walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Week in Deepest Darkest Yorkshire

A Week in Deepest Darkest Yorkshire

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:48 am

Hewitts included on this walk: Pen-y-ghent, Plover Hill, Whernside

Date walked: 25/10/2015

Distance: 40 km

Ascent: 1453m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Back in October last year we spent a week in the Yorkshire Dales ensconced in a lovely cottage in Selside just outside of Horton in Ribblesdale. The weather for the week was far from ideal with high winds and torrential rain at times but we still managed to get out once or twice. Thought I'd do a catch up report.

Pen-y-Gent and Plover Hill 25th October 2015, 16km 612m

With a poor forecast to come we took advantage of a relatively dry Sunday and pootled down to Horton to do a classic round of Pen-y-Gent, tagging Plover Fell onto the walk as it would hrave been rude not to. It was grey and overcast with the tops in cloud as we set off. Even though the cloud appeared to be lifting we were denied any really clear views following the entertainingly rocky route to Pen-y-Gent summit.

Misty Halo by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Pen-y-Gent by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Pen-y-Gent Summit by Anthony Young, on Flickr

From here we crossed the wide and very boggy col towards Plover Fell, following much dancing and zig zagging to avoid the worst of it we were confronted with the sight of what looked like a long since destroyed stile and a very difficult climb over the wall. We back tracked to find a week point in the wall where most have passed over and bagged the unimpressive top of Plover Fell.

ImageTowards Polver Fell by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageOn Plover Fell by Anthony Young, on Flickr

The route down and around the high ground was very pleasant and had the added bonus of taking in Hull and Hunt Pots. Hunt pot in particular was impressive, a true glimpse into the underworld.

ImageDescending Plover Fell by Anthony Young, on Flickr

On the way back by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Hull Pot by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Hunt Pot by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Pen-y-Gent by Anthony Young, on Flickr

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Wernside 27th October 2015, 14km, 621m

Monday was actually quite sunny but with severe upland gales we gave the hills a rest but returned on Tuesday to climb Yorkshire's highest fell. Once again we used a well worn classic route for Wernside, this was a walk where the difference between dale and fell tops was very distinct, a pleasant autumnal day lower down and a howling wind with very poor visibility up high. All in all not too bad however and nice to get another fell walk in before the worst of the weather set in.

Ribblehead Viaduct by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Blea Moor Signal Box by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageRailway by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageWhich way now? by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Force Gill by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Dramatic Skies. by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageInto the Clag by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Summit by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Grace and Hughie on the top of Yorkshire by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Winterscales Farm by Anthony Young, on Flickr

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The remainder of the week was very much a wash out apart from a lovely evening on the Wednesday spent on a short walk up to Cautley Spout, and a Friday drive to Grange over Sands which, for that day at least escaped the worst of the rain.

ImageCautley Beck by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageYarlside textures by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageBaugh Fell by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageCautley Spout by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking down by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageCataract. by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageUpper Falls by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageTumble Down by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Great Asby Scar 31st October 2015, 10km 220m

We did manage to fit one more walk in on our way home when we had a nice easy wander around Great Asby Scar. A fascinating landscape now thankfully fully protected for all to appreciate.

ImageSunbiggin Tarn by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageOn Tarn Moor by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageRuins by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageOn the Scar by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageGreat Asby Scar by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageCurrick by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageMan and nature by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Last edited by johnkaysleftleg on Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: A Week in Deepest Darkest Yorkshire

Postby trailmasher » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:22 pm

Some damn decent photos here JK :clap: :clap: and a great report to boot :clap: Despite the less than good weather you achieved a lot in your week away but, shame on you for conning our Hughie out on a day out to Whernside :wink: just look at the face on him parked up on the trig point at Whernside :lol: :lol: and Grace didn't look much drier either :lol: Shame eh! 8)
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Alteknacker » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:15 pm

Great stuff - (but I would say that: this is where I grew up!!). It's amazing to me that it's over 50 years since I last did the 3 peaks, but I can remember that approach to Whernside (shown on one of your pics) as clearly in the detail as if it were yesterday :shock:

Just goes to show wimps like me that you really can make something out of poor weather if you set your mind to it.
I love the smiling but drenched daughter!!

The last sequence of pics are absolutely stunning - pic of the month is going to be really competitive this month!!
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby ChrisW » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:28 am

I thought we were friends JK and here you are with all this lovely Yorkshire lying around on your computer for 5 months :roll: Some beautiful images there mate, the one with the pennine way sign really did it for me, every single thing about these images looks like home and with my boy here for a few weeks, home is close to my heart right now :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Jaywizz » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:39 am

Great photos - really atmospheric, and in one of my favourite parts of the country. Brought back many good memories. Thank you for posting.
Jaywizz
Wanderer

Munros:237   Corbetts:34
Fionas:71   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:172   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:4   Islands:26

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:24 am

trailmasher wrote:Some damn decent photos here JK :clap: :clap: and a great report to boot :clap: Despite the less than good weather you achieved a lot in your week away but, shame on you for conning our Hughie out on a day out to Whernside :wink: just look at the face on him parked up on the trig point at Whernside :lol: :lol: and Grace didn't look much drier either :lol: Shame eh! 8)

Many thanks TM, Hughie didn't mind Wernside, no Peat Hags and deep heather!

Alteknacker wrote:Great stuff - (but I would say that: this is where I grew up!!). It's amazing to me that it's over 50 years since I last did the 3 peaks, but I can remember that approach to Whernside (shown on one of your pics) as clearly in the detail as if it were yesterday :shock:

Just goes to show wimps like me that you really can make something out of poor weather if you set your mind to it.
I love the smiling but drenched daughter!!

The last sequence of pics are absolutely stunning - pic of the month is going to be really competitive this month!!

Thanks, once you've paid for the accommodation it would be rude not to at least have a go at getting out, some days it was a pre-courser to what happened in December. These pics were all back in October 2015 so not eligible for pic of the month, many more that are however :D

ChrisW wrote:I thought we were friends JK and here you are with all this lovely Yorkshire lying around on your computer for 5 months :roll: Some beautiful images there mate, the one with the pennine way sign really did it for me, every single thing about these images looks like home and with my boy here for a few weeks, home is close to my heart right now :wink:

Better late than never Chris :wink: Just been up another Dales Fell yesterday, I promise the report won't take as long.

Jaywizz wrote:Great photos - really atmospheric, and in one of my favourite parts of the country. Brought back many good memories. Thank you for posting.

Thank you, it's a pleasure
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland