walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Scafell Alps

The Scafell Alps

Postby The English Alpinist » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:07 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Illgill Head, Lingmell, Scafell, Scafell Pike, Slight Side, Whin Rigg

Hewitts included on this walk: Lingmell, Scafell, Scafell Pike

Date walked: 15/02/2016

Time taken: 7

Distance: 23.5 km

Ascent: 1903m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

0 selfie.jpg
A great day was had.

My campaign to walk all the Wainwrights in one winter had hit the rocks (so to speak) before this walk. A 3-week interruption after my last effort (Dunnerdale) had put me almost irredeemably behind. I'd actually written it off. Car troubles, personal troubles - you don't wanna know! - meant I had not got out there. This week I had a car again, though, and decided to give things a go. There was a weather window, and the plan was basically to stay out there for 3 days and get as much done around Wasdale as possible, reducing the need to make that journey again (it's a pain in the proverbial to get to). It was still only mid-February, so my conscience was clear in the sense I'd be tackling the Scafells no less very much 'in winter', in line with my supposed goal.

A clear day was forecast, so the chance had to be seized to grab the highest point in England. It's a good job it was clear, because I lost my map near the top of Lingmell! The string of the cover had worked loose before, so it was probably only a matter of time before this happened. I spent quarter of an hour trying to find where the thing had dropped, but to no avail. Being able to see where I needed to go, and knowing the geography around here fairly well already, meant the walk was doable. The section between the Pike and Scafell would have been dodgy indeed in bad weather, and the snow was deep around there, but one set of footprints was a help in finding my way up via Foxes Tarn. Thanks, whoever that was! Nobody else was going that way, although the Pike had been busy. As a terrific bonus, I found I had time and energy to fit in Illgill head and Whin Rigg too. I had to finish the walk with a trek back on the road the full length of Wast Water in the dark, but that didn't matter. Great day. Hope springs eternal!

1 Wast Water.JPG
Austria? No, Cumbria!

2 Lingmell ascent.JPG
The Scafells seen from ascent of Lingmell.

4 Ling snowline.JPG
Higher on Lingmell.

6 Ling higher.JPG
Scafell, from close to Lingmell summit.

3 mountain.JPG
AW explains why Scafell Pike is a mountain, not a mere 'fell'.

7 Ling 1.JPG
Lingmell summit with Great Gable in the background.

8 Lingmell Cairn.JPG
So taken was I, that I lost my map hereabouts.

9 Ling 2.JPG
The other Lingmell summit, with route to Scafell Pike ahead.

11 summit shelter.JPG
The highest point in England, on 15th February 2016.

12 Pike summit.JPG
Little change in 40 years.

13 Pike me.JPG
Scafell in the background, I'm off to it next.

14 route.JPG
Route choices have to be made here!

15 To Scafell 2.JPG
Wainwright explains.

16 Foxes descent.JPG
I descend in order to acquire the Foxes tarn route.

17 Foxes asent.JPG
Getting onto Scafell via Foxes tarn.

18 heavens.JPG
A vision of heaven, or Scafell summit?

19 Scafell back.JPG
Looking back to Scafell Pike.

20 Scafell end.JPG
Heading down to Slight Side.

22 Tarn.JPG
Burnmoor Tarn and Illgill Head ahead.

23a Illgill Head.JPG
On Illgill Head.

23c sheep.JPG
Towards Whin Rigg.

24 sunset.JPG
Whin Rigg at day's end.

23d IWhin Rigg.JPG
Summit of Whin Rigg.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The English Alpinist
Mountain Walker

Munros:56   Corbetts:11
Fionas:22   Donalds:18+10
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:214   

Re: The Scafell Alps

Postby Alteknacker » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:37 pm

What a perfect day to be in this environment! Some beautiful pics of a great place.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby dav2930 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:00 pm

Magic. Definitely worth waiting for a sunny day for the Scafells in their winter glory. Well done TEA - extra points for adding on Illgill Head and Whin Rigg! Excellent photos too :clap:
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:46 pm

Spectacular conditions captured beautifully, a tremendous effort in winter conditions, thanks for sharing.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby ChrisW » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:49 am

Fantastic winter wanderings TEA, bet you couldn't believe your luck with the weather (about time too I think) as for the map...they're overrated :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland