walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stuc a' Chroin from Callander side

Stuc a' Chroin from Callander side

Postby David Lyall » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:18 pm

Munros included on this walk: Stùc a' Chròin

Date walked: 13/03/2010

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 975m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

3rd time lucky I had twice attempted this hill with other groups but for different reasons never quite made it to the summit. First time was from Ben Each 2nd time was after climbing Ben Vorlich, this time it was from the Callander side.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

From the Main street in Callander take the road marked Braklinn Falls and follow the single track road for 4-5 K until you can go no further you should be at the gates to Braeleng Farm.
Stuc a' Chroin 001.jpg
Start of walk at Braeleny
A party of six from the Lang Craigs set of through the farm following the snow covered track until it reaches Keltie water,
Stuc a' Chroin 042.jpg
Keltie water on our return
two of our party did not like the look of the crossing and went for an alternate walk, the rest managed to cross and keep dry , it was a different story on the way back when the water was considerably higher due to snow melt and our stepping stones were gone. We followed the track to what looks like a bothy at Arivurichardich, rear of this we managed to find the path leading us gently up on to the shoulder of Meall Odhar and onwards to Stuc a’ chroin.
Stuc a' Chroin 023.jpg
Ian and Gary nr the top
It was a good day with clear views, under foot was a bit slippy with the snow being a bit soft, the wind picked up when we were on the top which meant we did not stay long, it was good to get to the top at last and look over towards Ben Vorlich and Ben Each.
Stuc a' Chroin 028.jpg
Myself Gary and Aln at the top, Ben Vorlich behind
David Lyall
Munro compleatist

Munros:200   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   

Re: Stuc a' Chroin from Callander side

Postby Milesy » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:04 pm

Good stuff! I like to walk the original SMC route starting from Bracklin Falls. The ford was never replaced though so crossing the river is pretty hard but its a enjoyable wee extra to the walk I think :)
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby Nicla » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:08 pm

I did this same walk on Wednesday there, really enjoyed it, except from the boots and socks off wade through the water! ooh that was refreshing. Got about 5 minutes clear view at the top before the cloud came over.
Nicla

Munros:83   Corbetts:2
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby monty » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:11 am

Nice report David.
I done this one from this side in november 2008. I had intended to do this one from Ben Vorlich a couple of years before but the weather was to bad at the top of Ben Vorlich.

I actually opened the gate and drove up to the farm :lol: :lol: I parked on the grass near the farm and the farmer came out to see what I was doing. I don't think he was too happy but he didn't say much. (this was my fourth munro or thereabouts and I realise now I should not have driven up to the farm) :shock:

There was no snow around and the burn was easy to cross without getting wet. I also had cold weather trousers on and when I got to the top it was about 10 degrees and I was cooking :lol: :lol: :lol:

It looks quite steep in the snow 8)
Attachments
IMAGE_056 stuc a chroin.jpg
Summit of Stuc a Chhroin November 2008
monty

Postby mountain coward » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:56 am

Yeah it does look steep in that photo of you guys plodding up near the top - where you say 'a nice gentle slope'...

If I'm going to have to wade a river, I don't really mind on the way back from a walk - wouldn't fancy it on the way out though... from the photo, I can't see how you managed to get across that torrent dryshod?!
mountain coward

Postby Milesy » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:46 am

monty wrote:I actually opened the gate and drove up to the farm

Last summer I had just came off Ben Lui and some neds had driven their "souped up" car right up the farmers track to the end of the road to the foot of the hill! I dont know where they thought they were going - maybe they thought they had took the Oban road :lol: :shock: :lol:
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby monty » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:09 pm

It wisnae me :shock: Honest :lol: :lol:
monty

Postby David Lyall » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:42 pm

Thanks for all the comments :D
David Lyall
Munro compleatist

Munros:200   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   

Postby collinsrob » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:00 am

Just as an update there is a dam up a new track which is passable with hand rails and also 2 further brand new bridges before the dam. The damage is probably the easiest to pick up the footpath. No more wading through rivers!
collinsrob
Mountain Walker

Munros:30   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland