walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carn Liath and Stob Poite Coire Ardair

Carn Liath and Stob Poite Coire Ardair

Postby kevsbald » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:05 pm

Route description: Creag Meagaidh circuit

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Liath (Creag Meagaidh), Stob Poite Coire Àrdair

Date walked: 12/03/2009

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So, after my Drumochter sojourn the day before, the forecast was for much better conditions. Thankfully, that was good news because I planned to go for something a little more scenic on the Tuesday - Carn Liath and Stob Coire Poite Ardair and perhaps Creag Meagaidh, if I had enough time. After a great cooked breakfast at 'The Rumblie' in Laggan Bridge, I motored along to the Creag Meagaidh Nature Reserve and parked up. Jamie Andrew and some kids were also setting off though they were only heading up to look at the cliffs. Nice chap. I set off on the superb path and it wasn't long before I had reached quite far into the corrie and could vaguely make out the cliffs though there was quite a bit of cloud. I began my ascent up on to Na Cnapnachan (sp?) but had obviously missed the 'prescribed' route up as I ascended above it on to the shoulder of Carn Liath. The view across to Sron a Choire was fabulous.
IMG_2710.JPG
Sron a Choire
I then pushed on up on towards Carn Liath and atypically, I reached the huge cairn with little fuss.
IMG_2713.JPG
Carn Liath cairn - no daft photo of me this time
The weather seemed like it was improving - should I go on to Stob PCA? I began piling over the broad expanse of hills (Meall an t-Snaim) and made good progress. Stob PCA was up ahead and slightly covered in cloud but the route was clear.
IMG_2718.JPG
Looking over to Stob Poite Coire Ardair
The views across the cliffs of Coire Ardair were amazing but they'd get better.
IMG_2723.JPG
Just past the 2nd cairn on Stob PCA
After I had touched the cairn, I battered on to the Window but didn't think I had enough time to go for Creag Meagaidh itself. Reluctantly, I began to descend down the snow, conscious of any unstable snow-pack. However, it was firm and I pelted down towards the lochan. Looking back, I got a great photo of a plane flying 'through the window'.
IMG_2727.JPG
Window plane
Once at the lochan, the views up to the cliffs were astounding and i took hunners o photaes.
IMG_2729.JPG
The cliffs of Coire Ardair - awesome
After, packing my gear away, I enjoyed the long walk back along the path, looking back every so often to catch those superb views.
IMG_2732.JPG
Superb
It was a fantastic Winter day out with the sun shining brightly - a wee Red Cuillin was in the fridge back at the B&B - life is sweet!
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Re: Carn Liath and Stob Poite Coire Ardair

Postby Alan S » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:29 am

good report and pics looks like you had a good couple of days there
what would i have to do to get pictures like that ? your summit pic from the first report is more like the ones im used to.
not much chance of missing the cairn on carn liath its huge.
glad you decided to go for pca pictures are stunning especially the last 3

alan
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby Paul Webster » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:34 am

Some really fantastic pics there - Coire Ardair is such a stunner. Much better than the clag I saw - I think that's one I really must go back to. We found a water bottle on the descent with the name 'David Henry' on it. If a David Henry is reading this - then sorry, it was years ago now - your water bottle got great use but eventually wore out.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby kevsbald » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:02 am

Hi Alan,

the pics speak for themselves but I am no expert - very lucky I think. I use a Canon Powershot A85 - only 4 Mb resolution - but it does take a good wee photo. The conditions were perfect and as Paul said, it's a tremendous looking set of crags.

One of the more memorable days on the hill.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Postby Alan S » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:29 pm

quote. I use a Canon Powershot A85 - only 4 Mb resolution - but it does take a good wee photo.

sorry mate but to me that makes you an expert :D
i know mines is a casio thats about as far as it goes
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby kevsbald » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:24 pm

Seriously, I think you can pick up a Canon Powershot for about £40 these days.
Ye just press zoom and shoot. No expertise needed. I think Meagaidh is very difficult not to get good shots, it's just so awesome to look at.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Postby Freewheelin » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:05 am

fantastic pix - puts a grin on your face for a couple of weeks when you get conditions like that - sooo jealous - only had one day of decent weather on the hills this year so far. Hope the deep snow lasts for a bit yet!
:( :(
Freewheelin

Munros:184   Corbetts:32
Fionas:7   Donalds:21

Postby yokehead » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:34 pm

2 stunning reports and photos, seems like me you caught the best of the snow before the thaw set in :(
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Postby kevsbald » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:51 am

Sorry to say guys but there ain't much snow up there now - by Thursday, the hills at Drumochter were shedding it quicker than Fern Britton sheds weight.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Postby mattmunro » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:05 pm

Stunning pics...
I did the Creag Meagaidh group in June this year in some pretty dire conditions. The photos are mostly mist with the odd hillside poking out!
After seeing these shots, think I'll be returning soon, it really deserves good weather this one...

cheers
mattmunro
Mountaineer

Munros:115   Corbetts:47
Fionas:67   Donalds:70
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:297
Wainwrights:133   Islands:3

Postby kevsbald » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:15 pm

It was one of those days, which got better and better. It truly is a magnificent area in Winter. I'll be going back up next March and Meagaidh is one I'll do in hopefully similar conditions. Cheers
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Postby davetherave » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:00 pm

Kev
Fab report with braw pics. Planning this circuit the morrow. was going to do it clockwise like yourself, but the weather looks better in the afternoon so i may decide on anti clockwise. i will make my mind up tomorrow.

Really looked like a super day you got. :D
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Postby Scotjamie » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:14 pm

superb Kev.........have not been out for some months but that brings on that long lost lusting in the legs
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby malky_c » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:02 am

Not seen this before - I don't think I'd even discovered this site when you posted it. Well bumped though - that looks like a truly stunning day! Here's hoping for a couple like that this winter 8)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland