walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sunny Ben Chonzie

Sunny Ben Chonzie

Postby harkinchristopher » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:45 pm

Route description: Ben Chonzie via Glen Lednock

Munros included on this walk: Ben Chonzie

Date walked: 19/03/2016

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 12.5 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After a failed attempt to climb this one earlier in the year (missed the correct cut-off from the path and ended up on the wrong hill with snow setting in) I was keen to get this one bagged as my first munro of the year.

Setting off from the (busy) car park around 10.30am with blue skies, it looked like we were set for a cracking day on the

I was surprised at how easy a climb this was - no real pain on the legs the whole way up.

As we got nearer the summit there was some snow patches but nothing to cause any great difficulty.
thumb_IMG_3687_1024.jpg
Snow towards the summit.

Reaching the summit the skies stayed blue, full of sunshine and the surrounding snowy mountains provided an epic backdrop. Surprisingly mild up here and we sat quite comfortably enjoying lunch at the large summit shelter.
thumb_IMG_3682_1024.jpg
Summit

I expected this to be one of the less exciting munros but the weather and views made it a thoroughly enjoyable day out and I was happy to bag munro number 20!

thumb_IMG_3686_1024.jpg
Descent
harkinchristopher
Mountaineer

Munros:44   Corbetts:2
Grahams:4   
Sub 2000:2   
Wainwrights:1   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland