walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Beinn Alligin Summit camp under a Dancing Aurora Borealis

A Beinn Alligin Summit camp under a Dancing Aurora Borealis

Postby wilkiemurray » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:56 am

Route description: Beinn Alligin

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr Mòr (Beinn Alligin), Tom na Gruagaich (Beinn Alligin)

Date walked: 26/03/2016

71 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Beinn Alligin summit camp under a dancing Aurora

Film of Adventure...

The settled weather continued for yet another weekend (couldn’t believe it!) so I decided for another wild camp. Up until I made the decision to camp in Torridon, I hadn’t even considered Beinn Alligin as a location, however I did want to take a photo of the Horns of Alligin and Beinn Dearg from the summit of Sgurr Mor. So Beinn Alligin it was on a whim….

The weather was superb and I set off in blazing sunshine from the car park with my light bag on;) The snow seemed fairly stripped from the mountain but I couldn’t see the route between the two Munro’s so I packed axe and crampons just in case (been caught out before!). This made the pack even lighter (sarcasm…) . Given the size and weight of the pack I decided against The Horns and headed up the Coire nan Laogh route, however there was a fair bit of ascent before reaching the Corrie! Psychologically I was thinking it was an easy dander until the Corrie then a steep pull up. In reality there’s a rather steep walk in to get to the corrie an I STRUGGLED! The sweat was pouring off me and the blazing sun was beating down, I had no energy and seriously considered if I was going to be able to do this! Maybe try for the first Munro and camp there, I thought as I slowly made my way up. The shade in the Coire nan Laogh was welcome and after a drink and a bite eat I started to feel better. A water stop near the top of the Coire made my bag even lighter – I was so delighted at this (sarcasm) but at least I didn’t have to hunt for H20 when I finally got my camp set up…….

A little further and I was soon approaching the first Munro – Tom na Gruagaich. The views were absolutely stupendous. I took an airy perch on the trig and sat with eyes wide open at the splendour of our wee country….we are so lucky!! The Torridonian Mountains to my east and the sea board and Islands at my back- an amazing view point.

Trig Views..
ImageDrone shot of Torridon by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

Liathach...
ImageLiathach by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

The sun was starting to drop towards the Atlantic and the Outer Hebrides so I made the decision to crack on the Sgurr Mor. The small light weight pack made my descent of Tom na Gruagaich a little interesting and care was required but I was soon heading uphill again this time with numerous breaks (just wanted to look at the views – honest – the pack was so light!). A quick gander at The Black Cleft and I was nearly there.

With sunset approaching I didn’t have time to mess around so set straight to getting the tent up then some photos……

Some sunset snaps....

ImageHORNS of ALLIGIN by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

ImageDusk over the Red Cuilin by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

ImageLiathach red dusk by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

After playing with the camera I set about using my new stove (was very nice and efficient) and had a cracking tea. The horizon was red and I sat watching the fishing boat lights twinkle on the Inner Sound and out to The Minch, not a bad way to let my dinner digest!

Imageminch sunset hebridies by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

Imagehebrides by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

As you may know I like playing with my camera settings with some photos of the stars so I decided to have a lye down and listen to music waiting for dusk to pass… I was knackered and nearly didn’t get back up to take photos, but I am so glad I did awaken!!!

For years I’ve dreamt of being on a wild camp when the Aurora comes to play, and at the tail end of 2014 I got the northern lights on a wild camp in Glencoe. However pleasing it was , it wasn’t a strong show (only a faint glow visible to the naked eye) and some cloud spoiled the event (plus me having a frozen lens didn’t help with the photos…). With the advent of social media catching the lights has become a little easier and only a few weeks ago I was treated to the best display I have seen above Perth where the lights were dancing and the lights were performing to their full specification – pillars, shafts of light etc etc

In my tent on the top of Beinn Alligin I didn’t have a signal to allow alerts to come through so was unawares until I stepped outside… I saw the glow – it was faint – just as it had been in Glencoe – but it still had me rushing around getting the tripod set up, these shows don’t last long sometimes…… 4 hours later I was still outside standing and gawping…… The faint glow I saw as I emerged from the tent soon brightened and for about an hour the Northern lights were dancing above Gairloch and clearly visible to the naked eye. I was in awe, when I wasn’t trying to capture it on the camera I was just standing and staring… an amazing spectacle …. I wanted to stay up all night but I was exhausted and eventually hit the hay, with the alarm set for getting up before sunrise for some more photos (I wasn’t sure if I had any memory left on the card after the Aurora shots ;)

some aurora shots...

ImageWild Camp Northern Lights by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

ImageAurora Borealis in Scotland by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

Imageauroa selfyand scarp (1 of 1) by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

ImageAurora double wave by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

I slept well, which is unusual for a camp but was soon up brewing the coffee and waiting for the sun to rise . I had thought I may have got an inversion but the cloud hadn’t moved fa enough west. I could see fog to the east… never mind a few weeks later and I was treated to the inversion of inversions on Ben Lui;)

As with the sunset, the sunrise was spectacular….. It rose over Beinn Eighe and filled the glen with shafts of light… To the West the shadow of Ben Alligin was cast across the Inner Sound, pointing out towards Clisham….. More photos and I had to start thinking about heading home, it is a long drive!!

Sunrise shots...

Imagesunrise torridon by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

ImageAlligin at first light by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

After numerous photographs I once again saddled the small light weight pack and made a second ascent of Tom Na Gruagaich….. The blues skies and crystal clear clarity were not helping my progress… every five meters was a photo stop!!

ImageLoch Torridon by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

The steepness of the descent started to make sense of why I had lacked energy and tiredness the day before!

I eventually made the car and I am glad I had such a light back pack as the memories I collected were a full load! As superb trip to a superb mountain with superb entertainment laid on by Aurora Borealis…

ImageIce Axe at Dawn by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr
wilkiemurray

Re: A Beinn Alligin Summit camp under a Dancing Aurora Borea

Postby mamoset » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:02 am

Stunning pics, you certainly picked the right night for this one, well done :clap: :D
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Postby Alteknacker » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:24 pm

Magical - beyond all words! :shock:

You've surpassed even your very high standards with this one - this is my Nr 1 vid so far! Well done :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: It answers perfectly the oft asked question: why do you do it?
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby BobMcBob » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:05 pm

Amazing! Great photos and what a night to choose! :clap: :clap:
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby dooterbang » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:08 pm

So that's what the views from the summit look like...I seen bugger all!!

What a night, it does indeed live long in the memory and clear the mind.

Loved the 360deg drone summit shots - fantastic! Gives it a whole new perspective.

Was this last night? It says you walked this today?!

simply stunning :clap:

Cheers :)
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby Guinessman » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:40 pm

Superb pics, will watch the youtube vid later on ,on the big telly.
Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Postby Challum » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:03 pm

Superb photos, thanks for posting.
Challum

Postby jac the lassie » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:20 pm

What a stunning night!
jac the lassie
Hill Bagger

Munros:73   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:24   

Postby Jaxter » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:35 pm

This is amazing!! So cool seeing those shots from the air. Worth every ounce of that light pack I'm sure :lol:

You've got balls sitting on that cairn :shock: :crazy:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby litljortindan » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:16 pm

I'm sure that's a trip you won't forget in a hurry.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby 2manyYorkies » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:55 pm

Love that "Dusk over the Red Cuillin" stunning. Well the whole thing is!
2manyYorkies
Mountain Walker

Munros:187   Corbetts:22
Hewitts:76
Wainwrights:113   

Postby gammy leg walker » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:23 pm

Truly stunning
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby L-Hiking » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:33 pm

Awesome lost for words Thanks for sharing
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Postby jupe1407 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:38 pm

That's a ridiculously good vid and set of images. Superbly well played :D :clap: :clap:
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby ancancha » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:56 pm

Outstanding :!:
The drone shots and the aurora ( not much wonder you were gawping for ages ) are amazing 8)
Very professional :clap:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

71 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland