walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Etive Beag In Winter

Etive Beag In Winter

Postby craigthe5th » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:32 am

Route description: Buachaille Etive Beag

Munros included on this walk: Stob Coire Raineach (Buachaille Etive Beag), Stob Dubh (Buachaille Etive Beag)

Date walked: 13/03/2016

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 900m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Well I wanted to gain experience bagging in the winter. Definitely got some on this trip. We took a different route than the one stated on walkhighlands and attacked the ridge from the other side. We had a lovely walk following the river before heading up the ridge.

The getting up the ridge itself was the hardest part of the day. Deep sections of snow meant on occasion my leg would disappear! Either way we managed to get ourselves up the top for some respite before hitting the days peaks.

The first summit we headed for was Stob Coire Raineach. There wasn't overly much snow here so an easier walk up with some slight scrambling but it wasn't long before I got my 12th Munro. As we were quite exposed our view was quickly enjoyed. On to Stob Dubh.

A huge difference in terrain here from our first summit. Plenty snow here but some tracks were well trodden making it not as difficult as it could have been. There was plenty people up the hill so pleasantries were often exchanged and before we knew it I had made it to my 13th Munro! The cloud was on our side as the views down to Loch Etive. Again due to exposure and to avoid any chill setting in we decided to have lunch at sea level.

I usually struggle coming down Munros as my knees often take a dislike to me. Today was a very different story. We came across a couple in their mid 50's who, rather than the traditional walk decided to side on their back sides and 'sledge' down the hill. This looks great fun so we donned the waterproofs on and sat down, we were at the bottom in around 30 minutes! Great fun was had!!

On reflection I have learned a it more about climbing in the winter. I know I need to build my collection of equipment as I go as a few extras would have helped a lot. Roll on summer with sunny days up the hills!

ImageStob Dubh summit looking down Loch Etive
craigthe5th
Munro compleatist

Munros:85   Corbetts:5
Sub 2000:4   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland