walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Inversions over Loch Lochy Munros

Inversions over Loch Lochy Munros

Postby scottishkennyg » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:56 pm

Munros included on this walk: Meall na Teanga, Sròn a' Choire Ghairbh

Date walked: 18/03/2016

Time taken: 5 hours

15 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The weather of late has been fine with some high pressure, lots of clear skies and ideal walking conditions as verified by the cracking photos in the recent walk reports . Unfortunately work gets in the way sometimes for some and as we know and it is not easy to break free.
An opportunity arose for an escape and I took it. It was bit late when I set off but I felt I could make the summit of at least one munro and hopefully catch a decent sunset. I cycled from Kilfinnan along the cracking road and stashed the bike. Soon I was on the old coffin route and heading up to the cam Bhealach. A few walkers passed me on their descent clearly having enjoyed a great day with the superb conditions.
As I gained height I could see that the clouds were moving in and I hoped for some good inversions. I also feared that the summits would be shrouded in cloud and zero visibility.
I entered the swirling cloud level at 710m. The temperature dropped and it was noticeably chillier. Visibility was not great but there is an obvious well-worn path that heads up to the right. There was some snow around but none on the path so it was easy walking. I was glad as I had left the ice axe and crampons behind in favour of the heavier camera.
I met three men descending who confirmed that they had enjoyed great views at the summit. They soon disappeared into the clouds and I carried on to the summit plateau.
ImageLochLochyMunros by scottishkennyg, on Flickr

The views to the NW were among the best that I have experienced.
The low level clouds were filling in all of the valleys and corries leaving just the peaks of the surrounding hills poking out. A view back over toward Meall na Teanga.

I sat on the summit for a wee while and fired away with the camera.
A view over to Knoydart

A view down to Ben Tee
Down the shoulder back to Kilfinnan
Over to Meall na Teanga and Nevis Range

A view to the West..

I sat down and loaded up with a chocolate ripple and wee bottle of Lucozade. I wondered if I could make it over to Meall na Teanga before the sunset. I reckoned I had an hour..so the decision was made.
Unfortunately I kept stopping to take shots of the dynamic scenery that was evolving around me.

I then entered the cloud base and descended to the bhealach. It seemed a lot darker in the dense cloud and for a minute I thought about heading back to the bike. No, there was no rush to get back to the pub yet. A short ascent took me back above the clouds and a return to the great views.
A view back over to Sron na Choire Ghairbh

The sun was getting low in the west and it was reflecting off the white clouds.

I negotiated a short icy section on the leeward side which led onto the shoulder of the ridge where the sun had cleared the route. Then it was up onto the ridge leading to the cairn. And time to sit back and watch the sun going down.

Out West
It was strange how the cloud layer had filled in the lower hollows of the landscape to the north and west yet over toward Ben Nevis it was sparse.

The clouds seemed to be rising like the high tide against the prominent ridges. The sharp peaks from Streap and over to Knoydart protruded impressively through the fluffy white layer against the contrasting backdrop of the tropical blue sky.

The sky remained clear as the sun began to set creating some lovely colours.

Loch Lochy was not visible as the clouds on that side were cast in shade and too dense.

After a wee bit of faffing around on the summit looking for the ideal money shot (my favourite snap)..

I began to get some wind chill and remembered that I did not have a full winter pack with me.. I felt it would be wise to start the descent whilst I could navigate easily with the naked eye.
Once again I kept stopping along the ridge to take even more shots.

As I walked the sun was on my left and cast my shadow into the clouds above Loch Lochy. This created the ideal conditions for a nice glory (rainbow) ring or Brocken Spectre.

When I reached the snow section I noticed the moon was prominent and had to take another shot.

I then got a step on. Thankfully the ground was dry on the main path and it was easy to maintain a descent pace back to the bike. In the woods I struggled to locate the bike initially. Then it was a short ascent followed by a rapid descent to return to the car in total darkness.
All in all a cracking evening with superb views which more than made up for the last visit here when the clag and midges won the day.
Apologies for including as many images but for me I had never seen a cloud inversion as big as this one except from an airplane window..I hope you enjoy the views.
scottishkennyg

Munros:282   

Re: Inversions over Loch Lochy Munros

Postby Gordie12 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:20 pm

That looked half decent............. :lol: :clap: :lol: :clap:
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby kev_russ » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:22 pm

oooft they pics hurt my eyes. In a good stunning way :wink:
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:77
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Postby litljortindan » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:41 pm

Those pictures are absolutely amazing, brilliant, jaw dropping!
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Jaxter » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:14 am

Wow what a cracking day, and smashing photos :clap: :D
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby Sunset tripper » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:38 pm

Brilliant pictures. I had a good inversion up there two different times................. But not as good as that. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:37 pm

Good grief! This is simply unbelievable - there must be 20+ candidates for pic of the month here :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I thought I'd seen the mother of all inversions on 8th June 2013 while in the Mullardoch area, but this seems even better!

I can understand why you choose the particular pic you do as your favourite, but honestly there are another 19+ that are similarly stunning.

No envious in the slightest, no, not at all....
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby ancancha » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:36 am

The money shot is priceless :lol:
Thanks for sharing 8)
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby 2manyYorkies » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:47 pm

Brilliant photos Kenny, shows the benefit of avoiding the middle of the day for the most interesting light. Very envious.
2manyYorkies
Mountain Walker

Munros:187   Corbetts:22
Hewitts:76
Wainwrights:113   

Postby scottishkennyg » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:47 pm

Thanks Geordie 12, certainly was a decent session compared to the last visit on this pair..Cheers Kenny

Thanx Kev_Rus, the images came out well but still not as good as what the eyes could see..Cheers Kenny

Littlejortindan- thanks for kind comments, yes the camera done well to capture some of the atmoshphere.

Thanks Jaxter

sunset tripper..I’m glad you got the inversions up there too..cracking site to sit and soak them up. Cheers Kenny

Alteknacker – thank you for the kind words about these images, tough competition as there is an abundance of excellent shots in the recent reports..Cheers Kenny

Ancancha- Glad you liked the MS..the clouds were gathering like large waves and I was lucky enough to zoom into this one and capture a shot..Cheers Kenny

2many Yorkies- you are spot on about the timing for the lighting..the plan worked this time..ATB Kenny
scottishkennyg

Postby jamesb63 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:50 pm

Great report and absolutely stunning pics to match :clap: :clap:
jamesb63
Munro compleatist

Munros:218   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   

Postby scottishkennyg » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:43 pm

jamesb63 wrote:Great report and absolutely stunning pics to match :clap: :clap:

thanks jamesb63...sometimes we get lucky and the pictures help to illustrate the story better than words can describe..so many great pictures in users reports this month and long may it continue. cheers Kenny
scottishkennyg

Postby rockhopper » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:40 pm

cracking day for it :mrgreen: :mrgreen: a nice pair of winter hills especially in these conditions ! - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby scottishkennyg » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:06 pm

rockhopper wrote:cracking day for it :mrgreen: :mrgreen: a nice pair of winter hills especially in these conditions ! - cheers :)

Spot on Neil..Cheers Kenny
scottishkennyg

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:08 pm

Stunning pictures, what a wonderful day.
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Munros:147   Corbetts:24
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:9   

15 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland