walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ridiculous week part 6

Ridiculous week part 6

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:05 am

Route description: Loch Lochy Munros from Kilfinnan

Munros included on this walk: Sròn a' Choire Ghairbh

Date walked: 18/03/2016

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After a glorious week, the forecast for the Friday was not quite as wall-to-wall sunshine - the valley cloud and mist was predicted to reach up the summits both north and east of our base at Invergarry - but to be maybe slightly less immediately South of us. We decided on one of the local "Loch Lochy Munros" - we would go to the Cam Bealach and then decide which one to do.

Early on Friday morning, the forecast seemed entirely correct. As so often on that week of perfect summit views, down in the Great Glen it was gloomy but almost eerily still at Loch Oich.

ImageIMG_6774 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Like every morning that week, we had breakfast at the excellent Well of the Seven Heads overlooking the loch.

Seven Heads' breakfast...

ImageIMG_8749 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Enjoying breakfast and coffee.

ImageIMG_8753 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Fortified by Haggis Rolls etc, the three of us who were walking that day went on to Kilfinnan. The walk past the farm and on through the forest was enjoyable even though mists loomed around. The turn-off for the Cam Bealach is marked with a sign and there's the landmark of a large boulder too. The plod up through the trees did not seem to take long and we soon emerged from the canopy into sunshine filtered through shreds of mist, and could see the path rising into the valley of the Allt Glas-Dhoire ahead,

ImageIMG_8757 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

As we approached the head of the valley we could see that the Cam Bealach was filled with cloud.

ImageIMG_8764 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

We reached the bealach in thick clag. A good path led off up towards Sron a'Choire Gharbh and it seemed to make the choice of Munro obvious. The path rises in easy zig-zags and soon we could see above the clouds.

ImageIMG_8772 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

As had happened earlier that week on Sgurr nan Eugallt, we emerged into warm sunshine.

ImageIMG_8779 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Suddenly we were in clear air, the excellent path beckoned us upwards, and we realised that we were nearing the summit ridge.

ImageIMG_8796 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Soon we reached the head of the massive horseshoe that makes up the Sron, and could look along the ridge leading to Sean Mheall

ImageIMG_8819 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

A little higher, and Loch Linnhe came into view

ImageIMG_8884 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

As well as an improved view over the Sean Mheall ridge towards hills such as Creag Meagaidh, Beinn a'Chaorainn and Beinn a'Chlachair (left to right skyline in this photo)

ImageIMG_8957 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

From here on the walk was sheer delight. We kept stopping to admire the views.

ImageIMG_8858 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Looking back to Meall na Teanga. Left of its summit are the Grey Corries and Binnein Mor, with Aonach Beag, Aonach Mor, Carn Mor Dearg and Ben Nevis above and to the right.

ImageIMG_8949 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

South-west to Gulvain, Sgurr Thuilm and Sgurr nan Coireachean

ImageIMG_8903 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Looking from the summit cairn - Meall nan Dearcag and the Sean Mheall ridge rising from the mists

ImageIMG_8880 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

At the cairn

ImageIMG_8898 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

North-west from the summit looking over the Meall a'Choire Ghlais ridge to a skyline of Ciste Dubh, A'Chralaig, Sgurr nan Ceathreamnan, Mullach Fraoch-Choire, Sgurr nan Conbhairean, Mam Sodhail and Carn Eige.

ImageIMG_8893 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Northwards towards Ben Tee, with the Strathfarrar hills and Ben Wyvis in the remote distance. If you look at the Flickr image and click the little magnifying glass thingy, you can just about make out a wind turbine rising spectrally through the clouds below Ben Wyvis.

ImageIMG_8942 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Down to Loch Linnhe

ImageIMG_8867 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

West to Knoydart - a skyline of "broken teeth" - prominent peaks are Bidean a'Chabair, Sgurr na Coireachan, Sgurr na Ciche, Sgurr Mor and Luinne Bheinn.

ImageIMG_8866 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Meall na Teanga again, couldn't resist

ImageMeall na Teanga by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

On the descent we saw some dramatic clouds back over Cam Bealach

ImageIMG_9039 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_9032 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr
Last edited by HalfManHalfTitanium on Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Re: Ridiculous week part 6

Postby mrssanta » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:29 am

Ooh fantastic
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:31 am

Thanks mrssanta! It was a great day - and we felt especially lucky that after such a good week, despite a less favourable forecast, the weather delivered once again!
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Postby Beery Hiker » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:59 am

Looks like another fine day - more great pictures (I suspect I was on the coach to Glasgow for most of this one and the cloud was thicker further south)...
Beery Hiker
Walker

Munros:77   Corbetts:13
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:132
Wainwrights:119   Islands:5

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:11 pm

Beery Hiker wrote:Looks like another fine day - more great pictures (I suspect I was on the coach to Glasgow for most of this one and the cloud was thicker further south)...

yes - sadly you missed a great walk. We chose the peak quite carefully instead of something in either Kintail or the main Lochaber hills - to avoid the clouds forecast for both further south and further north. (But it turned out most summits were above the clouds anyway).

It was all the more enjoyable because we had decided to just do the one Munro, and therefore we could take our time and really enjoy the views (and spot ghostly wind turbines) rather than rush back down to the bealach and up to the second summit.

Never mind, I would be more than happy to do this easy and super-scenic walk again sometime if we are in the area another time.

The walk-in along the level forest track is good too. i was worried it might seem like a long way - but it seemed very short compared to the Ben Macdui walk-in!
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:39 pm

Lovely pictures.
I've enjoyed all your reports of your week in this great area.
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Munros:147   Corbetts:24
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:9   

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:22 pm

Cairngorm creeper wrote:Lovely pictures.
I've enjoyed all your reports of your week in this great area.

thanks for your kind words! We were very, very lucky!

Also our "lazy" tactic is just to climb one mountain per day - well, Conbhairean was technically two munros, but it felt like just one big hill ! So as to be able to take our time and sit or stand around enjoying the views, rather than trying to bag several peaks in a day. My epic days are long gone - along with my left knee!

Enjoyed reading your report on Ciste Dubh and Am Bathach - went there a few years ago but ran out of time and did not quite get to the top. It looks like an airy summit!!
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Postby Jaxter » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:03 pm

Wow some stunning pictures here!! :clap: That Friday was amazing wasn't it, I was stuck in work. Shame tomorrow looks terrible!
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:20 pm

Jaxter wrote:Wow some stunning pictures here!! :clap: That Friday was amazing wasn't it, I was stuck in work. Shame tomorrow looks terrible!

Thanks! We we ridiculously lucky - sunshine every day and crystal visibility. My 2 drumochter munros on the last day looking a bit weedy compared to your epic!
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Postby litljortindan » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:40 pm

I should pay more attention to inversion forecasts I think! Some sublime views there.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Mal Grey » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:04 pm

Fabulous!

Quite a week.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland