walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Like a summers day on the Far Eastern Fells.

Like a summers day on the Far Eastern Fells.

Postby mamoset » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:48 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Angletarn Pikes, Beda Fell, Rest Dodd, The Nab

Hewitts included on this walk: Rest Dodd

Date walked: 14/03/2016

Time taken: 4.25

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 750m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

With the fine weather continuing, i headed off to Howtown to climb The Nab and then see where the rest of the walk took me :lol: It was a lovely crisp morning as i left the car and headed past Martindale into Howe Grain.
IMG_8368.JPG
Looking promising.
IMG_8372.JPG
The Nab looms large.
I followed the road until a path appeared to leave it ( according to the map). It said "Private, no through road". A quick look around, saw no one, so took the path anyway to reach the path that ascends The Nab. :?
IMG_8374.JPG
Resident Red Deer.
Once on the track up, it's just a steady plod until you first reach Nab End.
IMG_8382.JPG
Heck Crag & Heck Cove from ascent.
IMG_8384.JPG
Looking back.
Helvellyn range finally came into view. I was surprised at the amount of snow still on it :shock:
IMG_8387.JPG
St. Sunday Crag to Helvellyn peeping over Beda Fell.
With a fair sweat on i reached the summit in good time.
IMG_8390.JPG
The Nab.
A light breeze started, which was most welcome, as i departed, making for the next top, Rest Dodd.
IMG_8391.JPG
Rampsgill Head to Rest Dodd.
The ground across the Deer Forest wasn't as bad as i'd remembered it. Another couple of herds of deer were feeding up here, though they quickly disappeared when they saw me. :shock: A short steep climb from the gate, brings you to the summit of Rest Dodd.
IMG_8399.JPG
Rest Dodd.
IMG_8401.JPG
Red Screes & Coniston Fells.
IMG_8410.JPG
High Street, Hayeswater & Gray Crag.
Decided to give Brock Crags a miss, and made for Angle Tarn, a nice picturesque place for lunch.
IMG_8419.JPG
Angle Tarn.
IMG_8424.JPG
Helvellyn range beyond Angle Tarn.
IMG_8431.JPG
Back to Rest Dodd.
After getting to the top of the higher of the Angletarn Pikes, i forgot to take a photo of the cairn :lol: :roll: which is no big deal really :lol:
IMG_8435.JPG
Glenridding Dodd & Place Fell.
IMG_8444.JPG
Brothers Water to Helvellyn.
IMG_8446.JPG
St. Sunday to Blencathra.
IMG_8457.JPG
Helvellyn & Catstye Cam.
It's a 3km walk to get to Beda Head, so i had a nice amble along in the sun 8)
IMG_8459.JPG
Beda Fell.
IMG_8460.JPG
The Nab from Beda Fell.
Forunately, the ground was still quite hard, so it made for quick and easy walking and i was soon on Beda Head, the high point of Beda Fell.
IMG_8483.JPG
Beda Head.
All that remained was to head back, happy to have got another sunny winter walk in 8) :clap: :lol:
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Re: Like a summers day on the Far Eastern Fells.

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:14 am

Looks a damn sight better than a Monday at work :lol: Well done on sneaking up the Nab via the direct route, I'm led to believe the land owners can be less that welcoming in case you scare one of there precious creatures :roll:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby yellowbelly » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:15 pm

I don't agree with going up, or down The Nab using this direct route. Why can't you respect the landowner's request for walkers not to use this route?
yellowbelly
Wanderer

Munros:59   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:125
Wainwrights:214   

Postby mamoset » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:41 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote:Looks a damn sight better than a Monday at work :lol: Well done on sneaking up the Nab via the direct route, I'm led to believe the land owners can be less that welcoming in case you scare one of there precious creatures :roll:

You're right there jk, so much better. And i never frightened any poor creatures :lol:
yellowbelly wrote:I don't agree with going up, or down The Nab using this direct route. Why can't you respect the landowner's request for walkers not to use this route?

Had the map been a bit clearer, i wouldn't have used this route, and as the option was using 250m of private land or going back to the beginning, well you can see which route i used so you climb on down off your high horse any time you feel like it.
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Postby yellowbelly » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:39 pm

There are several information boards put up by the Dalemain Estate advising you which route walkers should use to access The Nab. You must have passed one.
I am not on a "high horse", I'm simply advising future walkers to avoid your route for the good of walker/landowner relationships.
yellowbelly
Wanderer

Munros:59   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:125

Postby mamoset » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:57 pm

yellowbelly wrote:There are several information boards put up by the Dalemain Estate advising you which route walkers should use to access The Nab. You must have passed one.
I am not on a "high horse", I'm simply advising future walkers to avoid your route for the good of walker/landowner relationships.

From where i parked to where i left the road the only advisory sign i saw was this :-
IMG_8373.JPG
I guess i should be more watchful.
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:29 pm

It looks like access arrangements have been improved greatly according to this page.

http://www.dalemain.com/pages/estate/the-nab.php
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby ChrisW » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:29 am

Great stuff Mamoset, the weather over there is ridiculous :crazy: really lovely shots of the hills throughout, the ones with Helvellyn and it's dusting of snow really add something too. What a beautiful day for a wander :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby mamoset » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:13 pm

ChrisW wrote:Great stuff Mamoset, the weather over there is ridiculous :crazy: really lovely shots of the hills throughout, the ones with Helvellyn and it's dusting of snow really add something too. What a beautiful day for a wander :clap:

Thanks Chris, it really is quite summery over the west at the moment, and long may it continue :lol:
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Postby trailmasher » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:19 pm

A good route over some good hills marmoset with decent weather to boot :clap: BTW, I wish that I had a pound for everyone who has used that access to gain the top of The Nab :wink: and BTW again, I haven't but would if needs be 8)
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179

Postby dav2930 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:11 pm

That way up The Nab makes for such an obvious and elegant circuit that it seems a crime for walkers to be denied it. Might just try it sometime :wink:
Thanks for sharing mamoset :clap:
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby mamoset » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:37 pm

dav2930 wrote:That way up The Nab makes for such an obvious and elegant circuit that it seems a crime for walkers to be denied it. Might just try it sometime :wink:
Thanks for sharing mamoset :clap:

You're welcome dav, beauty is you can go numerous ways once you're on Rest Dodd :D
mamoset
Mountain Walker

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland