walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An Teallach scortcher

An Teallach scortcher

Postby Baggerbeck » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:39 pm

Munros included on this walk: Bidein a' Ghlas Thuill (An Teallach), Sgùrr Fiona (An Teallach)

Date walked: 21/06/1997

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After a night of whisky and Guinness we arose from our tents to a glorious summer morning :thumbup: . After Stevie spewed all over the camp site he finally gathered his gear and we headed up the glorious An Teallach. Rab and I soon found our feet and despite the relentless trudge for the first few hours we got to the first top in good spirits. Stevie however was dying and never spoke a word for hours. When we reached the first top we all lay on a flat grassy outcrop which looked over the full expanse of An Teallach. It was here after a tin of peaches that Stevie sobered up and began to feel human again.
walkhighlans 036.JPG
Sobering up on An Teallach, Rab, Stevie and me

I remember sitting here and looking at the ridge thinking 'Oh dear, this looks serious...many scary pinnacles.' As we approached the main ridge it became much easier than I had first thought. A much easier option was available to the right if the scrambling became too severe. The fact that it was a boiling hot day also meant that the rock was in great condition for scrambling. The views to the west looked towards the Hebrides, there wasn't a cloud in the sky, it was a very special day to be out in the hills, especially an iconic mountain such as this. A trickier section lay right at the end (down climb) required a bit more concentration but this too was ok. Would be a different kettle of fish if wet or icy I'd imagine.
walkhighlans 037.JPG
Looking across to 'Lord Berkeley's seat'

We arrived back at the car just a the weather closed in. :wave: The glorious summer day had all but gone.
Baggerbeck
Munro compleatist

Munros:260   Corbetts:14
Fionas:5   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:2   

Re: An Teallach scortcher

Postby Alteknacker » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:38 pm

Those were the days...!!! :D
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland