walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ciste Dhubh and An Bathach

Ciste Dhubh and An Bathach

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:00 pm

Route description: Ciste Dhubh and Am Bathach, Cluanie

Munros included on this walk: Ciste Dhubh

Corbetts included on this walk: Am Bathach

Date walked: 19/03/2016

Time taken: 8.45 hours

Distance: 12.9 km

Ascent: 979m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With the weather forecasters promising a dry day and low winds we decided that we should aim for something a little harder than many of the walks we have done this winter and Ciste Dhubh with its narrow ridge fitted the bill. We were unsure what the snow conditions would be like but the SAIS reports were for low avalanche risk in all areas and The Cairngorms had certainly lost there very white look.
We followed the The Walk the Highlands route in reverse and at 9:20 set out from the car park heading towards the Glen. The cloud was low and we could not see much above 500m.
image.jpeg
The route
image.jpeg
Low cloud in the Glen

It was a very pleasant walk through the the Glen and not as boggy as I expected. By 11:00 we had reached the end of the stream and it was time to head up to the Bealach.
image.jpeg
Heading up to the Bealach

Given the poor visability we decided to head for the base of the ridge on Ciste Dhubh. Bealach a'Choinich is almost a small plateau with 3 ridges and 3 descents leading from it. We were very :( aware the soft snow was hiding deep bog, Lochans and water courses, route finding across the Bealach was tedious and at times, quite tense in the mist.
image.jpeg
Bealach a' Choinich

So pleased to be able to get grid references from OS locate which helped us arrive at the ridge to Ciste Dhubh with at 12:00'with dry feet.
The ridge was quite broad to begin with and there was a path all the way. All the snow apart from one patch was avoidable. The way up to An Cnappach looked formidable so we took the bypass path
image.jpeg
Bypassing the first summit
but we enjoyed the remainder of the ridge which felt quite spectacular in the mist.
image.jpeg
Ciste Dhudh ridge
image.jpeg
Ciste Dhubh ridge
image.jpeg
Ridge leading into the cloud
image.jpeg
13:15 Ciste Dhubh summit
image.jpeg
? The tip of Mullach Fraoch Coire
After a brew and noodles above the clouds we left the summit at 14:00 and aimed to take in all the tops we missed on the way up.
image.jpeg
Looking down to Allt a Chomhlain
image.jpeg
Looking down to Allt Cam Ban
image.jpeg
Start of the ridge up to An Cnappach
image.jpeg
An Cnappach
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Looking across to Am Bathach
The mist started to clear as we were on our way back down to the Bealach and there was very little snow as we crossed it to reach Am Bathach.
image.jpeg
16:00 Am Bathach summit
image.jpeg
Looking back at Ciste Dhudbh
. Then another brew before a delightful walk along Am Bathach with great views across Loch Cluanie and towards the Brothers ridge and its Corries.
image.jpeg
Loch Cluanie and beyond
image.jpeg
Looking at Druim Shionnach and Anoach Air Chrith
image.jpeg
Final Descent
image.jpeg
18:00 and back at the car
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Munros:147   Corbetts:24
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:9   

Re: Ciste Dhubh and An Bathach

Postby litljortindan » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:35 pm

Must have been great to pop out of the cloud. A misty ridge seems to magnify the depths below too though.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:156   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:42 pm

The ridge part of the walk looks really excellent, and glad you got out of the mist in the end and got those great views.

Planning on getting to Ciste Dubh and one or two others in the area this year, and this has sharpened my appetite!!
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Petr Dakota » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:41 pm

Nice photos from the ridge :clap: I had not views from Ciste Dhubh last year there...in clag in the time, but clear when I got down and looked back :roll: :D

Alteknacker wrote:The ridge part of the walk looks really excellent, and glad you got out of the mist in the end and got those great views.

Planning on getting to Ciste Dubh and one or two others in the area this year, and this has sharpened my appetite!!

One or two ? As I know you, it means The Brothers and the Five Sisters as two...but sets :D :wink:
Very doable for you all the route: Am Bathach - Ciste Dhubh - Kintail Brothers - Five Sisters ( 7 Munros & 1 Corbett ), I almost did all of them last year, but left the 3 M of five Sisters for this year, solo and without a bike long way back on the road @ 25 km :crazy: with a bike or another car would be nice to continue. You are using your bike for this type of your efective trips so I'm not worried and without any doubts :D :wink:
Nice route all of them in the ridge line on top :thumbup:
My plans for Kintail this year: atleast twice there...one trip The Five Sisters and 2nd trip the 5M on the Easter side.
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Postby 2manyYorkies » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:38 pm

Going round the opposite direction looks to have been a grand decision. Hoping to do this next week. Nice report, thanks.
2manyYorkies
Mountain Walker

Munros:190   Corbetts:22
Hewitts:77
Wainwrights:117   

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:53 pm

Thank you all for your kind comments, I hope you have a good time in Kintail, it is great walking but we will never quite manage the great, long hikes you guys do :lol:
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:38 pm

Nice to see the summit of this hill which we didn't quite get to! Some lovely shots of the ridges.
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby Jaxter » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:09 pm

That ridge looks formidable :shock: good job!! Sometimes I think they're better in the clag...can't see the drop :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:15 pm

HalfManHalfTitanium wrote:Nice to see the summit of this hill which we didn't quite get to! Some lovely shots of the ridges.
Thank you It is always nice to have some hills to go back to in areas you love :
Jaxter wrote:That ridge looks formidable :shock: good job!! Sometimes I think they're better in the clag...can't see the drop :lol:
Very true, although I think the photos made the ridge look scary that it actually was.
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland