walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Inversion from Meall Glas

Inversion from Meall Glas

Postby seamus0 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:56 pm

Route description: Meall Glas and Sgiath Chuil from Glen Dochart

Munros included on this walk: Meall Glas

Date walked: 19/03/2016

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 12.5 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After a tremendous day on the day before climbing Meall Garbh with a cloud inversion (see report http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=60904&p=312468#p312468) the weather forecast was something of the same, with high pressure being dominant over Scotland. My plan was to redo Meall Glas from Glen Dochart after a failed attempt the month before where I was battered with gale force winds, blizzards, and snow traps where I constantly fell into, it wasn't to be my day then! However this day the conditions were perfect for a hill walk. I couldn't believe my luck....2 good days in a row in Scotland!

I parked up at the entrance to Auchessan farm (448275) early in the morning. Unlike the day before which started out foggy, I could see blue sky, and nice calm conditions. I kept my map in my pack, no need for it today, given I walked the same route a month ago. Although that time it was a blizzard, this time I could see my route clearly. I crossed over the bridge following the track up to the farm houses and took a left at the last farmhouse, everything was nice and clearly signposted. Its always a pleasure to have understanding farmers. signs help us on the right path, and stop us from straying to areas the farmer wouldn't want you to go.
Meall Glas-1.JPG
Bridge crossing to farm at start

Meall Glas-2.JPG
Track to right of river and left of wood

The track follows the river and comes to a Y-Junction. It looked like a new road had been built to the left for a new hydro scheme. I took the right path which followed to the right of the river keeping to the left of the wood. There were quite a few nice waterfalls here which I took a mental note of to return to with my camera gear some day.

After 1/2 hr or so the track came to a stile and the route opened up into a sea of heather. I decided to continue North and crossed the river at this stage. As I climbed I could see the weather was slowly changing into another cloud inversion. I couldn't believe my luck ! Two cloud inversions in two days....a bit like buses :-)
Meall Glas-3.JPG
Views of Ben more with inversion starting

Meall Glas-4.JPG
Inversion progressing

The path eventually faded away and it became a trudge through the peat bog. I now understood how I found it so hard going the previous month as the peat bogs where snowed up I was falling into them knee and waste deep! It wasn't easy going in the blizzard! However today was a different day. Spring conditions and a joy to be on the hill!

With no time pressures I took a leisurely pace, have stops every now and then watching the inversion materialise around Ben More. Then I heard the recognisable sound of the mountain rescue helicopter whirring past. It flew off to Ben More and was circling around it. I hoped there wasn't trouble as I knew another group that had gone there to climb it...but given conditions were perfect it seemed unlikely. I managed to get a shot of the helicopter flying over the Crianlarich hills, with the inversion building up.
Meall Glas-5.JPG
Mountain rescue helicopter around Ben More (the dot in the middle!)

Meall Glas-6.JPG
Helicopter above the inversion

Meall Glas-7.JPG
Stunning inversion around Ben More

As I continued climbing the cloud around Meall Glas slowly dissipated and I could see some snow still clinging on to the steeper sides near the top. It was more craggy than what I was expecting. There was also the Allt Glas river to negotiate. If this was in spate it could be a tricky river to cross. However today there was no such difficulties. I stayed off the unstable snow near the top and climbed around the crags. I was certainly glad I wasn't doing this in a blizzard as the crags were steep enough to cause yourself injury if you took the wrong route and slipped off.

I got to the top in about 3.5hrs with my leisurely pace. The top was calm and the views were stunning. Here's some of the pics I took:
Meall Glas-8.JPG
Cairn in distance

Meall Glas-9.JPG
Ben Challum and Ben Lui in distance

Meall Glas-10.JPG
Ben More

Meall Glas-14.JPG
Selfie

Meall Glas-12.JPG
Crianlarich Hills

Meall Glas-13.JPG
Ben Challum

It was one of those days where I had no other plans but to climb the hill and enjoy the weather, so spent an hour up there just chilling out it was so nice! I could see walkers on top of Sgiath Chuil and heading over...at that point I decided to pooter on down again the same way at a leisurely pace.
Meall Glas-15.JPG
Crags near the top

Meall Glas-16.JPG
Allt Glas still snowed up

Meall Glas-17.JPG
Snow melting slowly

Meall Glas-18.JPG
View of Meall Glas walking back down

I got back in time to hit the pub and watch the 5pm kickoff Ireland beating Scotland (sorry)....which made a perfect ending to an enjoyable day out. I later found out the police were searching for a guy who had abandoned his car at the foot of Ben More a few days previous and had got the mountain rescue involved....makes you think!
seamus0
Munro compleatist

Munros:138   Corbetts:2

Re: Inversion from Meall Glas

Postby litljortindan » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:20 pm

Great views and weather.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:156   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland