walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Full frontal on Ben More

Full frontal on Ben More

Postby U059361 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:22 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben More

Date walked: 14/03/2016

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 5.5 km

Ascent: 1000m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It was such a beautiful day I had to go for a walk and one I hadn't done before. I'd been up Ben More but never straight up. Driving from Edinburgh I didn't have a lot of time, so this seemed like the best option. Once I'd got the car parked off the road beside the sign for the hill, I quickly got ready and set off. Once over the style and on to the track up the hillside it is fairly easy going.
ImageLoch Dochart by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageCruach Ardain and cairn by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
On going through the gate, there was a worn path with the remnants of two cairns marking it out. I added a few more boulders. Do people knock these down or is it the weather?
Now it is straight up. It becomes wet and the path more difficult to follow, so there are boggy bits to get over but with decent boots not an issue, just a bit more energy. Glad I had dubbined mine. Stopped at a line going across the hill. Drink and photos. I know I'll get better ones at the top, but just in case.
Not much to see up the way, but know I've a lot to do. Hot work in the sun, hat on for my bald head, just trying my best to stay cool. 8)
The going is a bit better and the path is clearer now because of it, nobody wandering about to avoid the water. Looking up Cuidhe Chrom is visible, but the top is a bit further back than that.It now feels like you are going backwards as more becomes visible the higher you go. Got to the remains of a dyke and another break. Still sunny and hardly any wind. Amazing. :D
Now there is a well worn path and it lasts all the way to the top. A typical munro path as it is covered in scree. Packed snow lies in the sheltered bits but they can be avoided till beyond Cuidhe Chrom where it is the path. So I walked above it and took a short cut to the top to avoid a large snow bank. Still put my spikes on before the top. Now it was exposed the wind appeared and I had to put a jacket and gloves to keep warm. Got to the top through foot deep snow to one of my favourite views.
ImageTop with Stob Binnein by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageMunro panorama by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageLooking up Glen Dochart by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
After taking photos, dropped into a cleft just off the top to have my lunch out of the wind. Still cold, but the sun helped a bit. Couldn't sit down though as it was full of snow but still OK.
Trudged through the snow back over to the cairn and then made my way back down. Spikes off once clear of the snow. Back down to the bottom of the dyke, I took my coat off and put my gloves away.
ImageRoute to the top, path beside the dyke by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
With all the effort to get up, my legs were getting sore going back down. As it is unrelenting all the way back, I was really feeling it by the time I got back to the track and it felt like I was walking funny to try and ease the pain.
ImageThe climb from the car park by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
Really glad to get back to the car and to sit down. What a day though, perfect 8)
Did some stretches before I drove back to Stirling to ease my legs.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

U059361
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:38
Fionas:20   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:40   Hewitts:5
Islands:32

Re: Full frontal on Ben More

Postby rockhopper » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:33 pm

nice day for it :thumbup: efficient if tiring way to ascend - 29yrs almost to the day since we went up this way - hasn't changed much :wink: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Chris Mac » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:28 pm

Brilliant photos and a nice report, i'm dying to get up Ben More and Stob Binnein, definitely going to do so soon after seeing the view you had... :clap:
Chris Mac

Munros:60   Corbetts:36
Fionas:25   Donalds:28+13
Sub 2000:74   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:21   

Postby Jaxter » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:13 am

I think you're probably the only person to have described that ascent as "fairly easy going" :lol:

Cracking views though - definitely worth the effort :D
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland