walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Knoydart, Meall Buidhe & Luinne Bheinn

Knoydart, Meall Buidhe & Luinne Bheinn

Postby Les Stuart » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:49 pm

Munros included on this walk: Luinne Bheinn, Meall Buidhe (Knoydart)

Date walked: 22/05/2010

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 1400m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

On Friday 21st May a group of us got a ferry at 6pm to Inverie on Knoydart from Mallaig, though the sun had been shining all day on the road north, it was raining in Maillag and had been most of the day. While waiting on our ferry The Odyssey, several small fishing boats docked and unloaded there catch of shrimps, lobsters and other small fish.
As we sailed the rain stopped and the skies lightened and when we arrived at Inverie the sun was making an attempt to shine as we sat outside the Old Forge having a drink before dinner at 7.30. We had a good meal a couple of drinks then the long walk to the Drum Bothy in Gleannn Meadail which is marked on the OS map as a ruin and was going to be home for the next three nights. Apparently it was converted into a "posh" Bothy a number of years ago and it was my first experience of staying in one and would not like to think what a standard bothy is like.
P1010001.JPG

We all settled down for the night and in the morning we split into two groups as various people had done some of the Munros and others like myself had not done any. I went with the group to do Meall Buidhe and Luinne Bheinn and since we were near the base of the ridge for Meall Buidhe we opted to do the two hills anti clockwise by heading east along the path from the Bothy for a short distance to a bridge which we crossed over then headed diagonally up the very steep grassy slope to get up onto the ridge.
P1010004.JPG

We eventually picked up the path on the ridge and made our way over several ups and downs to the summit. Unfortunately the weather was very poor with low mist from almost the beginning and when on the ridge you could only see about ten yards in front of you hence the lack of photos. On our return on Monday the ferryman told us that the Skye ferry on Saturday morning could not get into Maillag harbour until the mist lifted as it was down to about five yards.
P1010006.JPG

We set off north east to Meall Coire na Gaoithein Ear and though there was deep corries we were unable to see them and felt you were missing part of the excitement of the walk.On this section we passed several groups taking the more traditional route of clockwise and had a few chats. From there we headed north and dropped down to a col at 683m before the steep climb to Luinne Bheinn.
P1010008.JPG

P1010007.JPG

Then we headed north west to Mam Barrisdale then south west to take us past the Loch an Dubh-Lochain and by then the mist had lifted up to the higher tops of the mountains and passed a cow and her two calves out for an evening stroll.
P1010009.JPG

It was one of the hardest days that I have had with so many steep ups and downs and only regret was not being able to get views.
Les Stuart

Munros:226   Corbetts:6

Re: Knoydart, Meall Buidhe & Luinne Bheinn

Postby monty » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:11 pm

Very interesting report Les,
Mainly due to the fact that I haven't bagged any munros in Knoydart yet. :lol: Shame about the clag though. didn't get much of a view. Drum bothy looks excellent as bothies go. I can't see it on the MBA website so I wonder who keeps it shipshape. I have marked the ruin on my map as the bothy, thanks for that. :D
monty

Postby mountain coward » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:51 pm

Great pic of the 2 cows :lol: Yeah, shame you didn't get any views - good job you had someone who knew where they were going up front eh? I always think it would be very hard navigation in Knoydart in mist...
mountain coward

Postby Les Stuart » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:08 pm

monty wrote:Very interesting report Les,
Mainly due to the fact that I haven't bagged any munros in Knoydart yet. :lol: Shame about the clag though. didn't get much of a view. Drum bothy looks excellent as bothies go. I can't see it on the MBA website so I wonder who keeps it shipshape. I have marked the ruin on my map as the bothy, thanks for that. :D

The Druim Bothy is run by the Kilchoan Estate, Knoydart and accommodates 8-10 people.
Les Stuart

Postby Les Stuart » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:10 pm

mountain coward wrote:Great pic of the 2 cows :lol: Yeah, shame you didn't get any views - good job you had someone who knew where they were going up front eh? I always think it would be very hard navigation in Knoydart in mist...

The route is well pathed though you do need to use map, compass and GPS is good if you have one.
Les Stuart

Postby magicdin » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:25 pm

Les Stuart wrote:
monty wrote:Very interesting report Les,

The Druim Bothy is run by the Kilchoan Estate, Knoydart and accommodates 8-10 people.

follow this link http://www.knoydart-foundation.com/
magicdin
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

Postby malky_c » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:05 pm

Good area, unlucky with the weather though!

Thanks for the Bothy info. I remember someone at Sourlies saying they were planning on using this, but didn't know exactly where it was. Thought it might be the Gleann Meadail ruin, but a confirmation is always good! Looks a lot fancier than I was expecting, too...

As already mentioned, definitely not an MBA bothy.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland