walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lochearnhead Corbett, but should have been two!

Lochearnhead Corbett, but should have been two!

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:07 am

Route description: Creag Mac Ranaich and Meall an t-Seallaidh

Corbetts included on this walk: Creag Mac Ranaich

Date walked: 13/03/2016

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 20.2 km

Ascent: 861m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Forecast low cloud, fog and rain for most of the weekend so having done nothing on the Friday decided to try both these Corbetts if the weather Gods allowed.We were staying at the Ochil's Bunkhouse in Crainlarich so a fairly early start was had with only a short drive to Lochearnhead required.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1.JPG
The main Lochearnhead car park where there are also toilets and solar panel litter bins, well that's a new one, hope they are well used. We were greeted by a local who was wanting some breakfast
2.JPG
I had a written copy of Mountain Thyme's excellent walk report in my pocket as quite a few trip reports had suggested finding the start and following the many paths at the West end of the loch was somewhat confusing, with some bridges to go over and some below. Pictute shows us heading West along the main road out of Lochearnhead
3.JPG
After turning left at the A85 and walking past the local paper shop not the friendliest we turned right up past the church
4.JPG
Reaching the cycleway we double backed at this sign and took the Killin Kenmore direction under the bridge and followed the route climbing steadily on a good surface
5.JPG
Climbing steadily up with views over the Loch to our right, after some zig zags and with the path getting steeper we turned off the path to take the old railway track on our left
6.JPG
Old railway track now a fine level walk past a couple of gates
7.JPG
The railway bridge you do not go under but take the wooden gate on your left and go up over the bridge to reach the good track going up Glen Kendrum
8.JPG
Heading off up the Glen with the glag well down
9.JPG
Burn crossing which would usually be a piece of cake but with the snow melt over the past couple of days was slightly tricky
10.JPG
Pondering how to tackle the crossing
11.JPG
First sign of Creag Mac Ra'naich in the distance
12.JPG
Now to find away past the crags. It would all have been so different if you could see the route in front of you, so it was onwards and upwards trying to find the grassy sections, with the gradient getting steeper and steeper
13.JPG
Passing some fairly large boulders
14.JPG
Further up and now in the snow
15.JPG
Not far and after passing the Southern cairn finding a trace of a path to the Northern cairn the summit at 809m
16.JPG
Group photo at summit, no views what so ever, getting windy and cold with the detection of rain in the offing
17.JPG
After getting back to the bealach a lightly different route being taken as the steepness of the climb up was maybe not something that should have been attempted on the return, it was time to decide whether it was worth doing the other Corbett with little or no chance of the weather improving. It was decided just to head on back down the glen track and stop off for a bite to eat and return another day for Meall an t-Seallaidh. On the way done saw this burn in full flow
18.JPG
Now for the river crossing again where we found it much easier tackling it from this side
19.JPG
More than one way to cross a river
20.JPG
Maybe we all needed a pair of these for the river crossings, over the boot wellies, or maybe just black bin bags, but these did have some grip and already made ties at the top, think about it!
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Lochearnhead Corbett, but should have been two!

Postby Petr Dakota » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:08 am

Useful and well documented report Rod, nicely described route with all the details, supported by the right pics :clap: :clap: :clap:
Looks like nice walk in a better - drier day...pity the clag was there and made you the decision to do only one of the two :( but at least you can go there again in clear day as good as you got back earlier for some food - refreshment :wink:
I guess crossing the burns will be a challenge in next a few weeks / months when the snow will be melting everywhere :crazy: :lol:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Postby basscadet » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:23 pm

Aye, the climb up from the track is ridiculously steep. Well done for carrying on to the top on such a day.. 8)
I wonder what the bog over to the other one was like - probably luckily avoided if you ask me.. :lol:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:41 pm

Petr Dakota wrote:Useful and well documented report Rod, nicely described route with all the details, supported by the right pics :clap: :clap: :clap:
Looks like nice walk in a better - drier day...pity the clag was there and made you the decision to do only one of the two :( but at least you can go there again in clear day as good as you got back earlier for some food - refreshment :wink:
I guess crossing the burns will be a challenge in next a few weeks / months when the snow will be melting everywhere :crazy: :lol:

Hi Petr, at least I'll know the start next time, pick a good day as I think the views should be pretty good. The food and refreshment went down very well, a cracking wee bunkhouse for £9.00 a night, cannot be bad.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:46 pm

basscadet wrote:Aye, the climb up from the track is ridiculously steep. Well done for carrying on to the top on such a day.. 8)
I wonder what the bog over to the other one was like - probably luckily avoided if you ask me.. :lol:

Your spot on basscadet checking the contours on the other one it did not take long to reach a decision, as it was going to be over some rough looking stuff and a return to the bealach as I don't think coming off the South East shoulder would have been on as we would not have been able to cross the river further down.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Jeremiah Johnson » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:57 pm

Good report Rod and cracking photos! I imagine soon the Pocket Wellies will be at the bottom of every walkers rucksack - an essential piece of kit!! :D :clap: :clap: :D
Jeremiah Johnson
Mountain Walker

Munros:156   Corbetts:50
Fionas:21   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:5   

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:06 am

Jeremiah Johnson wrote:Good report Rod and cracking photos! I imagine soon the Pocket Wellies will be at the bottom of every walkers rucksack - an essential piece of kit!! :D :clap: :clap: :D

:lol: :lol: I believe the Green Welly place may have sold out by now :lol: :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby basscadet » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:29 am

The Rodmiester wrote:
Your spot on basscadet checking the contours on the other one it did not take long to reach a decision, as it was going to be over some rough looking stuff and a return to the bealach as I don't think coming off the South East shoulder would have been on as we would not have been able to cross the river further down.

You were very very right.. I went up that way - and regretted it somewhat, not because of the river, but terrain was knee deep moss that sapped the soul :crazy:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:32 am

basscadet wrote:
The Rodmiester wrote:

You were very very right.. I went up that way - and regretted it somewhat, not because of the river, but terrain was knee deep moss that sapped the soul :crazy:

Thanks for that basscadet that makes me feel a whole lot better that the right decision was made :lol: :lol: :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Gordie12 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:22 pm

Nice timing Rod, I'm thinking about these two for my 2016 debut. Might just wait till there is less snow melt and a decent dry spell.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:33 pm

Gordie12 wrote:Nice timing Rod, I'm thinking about these two for my 2016 debut. Might just wait till there is less snow melt and a decent dry spell.

Might just be a good idea Gordie, that second one could be quite a battle with the bog, give me a shout if you want company, I'm happy to do the first one again, as I got no views from the summit and the start is a bit confusing.
The Rodmiester
Walker

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland