
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby Petr Dakota » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:08 pm

jamesb63 wrote:Great report Petr it was a fantasic day just being out your pics prove that :clap: :clap: :clap:
I was along in Glen Dochart enjoying the same conditions :D :D
Wise descision to turn back also always another Day
I hope to do this walk soon do you see any problems to walk with my dog ??

Thank you James :) we almost met you that day :o we were going near your route, but we started 1.5 h earlier :roll:
I'm sure you will enjoy the walk there and you will manage it quickly if you will not expand the route and the time like we did :lol: ...and about your dog ? I can't see any problem there...You managed Aonach Eagach with Jake ! ...so no worries about this :D :wink: Just keep control around the houses on the beginning and also some sheep on the slopes...
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby Petr Dakota » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:10 pm

ancancha wrote:Nice early morning photo of the Black Mount mountains across the water Petr :clap:

Thank you Craig :) it looked much better in real view in the morning :D
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby Petr Dakota » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:13 pm

Alteknacker wrote:WHAT a day - just perfect! So you got your perfect day!

And some really great pix. I especially like the early morning ones of Rannoch Moor, the Black Mountains, and the top end of Glencoe.

It looks like the long wait was worth it :D

And the forecast (as Mark said) is for a longish high over the Highlands.... :clap:

Thank you :) Yes, I got the day with views :D and I'm glad you got yours both days a few days ago...especially because of your travelling distance and time :clap: :D Great winter conditions 8)
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby Petr Dakota » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:15 pm

dogplodder wrote:Who could complain about not reaching a summit if they got views like that? Wonderful scenery and photos! :D

Thank you :) ...not complaining at all :lol: :D
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Re: The hidden tops of Glencoe - views rather than a Munro ?

Postby Petr Dakota » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:45 pm

Some more photos:

DSC00382.JPG

DSC00381.JPG

DSC00384.JPG

DSC00391.JPG

IMAG0571.jpg

IMAG0567.jpg

DSC00437.JPG

DSC00441.JPG

20160310_103352.jpg

DSC00450.JPG

DSC00459.JPG

DSC00500.JPG

DSC00469.JPG

IMAG0601.jpg

DSC00472.JPG

DSC00504.JPG

IMAG0610.jpg

DSC00551.JPG

DSC00556.JPG

DSC00555.JPG

DSC00557.JPG
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:06 pm

Days don't come much better than that Petr, just had a clag filled weekend at Crainlarich staying at the Ochils Club hut, no views on all three days, just did a single Corbett.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Petr Dakota » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:44 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:Days don't come much better than that Petr, just had a clag filled weekend at Crainlarich staying at the Ochils Club hut, no views on all three days, just did a single Corbett.

Thank you Rod :) pity you had the weekend with a clag :( but I'm sure you will catch better days again 8)
BTW your one Corbett was still more than mine - not summit reached by the busy views in my limited time :lol: :lol:
But I got it today !!!
I did 2 Munros and 1 Corbett this morning: 3 Lawer's Mealls in 4.5 hours :crazy: :D , back home at 12:30, 3 hills bagged in sunny clear day and almost all day still ahead 8) :lol: :D ...report will follow later :wink:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby Petr Dakota » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:05 pm

Just to compare:

Bidean nam Biam 2..jpg
Bidean nam Bian from South-West ( 10.3.2016 this trip )

DSCF5757.JPG
...and Bidean nam Bian from the other "usual" side North-East ( 31.5.2014 trip )
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland